ThunderBirds are GO! Revell 1/48 F-105D backdated to an F-105B Thunderbird circa 1964

52301277596_195e5df49d_c.jpg

52301547399_254b7dd5e4_c.jpg

Finally got all the foil added. It's hard to see, but on the top at least I added the foil by panels where I could see them, alternating the grain of the foil to break up the monotony and make the finish look "more real"

Now that's all dry and cured and set, time to start the part I've been dreading.... The decals.

• Like 3

This will take a while as I've now discovered, the decals are very thin and delicate and will require some setting solution to adhere well to the foil.

So that means carefully putting on decal at a time, and let it settle down and dry before proceeding on.

The hardest will be the nose which has to be applied first then all the other parts on the fuselage are aligned to that.

52300295582_04cc7d3302_c.jpg

52301547394_842903f0c2_c.jpg

52301287033_e5e3597a8a_c.jpg

So one half of the nose, the top of the horizontal stabilizers, and the vertical stabilizer/rudder assembly. Even though I traced the red scallop for the masking, its still a little off, this may be due to the compound curve .I will have to go back when this is done and touch up the front scallop. I don't know which will be easier yet, doing white or the red, but that's after I get all the rest on. Any luck and I'll have another update later today so stay tuned...

• Like 7

These decals are definitely an art to work with. Unfortunately I don't know if it was the age of the decals, the carrier film not thick enough or what, but as I was attaching the first set of decals on the lower portion of the fuselage they started to break apart. I managed to get them sorted out and aligned but then to prevent further damage I gave the remaining decals a like coat of lacquer to keep them solid, or so I thought. As soon as the lacquer hit the paper, they crinkled. :wall: I don't think the lacquer was that "hot". It had never given me an issue in the past. But damaged beyond repair and use. Luckily the set is still available and I was able to re-order a new set from  an online hobby shop. They were even cheaper that the original set I had gotten years ago.

52315779824_8342dfd230_c.jpg

52315669378_39d4156a4f_c.jpg

I also ordered a bottle of MRP Insignia Blue as I knew it would be necessary for fixing any tiny errors.

When they arrived I tested a section of the decal sheet I had already used and gave it a light coat of lacquer. Passed with flying colours. Now I can get this gem finished and looking like downtown.

52315779809_e02a5276ee_c.jpg

I did have to cut a couple of the bigger pieces in half to make it easier to apply, but other than that they went like a charm

I did have to cut and splice some at the front to get the scallops correct, aligned and setting solution was required to snuggle down but even that went like clockwork.

52315669423_0007a930f3_c.jpg

I let these set overnight to dry and in the morning gave the whole shootin' match a couple of very light coats of lacquer. The main reason for this is I have had in the past problems with decals losing their "grip " on foil. So this was a preventative measure. And no, No more crinkling:yahoo:

• Like 6

Now that the hardest and the worst is behind me, Time to finish this puppy up. Adding all the final little bits. I moved to pitot tube from the nose to the Starboard wingtip,

52315669423_0007a930f3_c.jpg

Upper navigation light from a piece of spare clear rod I keep around for such occasions.

52314556352_17fc2e17fb_c.jpg

The turkey feathers and speed brake.

52315799290_fa0245a437_c.jpg

Main and nose gear

52315352736_40e979e077_c.jpg

52315669353_e688c3a5b2_c.jpg

And finally the bang seat and canopy

52315779804_ffa4ec1084_c.jpg

52315799335_13428e1726_c.jpg

• Like 5

After all that we have this....

52314556342_6eb26722ae_c.jpg

52315779729_af419cc2b3_c.jpg

52315352721_790afd2238_c.jpg

52315799310_080674f124_c.jpg

52315669388_8bf1c8dd28_c.jpg

52315799305_95e979d5aa_c.jpg

52314556307_167fbf4dd3_c.jpg

Not quite Gerry Andersen caliber but after everything is said and done, I'm pleased with the final outcome. I'll have the final, Final images up in the -105 Gallery shortly. I don't know if I'll get my last two offerings started and built in time before the end of the GB.

