Early Vietnam War ECM Pods (for F-4C Phantoms)

11bravo

Hi Folks -   

I'm building an F-4C circa mid to late 67.     Trying to figure out what I need to use for an ECM pod.   The one picture of my subject aircraft shows a pod hanging under the inner starboard wing pylon, painted white with the upper surfaces green.    I've got the GT Resins "ALQ-71 Short Tail" pod and the pod that comes in the Tamiya kit.

IMG-0795.jpg

CgiKUGm.jpg

I've yet to see a picture of an F-4C/D with the "short-tail" pod.   Would I be better served going with the kit pod?   I tried to read up on early war ECM pods but it's extremely confusing.  Far as I can tell, the first pods (QRC-160) could only be mounted to the outboard wing pylons and were wind-powered by small blades on the nose.   A bit later, the QRC-160 was upgraded to use power from the aircraft and could now be hung on the inner wing pylons, so the ram air turbine in the nose went away.   This pod later morphed into the ALQ-71, which I think was pretty similar to the QRC pod.     

Bottom line - I don't think the short-tail pod is appropriate.   If I go with the kit pod, do I need to make any changes to it?

Any and all info is much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, 11bravo said:

Hi Folks -   

I'm building an F-4C circa mid to late 67.     Trying to figure out what I need to use for an ECM pod.   The one picture of my subject aircraft shows a pod hanging under the inner starboard wing pylon, painted white with the upper surfaces green.    I've got the GT Resins "ALQ-71 Short Tail" pod and the pod that comes in the Tamiya kit.

IMG-0795.jpg

CgiKUGm.jpg

I've yet to see a picture of an F-4C/D with the "short-tail" pod.   Would I be better served going with the kit pod?   I tried to read up on early war ECM pods but it's extremely confusing.  Far as I can tell, the first pods (QRC-160) could only be mounted to the outboard wing pylons and were wind-powered by small blades on the nose.   A bit later, the QRC-160 was upgraded to use power from the aircraft and could now be hung on the inner wing pylons, so the ram air turbine in the nose went away.   This pod later morphed into the ALQ-71, which I think was pretty similar to the QRC pod.     

Bottom line - I don't think the short-tail pod is appropriate.   If I go with the kit pod, do I need to make any changes to it?

Any and all info is much appreciated. 

Don't believe I'm going to be much help. I looked through my inventory of F-4C images from that time frame and do not have any photos I can see clearly the ALQ-71 pod. I did do a search of the pod and saw that there are 3 versions. Eduard Brassin at one time produced the pod. Jump ahead in time 5 years, at Udorn RTAFB flew the ALQ-87 and the ALQ-101. Most of the time they were mounted on the forward aero-27 rack cavities. Other times on the inboard pylons for mig cap.

If there was a short tailed version I didn't see one in the photos. Myself would modify the kit pod or try and find the Eduard Brassin ones.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Have you tried googling Operation Bolo where ECM pods were hung off one of the outer pylons on the Phantoms?
regards Toby

My subject is post-Bolo, see a picture of her below.   My vague understanding is that a later version of the initial QRC-160 was developed that could be mounted on the inner wing pylon, as this one is (note the camouflage paint on the upper surfaces of the pod). 

gf0cV24.jpg

Edited by 11bravo

3 hours ago, 11bravo said:

My subject is post-Bolo, see a picture of her below.   My vague understanding is that a later version of the initial QRC-160 was developed that could be mounted on the inner wing pylon, as this one is (note the camouflage paint on the upper surfaces of the pod). 

gf0cV24.jpg

I don't have that photo in my directory but did find these after I cleared the cobwebs out of my head. In the background is an ALQ-71

full-17362-51934-alq72

and drawing

7212-1219846994-ecm_pods.jpg~original

the last.

cdick002

None have the top side painted to blend in with the aircraft. The above found in my ECM Pod directory. Go figure.

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

• Thanks 1

QRC are, without getting to technical, "early adopter" versions of what will later follow, so a QRC-160A-1 would be the AN/ALQ-71(V)-1.

Some of the QRC programs dont progress so stay as a QRC.

The QRC-160A-1 and AN/ALQ-71(V)-1 were used. There are only minor ariel placement differences. I would use what ever ECM pod you can see on your refrence photos, the -71 and -87 were common at various times.

Im not 100% sure about the graphic above that shows the various ECM pods.

The AN/ALQ-87(V)-1 was 91 inches long [development program QRC-160A8]

AN/ALQ-87(V)-2 was 79 inches long [development program QRC-160A8]

AN/ALQ-87(V)-3 was 102 inches long [development program QRC-513]

AN/ALQ-87(V)-4 was 124 inches long. [development program QRC-513]

Most used two cannisters, each cannister added makes it longer, up to 5 could be used, but 1 to 4 could be used with 2 being most common.

They have a 10 inch suspension lug spacing so could be used on any wing station, parent mounting, and the AIM-7 Sparrow missile wells.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

QRC are, without getting to technical, "early adopter" versions of what will later follow, so a QRC-160A-1 would be the AN/ALQ-71(V)-1.

Some of the QRC programs dont progress so stay as a QRC.

The QRC-160A-1 and AN/ALQ-71(V)-1 were used. There are only minor ariel placement differences. I would use what ever ECM pod you can see on your refrence photos, the -71 and -87 were common at various times.

Im not 100% sure about the graphic above that shows the various ECM pods.

The AN/ALQ-87(V)-1 was 91 inches long [development program QRC-160A8]

AN/ALQ-87(V)-2 was 79 inches long [development program QRC-160A8]

AN/ALQ-87(V)-3 was 102 inches long [development program QRC-513]

AN/ALQ-87(V)-4 was 124 inches long. [development program QRC-513]

Most used two cannisters, each cannister added makes it longer, up to 5 could be used, but 1 to 4 could be used with 2 being most common.

They have a 10 inch suspension lug spacing so could be used on any wing station, parent mounting, and the AIM-7 Sparrow missile wells.

the NATO standard is 14" lug spacing you will find!

Selwyn

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Selwyn said:

the NATO standard is 14" lug spacing you will find!

Selwyn

Sorry yes, I was reading across to the wrong column, 30" lug spacing. The height is 10" ;) 

If that is wrong then its something you should take up with Janes.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
  • Like 1