Snobbery and greed in hobbies.

RobL

Never quite got the antipathy that some modellers have towards using a paint brush and acrylic paints. I stopped using enamels when my children were young as domestically the strong solvent smell didn't go down very well (probably some would say my own fault for not having a fully fitted work area etc, coz I am not obviously a a 'serious' modeller). Also the line of work I was in made me wary as to the even low levels of exposure to solvents. Being around people dying not very nicely can make one cautious.

I use both airbrush and hairy sticks as you cannot realistically use an airbrush for absolutely everything. Acrylics require different techniques, and learning can be fun. I am also not afraid of short run, resin or vacforms for the same reasons, so each to his own. 

I also think nothing wrong with paint brushes and acrylics. My brothers great passion is painting and drawing in a variety of mediums, he is good enough to make money out of it, so there may be something in it. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/07/2022 at 11:14, Rob G said:

What a strange chap...

Very, and some weeks later after he was allowed back in, Greg's Spidey-Senses served him well again.  His first post back was a lovely rant calling ALL our parentage and genetic heritage into question, but as he was on Mod Preview (good work Greg), you didn't have to see it.  More projection on his part I suspect, and a person in serious need of counselling.  Anyway, he's gone the way of the dinosaur now, sadly without the meteor :shrug:

Why can't people just be nice? :dull:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, Mike said:

Very, and some weeks later after he was allowed back in, Greg's Spidey-Senses served him well again.  His first post back was a lovely rant calling ALL our parentage and genetic heritage into question, but as he was on Mod Preview (good work Greg), you didn't have to see it.  More projection on his part I suspect, and a person in serious need of counselling.  Anyway, he's gone the way of the dinosaur now, sadly without the meteor :shrug:

Why can't people just be nice? :dull:

Left multiple forums after having issues with the Mods and users. Waited until a suspension was up here, and immediately signed in, just to tell us all that we (Mods and users) were the problem and not him; again. Whilst of course not considering we would use post preview.

Dunning Kruger is proven...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I had to look it up too. I still don't understand it

That person's writings and ideas reminded me of a chap I once had to work with. It brought back some very painful memories. His antics brought in the PSNI

Any ways, back on topic. 

I did come across snobbery in archery. Especially regarding long bows. Mine are single piece lemonwood. But I got snobbery from others that they are not yew, not proper long bows. I politely either ignored them or informed them that the very original famous long bows were of Welsh Elm wood. I could still out shoot most of them 'uns using their yew bows and when I did, I once had a complaint lodged with the judges that my long bow was not a 'proper' one therefore I should be disqualified.

• Sad 2

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

That person's writings and ideas reminded me of a chap I once had to work with. It brought back some very painful memories. His antics brought in the PSNI

Any ways, back on topic. 

I did come across snobbery in archery. Especially regarding long bows. Mine are single piece lemonwood. But I got snobbery from others that they are not yew, not proper long bows. I politely either ignored them or informed them that the very original famous long bows were of Welsh Elm wood. I could still out shoot most of them 'uns using their yew bows and when I did, I once had a complaint lodged with the judges that my long bow was not a 'proper' one therefore I should be disqualified.

That’s actually pretty low, jealousy in people is horrible. I’ve encountered it in many places in my life. But there doesn’t have to be, I guess it’s just in some peoples nature 😳.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 12:52 AM, Black Knight said:

Simplified, someone being too dumb to realise how dumb they are. Most of us have some idea of our foibles & short comings & can admit to them & accommodate them, but some people have such a huge lack of self awareness they can never grapple with the fact that the problem might lie with them & we all know that you can't cure stupid. 

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

One of my old parents friends is and was a modeller.

While my dad was the first to gift me an airplane kit, it was this guy's terrific model making skills that really got me into the hobby. He also had a massive library on everything mechanical (in particular flying), so when my family was visiting theirs, I was allowed to look through that Alexandria's library on everything flying and from then my path was set.

Sadly, he got caught with an allergy and could first no longer airbrush (he donated his airbrush to me) and then could not longer even paint using brushes or use plastic glue. He tried to build paper models for a while (at the time I had a collection of that so I donated that to him) but eventually he could not even do that, so he now has to resort to using plain paper and scissors to build rather limited models.

It might seem childish to an outsider; if you do not know his story.

And I am sure we have also all met a few people with ADHD or PTSD for whom finishing SOMETHING, ANYTHING is a success. No matter if it is even building a small plane without the use of paint or otherwise.

A chap I know works with traumatized children and things like models, jigsaw puzzles etc. are a way of therapy.  (Focus, concentration, "that was then", "this is here and now" etc. etc.)

We do not know anyone's story so, unless someone is asking for feedback, or its someone I know well to give a bit of helpful nudge, I will never say anything else but good work.

