US Army to acquire new light tank

Slater

well its really nothing more then a full size m1at turret, gun, sensor, aiming platform on a reduced height tiger styled chassis. 

Its a more expensive version of the M60 patton upgrade turret kit General Dynamics unvieled this year.

Hi,

I fear that describing the MPF turret as being the same as an M1 turret may be a bit of a misnomer, eventhough many references describe it as such.  In particular, in lookingat the turrets externally, there appear to be many differences, particularlyin shape.  While some of thismay be due to differing external armoring packages, the differences in the front of the turret (where the M1 is noticably assymmetrical, but the MPF turret is not) suggests potential internal differences as well.  And the aft portion of the turret is also noticably different as well.  As such, as noted by some, though not all sources, the MPF turret is likely more "derived from" or "based on" the M1 turret, rather than being the same as, or an alternatiely armored version of the M1 turret.

This new product is in part a long-overdue replacement for the M551 Sheridan and its stillborn M8 AGS successor and in part a replacement for the withdrawn M1128 Stryker MGS (never fully fielded to TOE anyway).  But it is also a recognition that something lighter and more strategically mobile than the Abrams is needed.

And yes, this platform is based on GDLS' Griffin which is in turn a derivative of GDUK's Ajax platform (which is in turn a derivative of GD ELCS' ASCOD).  As is the Elbit Sabrah recently sold to the Phillipines, which is similar to the as-yet-unnamed new US vehicle.  It will be interesting to see if either of these vehicles experience the same noise and vibration problems as Ajax or provide any solutions to those problems. 

US Army will be looking very soon for a Bradley replacement as the Bradley fleet hulls are not capable of any further remanufacture.  GDLS will presumably be pushing an IFV version of the Griffin, doubtless touting useful commonality with the light tank.  Conversion and fielding of more Abrams SEPv3 will shortly cease in favour of SEPv4.

So while Ajax remains mired in problems, largely overblown by the media but no less real for that, Griffin Son Of Ajax appears to be being successful.  Although I'm not sure that I would have named my product after Family Guy............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This vehicle has been tested by US Army personnel, and from those tests came some recommended improvements. Haven't heard that noise and vibration was a concern, though. Maybe GDLS took some lessons from Ajax?

Maybe they have a solution.  I understand that the key vibration issues are the torsion bars where the weight has grown and the track/sprocket interface.  If I read the report correctly, a similar general degree of hearing loss was found in the control group and some of the Ajax group had pre-existing hearing loss.  Being a soldier has traditionally been a very noisy occupation with little or no attenuation.

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition