DKM O Class Battlecruiser Barbarossa Trumpeter 1:350 Class - release announced

73north

DKM O Class Battlecruiser ' Barbarossa '

Trumpeter | No. 05370 | 1:350

ufaxKcRh.jpg

release announced for August 2022 - new tool plastic injection kit ( name Barbarossa - is from World of Warship game - where she is a Pixel Warship 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems the commercial picture looks better for "what if" Kreigsmarine subjects than for a good number of real ships, especially for the Royal Navy. I'm not saying I'll ignore it - I may look at it eventually if the price is right, but I'd so much prefer to see Nelson, Vanguard, Revenge, Illustrious and so many more classes get 1/350 plastic kit releases. I'd hoped that the sales of the County and C classes would have been high enough to convince Trumpeter to continue that work, with their "scheduled" Nelson and Dido classes, but it seems not to be the case since we've now got this and the Weser instead.

• Like 3

I will be totally honest , I was actually very surprised that this was released first over Nelson / Rodney ( which have no artwork ) and the Dido Class ( for the record - artwork has been done and is all ready for their release ) , as these were never laid down

however , there must be a demand ( thanks to World of Warships ) to release these in 1/350 scale plastic , although I would prefer an 1/350 scale A to I Class Royal Navy WW2 Destroyer, or a  JKN Class !

Edited by 73north
  • Like 2

Yep, another miss for me...

Totally agree with comments above re the Nelson and Dido class. The Nelson class have been in the Trumpeter catalogue around 4 years now, but is yet to materialise, instead we get another what if/never was🤨

Edited by RussellE
  • Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 22:03, 73north said:

ufaxKcRh.jpg

What a lovely Dido class! I waited her so long, I'm so happy! :clap:

No, it is not Dido?

OK, now I see better her beautiful shapes. It's obvious J class or M class destroyer. I made preorder for both, and will do as polish Piorun and Orkan destroyers!

Happy days. isn't it?

Regards,

Michał

• Like 2

Guys - if you're not interested, can you just move along so that those that are can have a chat about it, rather than having to scroll through all the nonsense?  We've talked about this before :fraidnot:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

On 6/30/2022 at 4:27 PM, Mike said:

Guys - if you're not interested, can you just move along so that those that are can have a chat about it, rather than having to scroll through all the nonsense?  We've talked about this before :fraidnot:

spacer.png

So are we just supposed to say oh that's great and move on? Can't people express a negative opinion about something? I thought some manufacturers actually looked at these pages and some even take note of the feedback, good and bad. I personally like the subject, but there are ships I'd sooner see kitted, especially some that really existed!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Richard123 said:

So are we just supposed to say oh that's great and move on?

When I see a topic I’ve got no interest in, I move on. It isn’t difficult.  All I see lately when someone posts a thread about a less popular subject in the maritime section particularly, but other sections too, is moaning that it ‘should have been an xxx and  everyone’s an idiot but me’. It’s the same nonsense every time, drowning out any discussion of an actual model that is being produced, in favour of their own personal wish list that frankly we’ve all heard a thousand times over.  If you think that a model company will be swayed by the same few middle aged men griping and reeling off their wish list each time a new kit they don’t like is announced, I suspect you over-estimate the free time of model company employees to trawl every thread about a different model for good ideas, and consequently you’re in for a sad time of things. 

This determined moaning constitutes sour grapes, and we’ve had a number of thread bemoaning this or that ship is more deserving of a kit, neglecting to consider that it’s just that person’s opinion, which you’ll find are many and varied. There’s an adage about butts that I won’t go into here. We’re also talking about a kit that has been designed, tooled and is probably in production, so whining won’t change a single thing. 

It’s pointless complaining, and using the excuse that model companies listen to us prattling on in forums is risible. They’re in business to make money, and probably have little time for randomly surfing forums, especially if there’s also a language barrier and it’s in an unrelated subject.

allow other people to enjoy a kit that they like, without you hosing it down with jealousy and envy, with a condescending ‘that’s not a real ship’ thrown in for good measure. It’s petulant and childish.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

It's like a naval version of WhIf, and certainly modelllers who play World of Warships, and use the ship in the game, could be interested in building it.

Just to ask, but could this hull be used/modified to model another ship that had not been kitted?

I largely agree with Mike/root admin - my attitude is that it might not be for me but I at least its going to bring a smile to someone's  day.

This might well be a case of Trumpeter testing the potential sales from a different part of the market - after all they  are there to make money, not to deliver our wish lists. At the end of the day, its the bean counters who will decide.

The larger companies may or may not scan the forums - I don't know but at least  some of the small companies certainly do engage. 

To my surprise I received a response to a post that resulted in a new variant of a kit being introduced and having supplied drawings, the promise of other variants to come.   

Encouraged by that, I also directly contacted another company who were proposing a future Luft 46 kit on the forum. I pointed out that the particular design had been superseded by another - after an exchange and supply of drawings, that has resulted in an entirely different model that is in the process of being mastered.  Sadly both companies are in the Ukraine.

These have been my only contacts with producers, I'm pretty chuffed and maybe I  just struck lucky.  

However, just wish listing and decrying what is on offer, is unlikely to achieve anything and does get rather tedious to read.

Paul

17 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Just to ask, but could this hull be used/modified to model another ship that had not been kitted?

Not really. The O/P/Q Schlachtkreuzer line stems from the pre-war Plan Z and were gradually resized (smaller) in order to allow for a faster build time - not that it ever came to that.