• Like 6

On 11/08/2022 at 04:08, Greg B said:

Dunning Kruger is proven...

Just spent ages reading up the Dunning Kruger effect and their research misses out a phenomenon I have encountered in the past. 

Basically it’s described thus:-

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people wrongly overestimate their knowledge or ability in a specific area. This tends to occur because a lack of self-awareness prevents them from accurately assessing their own skills.

Now I reckon I don’t suffer from that and I know my limitations but after several beers ………………

• Haha 6

After reading some interesting and  indeed, moving comments and stories I am reminded how broad a church 'scale modelling' is. It may be that because modelling covers so much ground that it is relatively easy for people to take up some quite entrenched views on what consistutes a 'good' model.  

I enjoy looking at other people's models and can appreciate their skills,  even though I cannot match them.  We all model for different reasons and put in the skill and commitment we feel we can afford and our sense of proportion permits us to devote to a hobby.  For me, the demands of parenting and earning money from my career took priority over building models.  Now I am retired and my children have ostensibly grown up,  things have changed.  As others have pointed out,  people's back stories influence what they do,  think and believe and some allowance needs to be given for that.  I enjoy modelling,  not only because I am interested in what I build,  but the benefits it brings to my mental and physical health after some challenging times. 

I do worry that we do seem to be heading towards a society where things like social media and instant communication,  make it easier for views to become more polarised,  not just in politics but in other ways as well. 

• Like 5

Well said @Mr T

I think all social media gives us all the ability to be journalists. That is power without responsibility. The right to write without concern as to the impact of content on the reader. Oh and I suspect teaching manners to the next generation is a dying discipline though my 16 year old has had a traditional guide in this respect. 

• Like 2

If you count owning/driving/playing with/showing vintage/true classic/PVT/modern classic cars as being hobbies; there is a shocking amount of snobbery involved

eg. I own a 1930 Austin 7 Ulster, this one

ANX,%2002-M.jpg

I'm in a vintage sports car club. I/we race, trial and compete in this car. As you can see it gets very dirty.

Certain other clubs specially for the pre-war (WW2) Austin 7 wont allow me to join because I race a racing car. I can join if I stop racing

I had similar snobbery when I had some American cars. Not allowed into the 'modern classics' clubs as the American cars are never 'classics', but an Austin Montego was

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

On 8/19/2022 at 1:28 AM, Black Knight said:

If you count owning/driving/playing with/showing vintage/true classic/PVT/modern classic cars as being hobbies; there is a shocking amount of snobbery involved

eg. I own a 1930 Austin 7 Ulster, this one

ANX,%2002-M.jpg

I'm in a vintage sports car club. I/we race, trial and compete in this car. As you can see it gets very dirty.

Certain other clubs specially for the pre-war (WW2) Austin 7 wont allow me to join because I race a racing car. I can join if I stop racing

I had similar snobbery when I had some American cars. Not allowed into the 'modern classics' clubs as the American cars are never 'classics', but an Austin Montego was

That really sucks BK, I'd venture to suggest you could mange with the company of those you describe, I'm sure the racing is a heap more fun.

Steve.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That really sucks BK, I'd venture to suggest you could mange with the company of those you describe, I'm sure the racing is a heap more fun.

Steve.

Two of the reasons for joining such clubs are;

1. cheaper classic car insurance, only available to members of a recognised club, eg. with my Cadillac, regular insurance was £1750, as a car club member, same basic insurance  + extra cover was £120 pa

2. access to special spares, usually through the car club network

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Two of the reasons for joining such clubs are;

1. cheaper classic car insurance, only available to members of a recognised club, eg. with my Cadillac, regular insurance was £1750, as a car club member, same basic insurance  + extra cover was £120 pa

2. access to special spares, usually through the car club network

I can understand your angst then, I'm glad I don't have to face such a conundrum.

Steve.

A lot of interesting point of views here. So here is what irks me

At hobby clubs (photography, modelling): there always are too many that boast they've got a bigger one even if they dunno how to use it (speaking of a telephoto lens- camera, guys). The places I like are full with people who share, teach and learn (thanks BM).

Airbrush or hairy stick: I only prefer airbrushing because I'm not worth anything with a brush

Branding: brand fanboys to the point of trolling who's not on their side. I don't care about the brand as long as it suits my needs and expectations and I enjoy to use it, car or airbrush or anything.

The "what! you don't have this newest and shiniest electronic toy/kit" type. My simple answer: "The most versatile tool for my hobby has been a cocktail stick for fifty years"

Oh, this thread wasn't meant for  :blahblahblah: :rant: :angry:. Sorry, I'm off. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I can understand your angst then, I'm glad I don't have to face such a conundrum.

Steve.

No angst, just unbelievable how snooty some 'classic' car owners can be. And there are a lot in the classic/vintage car world

I could fill pages with stories about the snobbery just in clubs here