Piper L-4H Grasshopper with floats

While on ponder on paint for the Me 209V1, I thought I'd start this since it's on the top of a recent purchase pile, a Piper L-4H on floats by Mistercraft in 1/72.

Usual bumf...

20220627-184337.jpg

Box art

20220627-184405.jpg

Some plastic

20220627-184512.jpg

Some glazing, decals for 4 airframes and instructions. I have been informed that the scheme of 'choice' is a pretty one; yellow or red/white, she hasn't decided yet.

20220628-160444.jpg

Some plastic to get on with. Two sink marks on the cockpit sides have been dealt with, the smaller parts didn't need much cleaning at all. I have never met a Mistercraft kit before, so I didn't know what to suspect but seeing that it's also Kopro/ KP/ Smer adds to the tension. The raised ribs on the wings and fuselage are a little proud, so they'll need to be knocked back. As far as I can tell the aircraft are pretty sparse, the kit doesn't have any throttles, they must be there somewhere, other stuff too surely?

Stuart

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John_W said:

Some nice interior shots there.

Cheers for that John.

Recently found this lot: https://www.airplanephoto.net/walkarounds/piper/index.htm . Looking through all those pics, I'm wondering where is the console for the guy at the back, possibly overhead in pic no. 52?

Stuart

20220629-093710.jpg

Working on the cockpit. Things like throttles, trim and other knobs were added to the left wall. Decided to make an executive decision to display it with the cockpit open, so out came the door on the right side. Other things that I've noted is that the area behind the passenger/co-pilot seat is closed in. Pics show a fire extinguisher between the pilots feet but I'm not sure that this was period or a modern day requirement(?) Thought there would be seat harnesses of a sorts but were they 4-point or just lap belts? Little things to sort out.

Stuart

• Like 2

This bit was a PITA...

20220701-165745.jpg

Instructions call for you to attach the propeller to the engine before fitting the engine and hen close up :fraidnot:. A drill bit that was the same size as the propeller shaft was used to aid fitting but with little or no glue points a bit of a 'Heath Robinson' arrangement was needed. Plastic bits were used to attach the engine to rear of console and another bit down at the bottom. Why didn't they keep things simple; no engine, closed in fuselage with some holes to fit cylinders heads :shrug:. I did paint and highlight the engine but the drama of fitting the thing has caused a little rework, ho-hum.

20220704-104803.jpg

With the engine, the fuselage halves were joined and joints mad good. Rear seat back support was fitted to size, painted and some 'belts' added. I've seen pics of this rear area of the cockpit being closed-in, so that's what I've done. Just got to clean it up and add panels(?) to the horizontal face.

Stuart

• Like 3

20220705-100808.jpg

Panels added to 'parcel shelf'. Now the awkward bit...

20220705-100919.jpg 20220705-101014.jpg

The cockpit bracing, straight forward you'd think but no, the kit bracing in my view is incorrect and is rather awkward...nightmare.

20220705-103730.jpg 20220705-103822.jpg

Firstly, part 25 is the wing, part 17 is the forward part of the bracing and connects onto it. Part 19 is the middle bracing, wrong shape, too long and also needs to connect to the wing. The rear bracing moves forward, parts 18+20, are now short, angle incorrect and also part 18 should to part 20 TL to BR and not TR to BL (viewed from outside). Pics here will show you what I mean. The thing is, the instructions want you to fit the bracing before the glazing/wing!

The plan is

• Fit side windows first, not forgetting that the door is open.
  • Fit roof glazing to wing.
  • Fit part19 (modified) into wing/roof assy.
  • Make new rear bracing to fit.
  • When happy, fit wing/roof assy.
  • Fit forward bracing part 17 to wing centre section.
  • Fit front window.

The things we do...

Stuart

• Like 4

Hot weather slowing things up but we're moving forward...

20220712-090629.jpg

LS window in place to check for height and to aid measuring  for the internal bracing. The middle section bracing has been shortened and corrected and fitted into the top glazing.

20220712-112753.jpg

Fitted the RS glazing which has had the door section removed. New rear bracing made and fitted.

