Wynns 192 Dreadnought (M26 Pacific "Dragon Wagon") - dimensions, photos, details?

bootneck

I'm looking for the dimensions of this Scammell Contractor, as used by Wynns.   I could do with L x W x H and especially the wheelbase dimensions please.  Next query,  is there a compatible kit; similar size and wheelbase, in 1:35 scale that could be used for a conversion project to this vehicle?

cheers,
Mike

Edited by bootneck
Heading changed to Wynns M26 Dragon Wagon

According to my 1973 Observer's Book of Commercial Vehicles:

Overall l x w x h  348 x 122 x 112in

Wheelbase (mean) 204in (I assume this means from centre front wheel to centre of driven bogie)

Hope that's of some help. :like:

In case you're wondering, yes, my little book is very well battered and thumbed! The front cover just fell off, and the dust jacket hasn't been seen for at least 40 years!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surely if it's a contractor, the wheelbase is variable? 

tish boom

I'll get me coat.... 

As a serious suggestion (and you possibly already know this, if you do, my apologies in advance), there's at least one magazine devoted to old Brit road iron, surely somewhere in their archives they'd have the information and images that you seek. I cannot recall the name right now, but a bit of googling on the confuser should come up trumps. 

9 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

According to my 1973 Observer's Book of Commercial Vehicles:

Overall l x w x h  348 x 122 x 112in

Wheelbase (mean) 204in (I assume this means from centre front wheel to centre of driven bogie)

Hope that's of some help. :like:

In case you're wondering, yes, my little book is very well battered and thumbed! The front cover just fell off, and the dust jacket hasn't been seen for at least 40 years!

Thanks Heather, just what I was looking for!  :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, richellis said:

Email the Scammell register. There a lovely helpful bunch 👍

Thanks Rich but all sorted, thanks to Heather's response.

Cheers,
Mike

How about this one then?  I know that it is a converted M26 Pacific; therefore a 1:35 scale kit is available to convert; however the new cab and windows look to be taller than the original Pacific.  Anyone got and dimensions, or plans, for this version please?

I intend to make, convert or scratchbuild either the Contractor or the Pacific; it just depends on which is easier to get specific details etc., to make a start.

cheers,

Mike

On 30/06/2022 at 09:33, JeroenS said:

Hi Mike, Accurate Armour do some of these types of Scammells... prices are a bit steep though.

Those kits look great Jeroen but way above my pay grade!  Thanks for the link, at least I can enjoy looking at the images. :D

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Those kit look great Jeroen but way above my pay grade!  Thanks for the link, at least I can enjoy looking at the images. :D

cheers,
Mike

Yep... it's what I do... 

Would like one of these though... 

• Like 1

I hope you do get one eventually Jeroen.  I may just follow up with a request for some measurements!  :whistle:

One of their kits that did interest me was the Fordson E38w van; however, that type is out of production.  I do like those utility vehicles.

cheers,

Mike

18 hours ago, bootneck said:

How about this one then?  I know that it is a converted M26 Pacific; therefore a 1:35 scale kit is available to convert; however the new cab and windows look to be taller than the original Pacific.  Anyone got and dimensions, or plans, for this version please?

I intend to make, convert or scratchbuild either the Contractor or the Pacific; it just depends on which is easier to get specific details etc., to make a start.

cheers,

Mike

The chassis wasn’t altered in any way so the axles and suspension are the same. They did replace the engines to Diesels, they chopped the armoured cab off, and selling the scrap paid for the lorry!

the cabs are all built by Wynns in the workshop so no two are identical. Pick one and find as many pics of that lorry to copy

Thanks Rich, that is what I intend to do.   I have chosen Wynn's tractor no. 192 "Dreadnought", pulling a trailer with the Coronation Class 46235 "City of Birmingham".  It was being transported to the Birmingham Science Museum in May 1966.

spacer.png

photo source [c] Terence Doherty

I shall start researching and gathering photographic and other details.  I'm also trying to find information on the type of trailer carrying the loco.

cheers,

Mike

• Like 5

Thanks Rich, I shall have to proceed "as I see it".   

I have drawn up, what I believe are, the side profiles of the Wynns version of a Pacific M26, and cut them on the cutter.

spacer.png

Some changes, compared to an M26 Dragon Wagon, are the raised roof,  longer side windows and smaller; therefore, lower wheel arch diameters.

spacer.png

This is just experimental, hence it's not in the WiP section.  Checking the colour image in my previous response, I don't have a clue as to what the rear section looks like, or what is contained in that area; therefore, if anyone can provide any positive help before I proceed any further; then I would be grateful to hear from them.

cheers,

Mike

• bootneck changed the title to Wynns 192 Dreadnought (M26 Pacific "Dragon Wagon") - dimensions, photos, details?

Whoops! I can already see a mistake, in that I have cut out the centre window. T'aint there on the Wynns version.  :banghead:

Back to the drawing board.  :rage:

Mike

15 hours ago, bootneck said:

Thanks Rich, I shall have to proceed "as I see it".   

I have drawn up, what I believe are, the side profiles of the Wynns version of a Pacific M26, and cut them on the cutter.

"Cut them on the cutter"

What sort of cutter, those windows look nicely cut out

I had a set of grandparents in Birmingham and my granddad often took me to the science museum. I remember that loco well.

Edited by Ryedale Wolf

Hello Ryedale,

the original Science museum, in Newhall St, was great.  I watched the loco being delivered to the site back then and visited as often as I could.   The loco was placed on waste ground beside the museum initially, then a new extension was built around it.

The cutter that I have is a 13" Silver Bullet cutting machine; however, any Cricut or Silhouette type should achieve the same type of cutting.  There's no need to waste the blades by cutting all the way through,   I just make about 3 passes and then snap the parts out and clean up with a fine file etc.

I am only just venturing into vehicle building, which means that these pieces are probably not as refined as the experts out there.  I have chosen 1:35 as my scale of choice and here is another idea that I am researching, although I am struggling with finding plans of the chassis shape.

Leyland PS1 Tiger bus

spacer.png

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 month later...

On 01/07/2022 at 14:51, bootneck said:

spacer.png

photo source [c] Terence Doherty

Does anyone know what changes were made inside the cab?  I can see that the wheel arches and mudguards have been lowered, compared to the M26 Dragon Wagon, but was the floor over those wheel arches lowered as well?  I am guessing that a walkway was made, from the rear door to the front seat on both sides; however, I would like to get confirmation on this before I start hacking the kit.

spacer.png

Cheers,
Mike

A chap called Mike Lawrence had one and he lived in Burnham on Sea, he ran a plant hire company in Highbridge. I’m not 100% sure he is still about, or that the truck is still there but may be worth seeing what you can find. He is/was a nice approachable chap and would probably be happy to you to go over for a look if it’s still with him.

• Like 1

Thanks Rich, I'll make enquiries.  I've lived in Burnham for 14 years and not seen or heard anything about one down here; that doesn't mean it has gone though.

cheers,
Mike