Liberty to Sunderland Steamer (1/350)

unknown.png

Hull all masked for painting in the hull panels.

I've experimented with scribing in the hull panels and not had much luck, so I've decided to do them by painting in a fairly think paint layer to add some depth before priming.

• Like 4

so I struggled to get thi to show well in a photo.
20220730_000021.jpg

20220730_000044.jpg

from the Bow end you can barely see the vertical panel lines because they are angled , but from the stern angle they are clearly visible.

(also my CA glue marks now seem horrific, but them's the apples)
edit : also this vessel intentionally has alternating inner and outer strakes, which was NOT the way welded panel navy vessels were built but from what I've seen was how panel beaten riveted ship were built in the sunderland yards, I will do PoW differently.

Edited by TomTango
clarification
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since an update on this, life got a little hectic the past few weeks.
WIN_20220822_15_50_25_Pro.jpg

Finally got her pre-shaded, base coating tonight. I replaced the pulley's that came with the kit with rigging eyelets, once the rigging is on I'll cover them with the PE pulleys to hide them.
Still have the hold interior to re-build, then some detailing - then about 40 crew to paint...oh and a deck derrick to make. AND the ship's boats to finish...

Yeah the more I think about it the more there is still to do.

• Like 2

Thankyou, It helps that I can afford to be a bit rough and ready with this one as she's meant to be a workhorse merchantman not exactly Bristol fashion.

Second wash and highlight pass

unknown.png

detailing to do and a filter to bring some of the highlights back down on the superstructure, rust and some more salt streaking to do on the hull.

• Like 5

unknown.png

Rigging the Aft kingpost, this one is in it's stowed position I thought I'd do it first as it's a bit less complicated to do that the foreward one. Some messy knots but I really struggled to tie a few of the off.

Still, I'm pretty happy with the way it's come out.

• Like 4