Hasegawa 1/72 F-104G, NASA

Hi,

I have several century series in the shelf, but none was actually slotted for GB...

and the I found this when we were packing for a move..

IMG-20220629-173544.jpg

I can't remember when I bought this, but when I saw the decal..

IMG-20220629-173520.jpg

I know it should be build at the earnest.. and it would be a good reason to join this GB, with a NASA bird.

Beside, I already build the natural metal zipper few years back...

20190810-133319.jpg

So after a short permission on the GB chat room, I start the build;

IMG-20220630-151806.jpg

Hasegawa provided the instrument panel as clear parts...

Can't really understand why, though.

I'm sure the 1/72 F-104 is one of their older masterpiece.. the fitting and level of detail surpass their other releases in 1/72.

IMG-20220630-151744.jpg

I just add throttle lever in the cockpit

IMG-20220630-151723.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 12

Thanks for all the kind words, gents....

Like I said the overall fitting was good, except for few parts which I think it was due to my fault...

Filled the wing, I want to build it without any pylon 

IMG-20220701-003946.jpg

Primer on...

IMG-20220701-174027.jpg

Meanwhile I try to play a bit with the ejection seat with masking tape and lead wires...

IMG-20220702-163405.jpg

Not bad...?

IMG-20220702-011210.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have my temporary work bench up and running.

After repairing several models which broken during the move, I continued the zipper 

20220712-112808.jpg

20220712-112838.jpg

I'm following the kit instructions with all white scheme. I have thoughts to paint it with light blue undersides, but I didn't find any reference photo of this practicular airframe (N811NA) with that scheme...

Decide to paint the nose anti glare too, since I torn the decal when trying to apply it...

20220713-063125.jpg

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I just got back home after another hitch off shore, with beautiful plan on finishing the "zipper". 

Sat on my workbench, cut and dip the decal, apply sit on the kit, and this happened;

spacer.png

Almost flew it to the wall when better judgement took over, and found the same kit in local online shop, only one left too... So bought it with intention to only source the decals (without any idea what to do with the kit parts, though).

The kit will arrive in 2-3 days.. so this time I clear coat the surface to help with next decalling process (I hope)

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mario

• Sad 2

Oooof. I had same problem with some Hasegawa F-15J Aggressor decals not too long ago but I was able to make them work well enough. But they were small and not so noticeable on an aggressor paint job. 

Hope the next set works better. Otherwise it would be possible to paint the datk blue? 

• Like 1

Good news... The decals arrived, and the accompanying plastic parts are kept away.

spacer.png

The not so good news... Turns out the new decals was not so good either. Some cracking but still manageable.. I have to resort by painting with Tamiya enamel paints (flat blue, mixed with a little green) to touch up the cracks. 

spacer.png

Got to admit... I need to find a way to blend the painted blue with the decals. 

The bad news;  me, wife, and kids were tested positive with Covid. We all got mild symptoms, but this also means fewer time for building, and more time nursing the family.

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 5

I am sorry to hear that the new decals have also given you problems Mario, but the job you have done on getting them on and painting areas that needed work is very good.

I am also very sorry to hear that you and your family have caught covid, I really hope that you all only have very mild symptoms and that you make a full recovery very soon.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 1:22 AM, arfa1983 said:

Hope you feel better soon mate.

Why not use the old crappy decals to patch what you need to?

I literally went to my workbench and do your suggestion @arfa1983. I remembered I've successfully use this technique in one of my old build... And I don't know why I forget. Thanks for reminding me.

The landing gears and doors installed and the whole kit received a clear gloss coat, and enamel wash, finally wings installed and followed by semi-gloss coat. All using Mr.color products.

spacer.png

I always dreaded the canopy masking... And this build proved why.. a lot of paint, canopy glue, masking adhesive, clear coat seeping under the masking tape. 

I tried to scrapping it out using leftovers sprue, also small touch up on the canopy frames. 

spacer.png

I can't say I'm 100% satisfies with the results, though. 

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 4