Roseland Spitfire

Torbjorn

… the original MK304 that is, an LF MkIXe, in which F/Lt Arnold Roseland of No. 442 squadron (RCAF) was killed a month after D day. There is a restored Spitfire painted to look like MK304, which google will send you to even if you don’t want to.

Not having participated in GBs for a while, I rummaged through the attic, hoping for a Canadian Camel, failed and instead came up with exactly one Canadian subject, found on an Xtradecal MkIX decal sheet. The plastic will be provided by Eduard overtrees. I found some other goodies which I may or may not use: a Yahu IP, PE seatbelts, resin exhaust and gunsight.

Roseland’s Spitfire is the top one in the picture below. The profile is based on a photo showing partly overpainted invasion stripes. I’ll portray her like that: how it should’ve looked around the time Roseland perished. 

04JcGFK.jpg

And the kit:

6DtuU3X.jpg

I took pictures of the sprues, but they are not as good as those posted in the other Eduard Spitfire IX thread, so I’m too embarrased to show them. :o

• Like 8

Hi Torbjorn, nice to see you in the GB area again. A Spitfire is always a welcome subject, even I've built one! 🙂 

Good luck with your build!

Just take some new pics then, it's not like you have to run to the 1-hour photo shop to develop them :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the GB Torbjorn. I wouldn't worry about the quality of your sprue shots - I never do - all my sprue shots (and build shots) are taken with my phone, on the bench, and posted with generally no editing so many of them are absolutely horrible quality!

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. This is only my second Spitfire, which I suppose count as nothing in these parts. :)

Well, here’s at least the B-sprue, containing  the internal parts for who knows hoe many Spitfire marks. I wish Eduard could make a list over them (part 41: Mk IXc,IXe, part … etc). 4 different frames (that goes behind the pilot), 3 sets of landing gears, and on other sprues, 3 sets of wing tips, 3 sets of rudders and elevators etc. At least there is only one set of fuselage and wings in each box.

m8xEhIz.jpg

I clobbered together the internals. Decided to use the Yahu instrument panel and the PE seatbelts, even though they’ll be almot invisible once the canopy is on. 

0aH4nqj.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 6

You're off to a good start Torbjorn.

It's pretty unusual for so many alternative parts to be included in a kit these days. I doubt many manufacturers would have bothered with the detail differences between some of those parts in the first place, so well done Eduard! 

32 minutes ago, zebra said:

You're off to a good start Torbjorn.

It's pretty unusual for so many alternative parts to be included in a kit these days. I doubt many manufacturers would have bothered with the detail differences between some of those parts in the first place, so well done Eduard! 

Yep, that should be acknowledged, Eduard kits are in the top regarding value for the money and the Spitfire is one of their better. The problem with giving is that the receivers will keep asking for more (”we can them 100 parts, and now they want a list of them too!” :D).

Anyway, I’ll keep a list of the pieces to use for this machine (an LF MkIX with E-wing) and hope I don’t mix them up.

So for the internals:

frame B41

1DtFsTO.jpg

Another two sessions and we’re almost ready for paint. E type wings,  no choice there, but for the other flying surfaces there were plenty options. If I figured it out correctly:

Ailerons: parts E29,30

Stab/elevators: parts D23,24. This would be the late MkIX style elevators. D19,19 are the early style.

Rudder:H13 - Xtradecal instructions insist on the pointy,  wider rudder, so I went with that even though most other profiles do not agree. I could not find any photo showing the tail.

Gun barrels: A8, the longer ones with linear taper. The other option is the stubby A12. Choice made based on the only photo I’ve seen - the Xtradecal top view shows the wrong wing and is of no help 

Oh, and standard wing tips.

In addition you got the choice of three cowlings. These unfortunately come split longitudinally, so there is some sanding to do along the centreline. I choose parts I1+I2 hoping that to be correct for a Merlin 66 engine. 

I had to add a bit of putty in the stabilisator joint, otherwise it went together flawlessly. I had the same issue with another MkIX I’m building alongside this one. I masked and sprayed some green on the canopy while the glue was drying. Ready for paint:

BzB9RHF.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Well, you're not waiting for anyone are you. That's some nice progress. Cockpit looks good!

These kits are blitz-build material. I spend more time reading and sorting pieces according to Spitfire marks than actually building.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2022 at 11:55 PM, Torbjorn said:

These kits are blitz-build material. I spend more time reading and sorting pieces according to Spitfire marks than actually building.

There’s another reason - I’d like to finish before vacation starts, so I’m hurrying up a bit. Started with primer and the yellow leading edges. I strongly dislike yellow.

tqifNFN.jpg

This is my first attempt at the day fighter scheme, mainly for own future reference (but do feel free to comment/criticise - on anything else also for that matter), using the following:

Vallejo 71050 for the underside

Hataka Dark green 

Hataka Ocean gray

Vallejo 71009 for Sky type S (tail band and spinner)

The Hataka gray was very light, almost as light as the Vallejo, so I added a bit darkness to it. I believe the Hataka colours are a shade lighter for scale effect. Maybe it got too dark now…

GxavULf.jpg

The Hataka green is very glossy, I suspect I my vigorous shaking wasn’t vigorous enough. I think I should have made the demarkation a bit more wobbly, but I’m not redoing it now. The Xtradecal sheet showed rather straight lines, but photos show more wavy lines. 

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 6

Unmasked. Painted with the invasion stripes overpainted on the top surface. The little gray square is for the code letter K. The other side similarly has the K outlined due to overpainted stripes, but that was just a guess which is therefore probably wrong.

There is some disambiguity whether the code is symmetric or not (I mean, whether the starboard side should read Y2-K or K-Y2), there is no photo and profiles disagree.

utRzhhH.jpg

The photo shows that it had wheel covers installed. These are not available in the kit, so I made some from scrap plastic:

cAjcYvK.jpg

T7mCtuW.jpg

• Like 9

Coming along very nicely Torbjorn

On 7/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, Torbjorn said:

I strongly dislike yellow.

Don't think you'll find much disagreement with this! Although the SMS lacquer I've been using has worked quite well.

• 1 month later...

Back at the bench. All stencils (Techmod) and markings (Xtradecal) added. Decided to assume a diligent ground crew repainting the black lines after overpainting the invasion stripes.

In unrelated notes, the orange South African roundels on the same sheet are out of register :swear:

29UlFcN.jpg

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 7