Bell 47 aka H-13 dimensions

hsr

Does anyone have data on the dimensions of the Bell 47/H-13. I am specifically looking for the cabin dimensions. The total length height and rotor width are easy to find, but not the cabin dimension. I have the Italeri OH-13S kit that I want to build as a TH-13T. I have seen that the TH-13T cabin was 8" wider then the -13S, but not an absolute number and I have no idea how accurate the Italeri kit is.

Thanks

Howard

G'day Howard,

I can't help with the dimensions but I did the math and your 8" equates to just over 4.24 mm or 11/64" in 1/48.

While that may be noticeable in 1/48, it would only be obvious when a modified OH-13 is placed next to a TH-13, but good luck with pursuing accuracy if that is what you want.

Extending the cabin width should be easy enough but how are you going to address the requirement for a wider canopy 'bubble', a vacform replacement?

Looking forward to seeing the finished article

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pappy said:

I can't help with the dimensions but I did the math and your 8" equates to just over 4.24 mm or 11/64" in 1/48.

At 1/72 scale, which is what I am working in, 8" is about 2.8mm or .11". Noticeable, but not obvious. My experience with Italeri is that they could easily be off by that amount, so my hope is that they might by accident be the right size 🙏. If not, as you point out, widening the canopy is not practical, at least for my level of skill so I will just ignore the issue, sweep it under the rug, and never mention it again. :innocent: But it would still be nice to know how much it is off.

Thanks

Howard 

Good luck Howard,

There are plenty of people with access to aircraft museums, I am sure that someone will oblige with the relevant information. As you say, widening the canopy is the tricky part. I hear what you are saying viz Italeri's accuracy. Several of the helicopter kits have managed to get the tail rotor direction wrong, e.g Wessex so you may just luck out.

I built this kit some time ago, albeit with some additions:

It was a nice kit,

cheers,

Pappy

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pappy said:

I built this kit some time ago, albeit with some additions:

It was a nice kit,

Wow! I am not worthy :worthy:

In The Bell Helicopter Story by Petite and Evans, there is an official Bell dimensioned 3-view drawing showing the width of the cabin bubble of the TH-13T as 64.5 inches. However, a chart lists it as 63 inches. This compares to 55 inches for the OH-13.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

In The Bell Helicopter Story by Petite and Evans, there is an official Bell dimensioned 3-view drawing showing the width of the cabin bubble of the TH-13T as 64.5 inches. However, a chart lists it as 63 inches. This compares to 55 inches for the OH-13.

@Pappy and @Space Ranger, I measured the Italeri cabin. It measures .92" (23.36mm) which comes out to 66.24" or 5' 6 1/4" (1.682 meters).  63" would be .875 (22.22mm) so it is .045" (1.1mm) too big for the TH-13T and way too big for the OH-13S it purports to be. Close enough for me :)

• Like 1