My NF-104, I'm going to have to print decals for that  and the F100 Thunder bird.... well lets just say I now remember why I've been stalling all these years to build all the versions of the Thunderbirds from the F-84 on.. The ornaments are a royal pain to apply. I've done all the Blue Angels And these were supposed to be  their counter point. But we shall see. In any event I would like to thank @Dansk and @Enzo Matrix for putting on this Stupendous GB. I have managed to whittle down a number of kits from the stash that were sitting idly by for way to long. And had a blast the whole way through. So until next time Stay cool, stay safe,, stay healthy and model on!:pilot: 

• Like 9

Well that is a cracking looking Thud Loren.

I am glad that the replacement decals worked as well as they did as the result is fantastic, one of the most striking F-105's I have ever seen.

Thank you so much for having built this in the GB and I hope you find the time for one more of your potential builds.

Very well done mate.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

Thanks Craig. I'm glad you liked my "little" bird:yahoo: I was reviewing the kit I 'm wanting to use for the -104 last night. It's a very old Hawk kit(circa 1959) It's going to take a lot more fabrication than I realized.  There is really no cockpit, wheel wells, or engine. I do have the conversion set so that's a win. So it's not impossible to do, but would take longer than the time left. That's ok though, I managed to complete 4 out of the 6 I did want to do so I'm happier than a movie star with a new  divorce.:D

• Like 1

Loren, that‘s a very clean a shiny Thunderthud! Looking great!

must have been a royal pain to apply those decals. I think I would have airbrushed them. See you in the gallery!

(would love to see a shot of all the Thunderbird jets. And of you Blues as well…)

well done Loren!

Sam

Edited by Sam

Thanks Sam. The decals were a pain at time to apply in more ways than one. I would have liked to have painted the designs on but foil doesn't take too kindly to any type of masking no matter how low tack it is. The foil still wants to peel up. Goes the same with any "high shine" metallics I've used. They just doesn't like sticky stuff of any type on them. and I wanted the shinny polished bare metal look. So that left me with the alternative of the decal sets and a good coat of gloss clear varnish to seal them in at the end.

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Thanks Sam. The decals were a pain at time to apply in more ways than one. I would have liked to have painted the designs on but foil doesn't take too kindly to any type of masking no matter how low tack it is. The foil still wants to peel up. Goes the same with any "high shine" metallics I've used. They just doesn't like sticky stuff of any type on them. and I wanted the shinny polished bare metal look. So that left me with the alternative of the decal sets and a good coat of gloss clear varnish to seal them in at the end.

Got it! It‘s noted for when I dare trying bare foil. The metal shine is fantastic 👍🏽

55 minutes ago, Sam said:

Got it! It‘s noted for when I dare trying bare foil. The metal shine is fantastic 👍🏽

Bare metal foil isn't hard to use, actually it's fairly easy. you just have to keep in mind a few simple rules.

1. Whatever is to be covered make sure it's a clean and and as smooth as possible, i.e. release coatings, skin oil, dust, hairs, scratches (from sanding) etc. removed before applying foil. Foil will highlight EVERYTHING!

2. Foil has a "grain" depending on how you apply it, will give a different pattern when light hits it. this can be augmented with fine steel wool.

3. Burnish down, especially the edges with a cotton bud, or I like to use an artist's stump as flat as posible.

4. Foil doesn't like masking after the fact. Do all painting first. Paint also has difficulty sticking to foil, especially water based acrylics. if they do stick they will probably flake off later, same with decals Those came be kept in check with a coating of clear lacquer

5. Work in small area batches. It's easier to control working with the foil and keeps the foil wrinkling to a minimum if done ones small area at a time.

Here's a link to an article from Finescale Modeller thats in pdf format on their website.

https://finescale.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/6/7/d/foiledlightning1.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a beauty Loren,

I certainly like the look of those Thunderbirds. Lovely scheme. I am amazed how quick you finished it. It will look kinda special in the Gallery.

Ray