20220712-160157.jpg

And the wing goes on and all looks good.

Stuart

• Like 4

• Courageous changed the title to Piper L-4H Grasshopper with floats
10 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I love the Cub and your build looks just right

A Cub, a Cub, it's a Grasshopper, thanks anyway Martin :rofl:

20220713-141552.jpg

Forward bracing in and although no photo, front window is also in.

Stuart

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice choice of subjects as ever Stuart. Like @RidgeRunner, I do love a Cub Grasshopper .........

On 6/28/2022 at 4:27 PM, Courageous said:

I have been informed that the scheme of 'choice' is a pretty one; yellow or red/white, she hasn't decided yet.

Clearly a lady with an eye for good schemes!

Can we assume this one will be set in a "water" base, as is your usual practice?

Terry

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Can we assume this one will be set in a "water" base, as is your usual practice?

Glad you like Terry and yes indeed, I'm thinking of it moored to a small jetty or pontoon.

Stuart

• Like 1

Had the afternoon at the bench...

20220714-165610.jpg

Tail feathers on, just some bracing to be added later.

20220714-165717.jpg

Wing braces, exhausts and carburettor intake added.

20220714-165830.jpg

Glazing masked and cockpit filled with foam to prevent ingress :pray:.

20220714-165903.jpg

Float assembly built with the addition of a 'step' added to the right float support and some rudders (not in the kit) for the back end, how are you going to steer the bloomin' thing.

20220714-165940.jpg

And everything together and ready for some primer but...

20220714-171520.jpg

Looking at the schemes, remembering that my options were to do a 'pretty' one; overall yellow :fraidnot: or the red/white :yes:, we hit a problem. These two options were both post WW2 a/c, instructions quote '3a+3' but no 3a red bar decals were in this factory sealed kit :rant:. Post war USAF stars/bars decals ordered...

Stuart

• Like 5

…and I thought Storches were a pain to put together in the canopy department! Nice methodical construction and a great result.

Stars and bars. Can’t you just cut out a bit of red stripe from another decal? ISTR that at least one set of aftermarket decals just gives you the stripes as exactly that option to add to the plain ones. Mind you, if you have already ordered… 

Does the door hinge upwards? It seems like a very big opening.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

and I thought Storches were a pain to put together

It was a bit of a PITA and I'm pretty sure that they could've moulded the the rear glazing as one.

Nice methodical construction and a great result.

Thanks Adrian, much appreciated. Thought I'd show a build as there doesn't seem to be any on BM?

Stars and bars.

I did think about it but a set would cover future eventualities.

Does the door hinge upwards? It seems like a very big opening.

Indeed it does but this pic shows the gaping hole.

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Lovely, mate :)

The 'Cub' is taking shape :wink:.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Courageous said:

The 'Cub' is taking shape :wink:.

;) and nicely too, mate. Whether a Cub or a Grasshopper, I have always liked the basic type. I'm looking forward to seeing her 'floating'!

• Like 2

Phew it's hot!

20220717-194108.jpg

Xtracrylix white overall, Tamiya AS-12 for the float assembly and the propeller was base coated with Vallejo Iraqi Sand before a layer of Burnt Umber oil paint was applied. Got to repaint the engines, not sure why I painted them so early any way.

Stuart

• Like 3

Having now acquired the paint and got weekend out of the way...

20220725-092605.jpg

Revell's Acrylic Carmine red is applied. First time I've airbrushed their acrylics and had trouble spraying it, even with a 50/50 mixture. I think I may need to get some retarder for future jobs.

Stuart

• Like 2

@AdrianMF @Terry1954 @RidgeRunner Cheers guys but we have another hold up, again decals.

20220726-111343.jpg

Using the kit decals as reference for size, I applied the fuselage star/bars. Okay but they looked a little big but left them alone. Next I tried with wing star/bars and it was too big, so I chose the next size down and is the pic above. As can be seen, the 'USAF' should be about half the wing chord, the tail codes were no better. So, for those out there with this kit, be very suspicious about the decal scale. I have now ordered a set of USAF letter/numbers...another build pushed to the side :doh:.

Stuart

• Sad 1