1/72 Royal Australian Navy decals for Skyhawk

James K

Behold!

Modeldecal Aircraft decals - MD050 | Hannants

Well. you would be able to behold if the software didn't stop me posting links.

It's Modeldecal sheet 50 still available from Hannants at £3.99 post free.  Other subjects on the sheet as well.

Agree with @Hookthat you'd be better off starting from an A-4E kit.

• Like 1

That Modeldecal sheet rings a bell.  There is also Modeldecal set 17, also from Hannants at 4.99.  Besides the RAN A-4 there is a camouflaged one from the RNZAF, plus a Danish Draken, an RCAF T-33 and a Mosquito FB.VI postwar in Germany.  The description on the website is incomplete.

IIRC the Model decal sheet  was designed to fit the Hasegawa kit, which has an odd-shaped fin/rudder. It's worth having just the same, as long as you can work around the odd-sized fin decal.

Hi there 

I can part a decal set coming from Esci kit in wonderful 1/72 scale (I got 3 o 4 samples of same kit)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/esci-ertl-9090-a-4g--135707

Maybe you have around another decal set like Indonesian, Malasian Singapur or New Zealand decals to trade

Regards

Armando

hi James,

To add to what's already been contributed, you might be interested in the sheet, "Aussies over The Seas" by CTA Decals, seen as No. 007 on their 1/72 page. The sheet includes much, much more than just a couple of A-4Gs and might really appeal to your FAA tastes!

hope this helps,

Andrew.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RJP said:

That Modeldecal sheet rings a bell.  There is also Modeldecal set 17, also from Hannants at 4.99.  Besides the RAN A-4 there is a camouflaged one from the RNZAF, plus a Danish Draken, an RCAF T-33 and a Mosquito FB.VI postwar in Germany.  The description on the website is incomplete.

I have two copies of that sheet.  A nice one it is indeed.  I did the Draken and the FB. VI from the first one that I had purchased, and I think it was in his shop in Portsmouth.  The second one hasn't been used yet, but it will at least do the same two that I did the first time around!

Later,

Dave

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

IIRC the Model decal sheet  was designed to fit the Hasegawa kit, which has an odd-shaped fin/rudder. It's worth having just the same, as long as you can work around the odd-sized fin decal.

That’s true but my understanding is that the Hasegawa kit suffered from an oversized fin, which Modeldecal adjusted for.  I may be guilty of logical thought here but it OUGHT only to be a matter of cutting the fin chequers down to size.  

Another point is that the Modeldecal transfers were excellent in their day (and the instructions remain exemplary) but they are not up to the best modern standards (bit thick, not so sharply printed).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

That’s true but my understanding is that the Hasegawa kit suffered from an oversized fin, which Modeldecal adjusted for.  I may be guilty of logical thought here but it OUGHT only to be a matter of cutting the fin chequers down to size.  

Happy to take your word for that. I can remember that there was a problem with the fin, and that the sizing of the chequers was adjusted laterally and vertically to take it into account so as to give the right number of them on the model.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Happy to take your word for that. I can remember that there was a problem with the fin, and that the sizing of the chequers was adjusted laterally and vertically to take it into account so as to give the right number of them on the model.

Hmm.  Your logical thought is more logical than mine.  May not be as simple as I thought.  However I’ve just checked the instructions for Sheet 50.  They recommend modifying the Hasegawa fin by taking 2.1mm off at the leading edge root tapering to nothing at the top.  The transfers are designed to fit that modified Hasegawa fin.  Whether it’s now the same as other people’s 1/72 A-4 fins is anyone’s guess.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Behold!

Modeldecal Aircraft decals - MD050 | Hannants

Well. you would be able to behold if the software didn't stop me posting links.

It's Modeldecal sheet 50 still available from Hannants at £3.99 post free.  Other subjects on the sheet as well.

Agree with @Hookthat you'd be better off starting from an A-4E kit.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

10 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello

Agreed, Armando, I am also a fan of Esci kit. And A-4E Israeli hot rod kit also includes Aussie A-4G markings. Cheers

Jure

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/esci-ertl-9008-a-4e--135699

I remember Esci well, they did loads of great stuff that I enjoyed making, but it seems they went out of business some years ago.   

16 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

The Airfix kit is an A-4B. A very different animal to our G's

I thought it was just the humpback?

31 minutes ago, James K said:

I thought it was just the humpback?

The B nose is noticably shorter and rounder than on the G and the intakes are very different - the  Wright J65 equipped versions, like the B, lack the splitter plates associated with the J52-powered ones like the G.

Edit: to give you specific data, length of the B is 39 feet 4 inches, while the F (of which the G is a subvariant) is 41 feet 4 inches.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1