Panzer IVF

The second of my recent completions. This Tamiya Pzkw IV F was finished in 2021 in a tropical scheme camouflage, but I wasn't very happy with it. Earlier this year, I dropped the model and it got pretty banged up. I was able to find all the pieces that had fallen off and decided to repaint.  I think I like this a lot more than I did the original. No laughing at the figures, please. I'm still struggling with painting them.

I painted the model with Mission Models paint. I have read some very polarized opinions about the product and wanted to see for myself. I loved the richness of the color. When I first sprayed it, I remember thinking that I never thought gray paint could be so pretty. It has these rich greenish undertones that simply look great. On the other hand I had a really hard time working out the thinner and hardner ratios. I mixed everything very carefully to company specifiations, but it felt "heavy" and viscous coming out of my airbrush. I got a smooth coat in the end, but there was a thick overspray, and I don't think this paint would be good for freehand camouflage. I'm accustomed to thinning my Tamiya, Gunze, and AK Real Colors to an almost watery consistency and being able to spray pretty smooth lines with them, so this felt very odd. I continued to experiment with higher thinning ratios, but the paint suddenly went from too thick to too thin.  Still and all, the paint dried very nice and even on the model, and produced a good durable finish (with the older Tamiya colors as an undercoat - experiments on bare plastic led to paint rubbing off). In the end, I'm on the fence with Mission Models. I loved the color, and I like how it leveled as it dried. It was also super easy to clean up. But I did not like how thickly it sprayed and how I could not minimize overspray. 

But back to the model. After the MM paint went on, I gave the whole thing a classic Verlinden style weathering. Some cloud patterns of the original color but lightened (with Mission Models buff) misted onto panel centers, followed by a general area wash of dark brown/black oils, a light drybrushing with a slightly ligther version of the base coats, and a sprinkle of pigments at the end. Simple and outdated, but I like it. The whole thing took one week, 

Photos were given a "sunscreen" filter to maintain the 1980s feel to the whole thing. 

PXL_20220628_233450841-XL.jpg

PXL_20220628_233500734-XL.jpg

PXL_20220628_233511414-XL.jpg

PXL_20220628_233529770-XL.jpg

PXL_20220628_233553272-XL.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done and nothing wrong with them figures either 👍I still use the good old dry brush method as i just can't be bothered with all them 'modern' weathering techniques 😀

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

Fantastic result. The dunkelgrau looks good as it's dark enough for a model without being overwhelming and doesn't have that weird blue tinge that seems popular with some modellers. 

Nice figures too. 

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 17:39, IanC said:

Fantastic result. The dunkelgrau looks good as it's dark enough for a model without being overwhelming and doesn't have that weird blue tinge that seems popular with some modellers. 

Nice figures too. 

+1

On 01/07/2022 at 16:43, old_tonto said:

It looks authentic.

That's what I thought too. It's modelling right?

Hi SoftScience,

It looks like a very well finished and detailed model in general, and the figures are not bad either, they are more than decent....
I have heard on some sites that dry brush is an obsolete and disused technique, but I think that well executed and without exaggeration, it still creates beautiful effects....
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