Come Streaming In On Sunlight Wings - The Longest Day - Eduard 1/72 Spitfire Mk.IXc and Mk.IXe

Work has been progressing on these.

Firstly the MK.IXc

x7ScPpK.jpg

t8ttYVQ.jpg

Of course, something had to break and get lost.

The bracing bar disappeared into the ether but has now been replaced with a bit of brass tube.

RqijNTQ.jpg

And the MK.IXe

wxNZMHO.jpg

More later,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 12

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good progress Alistair looking forward to seeing these together.  

Chris 

Thanks Chris,

The Tarpon masking took longer than I expected so these will need to wait till tomorrow for any further progress.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

Very nice, this is looking like a lovely kit. That IXc wing root wasn't overkind to you though.

Thanks very much,

The wingroot must have been down to something I did though when you compare it to the other one.

13 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Steady progress Alistair, so far so goo.

Thanks Mark.

Cheers,

Alistair

I'm enjoying your build, Alistair.  The Eduard Spitfire may be the best 1/72 kit I've ever had the pleasure of building.   😎

One bit of warning: the PE inserts for the radiator faces are too wide for the scoop castings to fit over, so they'll need some work before you permanently attach them.   I used a medium grit nail stick to rub the outside edges down, which worked just fine.  You'd be well advised to take care fitting the two haves of the engine top cover as well; I was clumsy and lost some of that lovely surface detail right in the most visible spot.  I notice there is a Brassin resin replacement bit for that, only six or eight pounds to save you the trouble....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I'm enjoying your build, Alistair.  The Eduard Spitfire may be the best 1/72 kit I've ever had the pleasure of building.   😎

One bit of warning: the PE inserts for the radiator faces are too wide for the scoop castings to fit over, so they'll need some work before you permanently attach them.   I used a medium grit nail stick to rub the outside edges down, which worked just fine.  You'd be well advised to take care fitting the two haves of the engine top cover as well; I was clumsy and lost some of that lovely surface detail right in the most visible spot.  I notice there is a Brassin resin replacement bit for that, only six or eight pounds to save you the trouble....

Thanks very much.

I'll watch for the PE. The top covers are already in place but I do have a plan. 

Cheers,

Alistair

This is really coming along -- getting to the fun part now! :) I'm glad to see this is relatively trouble free.  I've lost more than one bracing bar in my time.  Luckily they're easily replaced!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, opus999 said:

This is really coming along -- getting to the fun part now! :) I'm glad to see this is relatively trouble free.  I've lost more than one bracing bar in my time.  Luckily they're easily replaced!

Thanks very much.

I'll try and get the radiators and canopies done tonight or tomorrow and then it might be time for some paint.

Cheers,

Alistair

Alistair,

Some solid progress - look forward to seeing some paint laid down,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Alistair,

Some solid progress - look forward to seeing some paint laid down,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,

I am too. They need something to push me along at the moment and paint will be just the thing.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Alistair Tommy Cooper Gauld !!! 

"Just like that" 😄😉

Great to see this together Alistair 

Chris

Thanks Chris,

As long as it doesn't finish up in the patented "Cooper" fail then I'll be ok. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case everybody thought I'd forgotten about these two.

The canopies were fitted and then got a coat of ColourCoats Interior Grey Green.

First the Mk.IXc

RV2iEcN.jpg

ZumuUS4.jpg

Not too bad but still some work needed here.

FUOW6Vr.jpg

Mk.IXe

1uGkVq6.jpg

RCr8Zln.jpg

I4Vs5DN.jpg

Again work needed in the same place.

hthzHdD.jpg

A little to do which is a pity as I was hoping for a complete primer coat tonight.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 10

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo good to see some progress Alistair   minor niggles with the seem,  although easily overcome no doubt.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Minor seam work, should see some paint later today.

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Nice - good to see these on the go again!

Thanks Roger,

I got completely wrapped up in the Tarpon but they're on the move now.:D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2