The turrets however were supposed to be the same as KMS Bismarck's so there's that at least.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not entirely sure I agree or disagree with the debate here or whether it should be allowed as a debate. I'll not post anything that resembles wishlisting in future though. As I noted in my initial reply, the commercials for the what ifs must be sound as they seem to be more prevalent than many real (I say real above traditional as there aren't kits in the scale already) subjects. I do agree with another post that I'd prefer a new what if kit over a 5th kit of a subject that already exists. I'm not at all adverse to a what if, I have Montana and Seydlitz in my stash and would consider this if I can afford it and have no other alternate models to buy (I'd consider a Kii, Lion or super Yamato class or anything else in the same vein). I'm somewhat obsessed with ships and build in 1/350 so by and large have as much in that scale as I can get my hands on. I guess as a Brit, I can't deny being a little miffed at the gaps in the market for RN ships over other nations, even for the capital ships which are more heavily represented across the board anyway, in as much as the USN, IJN and German navies have most of their WW2 battleship and carrier classes available in plastic, but this is not the case for the RN. Obviously, sales of such ships must lag behind others, or they would have been made first. I personally disagree that it's as valid as a subject from a popular science fiction show though, since these only exist in films and imagination and most the ships we might wish for actually existed and had an impact on our history (I say that as a ship obsessed, sci-fi fan that owns all the fictional subjects listed next to that comment). Also, I'd love to see more consistent releases of quality kits in a standard scale there too (for both Star Trek ships and Star Wars "capital" ships), but that's another story and gets me back to wishlisting, so I'll leave it there 😉

I know I'm not going to influence manufacturers, even if my ego wants it, so I'll move on from future what if posts that excite me less than getting HMS Vanguard etc. My ego might hope my lack of interest will speak louder than contributing to a discussion, but I know that's also not likely to be true. As always these things will come down to economics, and we all have the right and ability to vote with our wallets.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

I guess as a Brit, I can't deny being a little miffed at the gaps in the market for RN ships over other nations, even for the capital ships which are more heavily represented across the board anyway, in as much as the USN, IJN and German navies have most of their WW2 battleship and carrier classes available in plastic, but this is not the case for the RN. Obviously, sales of such ships must lag behind others, or they would have been made first.

More likely it is because there is a substantial commercial licensing fee to access the plans held by the Royal Museums and turn them into commercial ventures.

AFAIK, no such fees (currently) exist for commercial use of the other combatants naval drawings... 🤔

Edited by RussellE
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2022 at 4:59 PM, Richard123 said:

So are we just supposed to say oh that's great and move on? Can't people express a negative opinion about something? I thought some manufacturers actually looked at these pages and some even take note of the feedback, good and bad. I personally like the subject, but there are ships I'd sooner see kitted, especially some that really existed!

Agree, it’s a discussion forum. All opinions are of interest to me, as long as they are constructive.

• 7 months later...

A bit late to this one but anyway.

Its surprising that we don t have a kit for some pretty known Kriegsmarine units like battleship Gneisenau or the Admiral Scheer in this scale.

At first i thought its uninteresting because it never existed but this can be a very attractive and intersting build including a choice of the main armament.

On 3/4/2023 at 5:10 AM, BerndM said:

A bit late to this one but anyway.

Its surprising that we don t have a kit for some pretty known Kriegsmarine units like battleship Gneisenau or the Admiral Scheer in this scale.

At first i thought its uninteresting because it never existed but this can be a very attractive and interesting build including a choice of the main armament.

I agree. This isn't a total fantasy design like some of those Nazi spaceships you can buy in kit form, it was a serious design which formed part of a pre-war naval plan to equip the DKM for commerce warfare. Nobody has really questioned the legitimacy of decision to offer a kit the DKM carrier Graf Zeppelin (also forming part of 'Plan Z', which despite actually nearing completion, was never commissioned into service.  I think it's an interesting exercise to visualise this class in model form. Might even be tempted to buy one!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Killingholme said:

I agree. This isn't a total fantasy design like some of those Nazi spaceships you can buy in kit form, it was a serious design which formed part of a pre-war naval plan to equip the DKM for commerce warfare. Nobody has really questioned the legitimacy of decision to offer a kit the DKM carrier Graf Zeppelin (also forming part of 'Plan Z', which despite actually nearing completion, was never commissioned into service.  I think it's an interesting exercise to visualise this class in model form. Might even be tempted to buy one!

This could be the kit to bring back my interest for maritime modelling.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:11 PM, Welkin said:

I know very little about battleships - I am assuming that this never existed?

Gidday Welkin, sorry about the late reply. The class was planned but no, never built.

I actually enjoy doing 'what-if' models. I try to make them plausible (to my mind anyway) but I don't have to get too bogged down in research for accuracy. I probably won't be buying the kit as it's not my preferred scale but I've long planned to convert a Revell 1/570 scale Scharnhorst kit into a whiffed Gneisenau as of about 1944.

Apologies if this has gone a little OT, the post was originally only intended as a direct answer to Welkin's question.       Regards, Jeff.

I think Trumpeter has covered all the major DKM ships that were built, the largest ones left are probably the K-class cruisers like Königsberg.

So to continue producing models of vessels that sell well, they have to go for the ones that were drawn, but not built.

3 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

So to continue producing models of vessels that sell well, they have to go for the ones that were drawn, but not built.

As opposed to ships that did actually exist?

I have never understood the logic of this (apart from the money aspect, of course!)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LN-KEH said:

I think Trumpeter has covered all the major DKM ships that were built, the largest ones left are probably the K-class cruisers like Königsberg.

Forgetting about all the  light cruisers?

Trumpeter did the battleships, battlecruisers and destroyers, plus two what-if carriers and a what-if battleship.

Leipzig, Konigsberg, Koln, Nurnberg.....