Mustang IV (Nostalgia alert !)

Kit - Airfix A05138

Paint - Acrylics (internals, checks, stripes, glare panel, etc). AK & SMS lacquers for NMF.

Decals - Model Alliance & kit (stencils).

Extras - None.

NA P-51D Mustang / Mustang IV

Assigned to Flt. Lt. A.S. Doley 

19 Squadron

RAF Acklington, Spring 1945

BB8aUHX.jpg

J8Ur6SR.jpg

ZWUdm8X.jpg

JUcNch3.jpg

JBodvMl.jpg

b1hf5D2.jpg

DQ1mqYM.jpg

GUMbmPq.jpg

Been determined to build 'Dooleybird' for years simply because of 'that' box art from 1974. Had the MA sheet in the stash since the early 2000's and even had a set of resin 'gills' to fit the Hasegawa kit.

BUT WAIT, Airfix announced they'd be doing a 1:48 British Mustang IV in 2019, so I ordered it locally and guess what... the 'finless' D-1 (A05138) turned up - b*gg*r !. Well I always wanted to do 'Frenesi' from the 357th FG anyways so why not, and that's when I discovered that all the parts for the Mustang IV except the Aeroproducts prop are in the box. OK, not an issue, let's just see if that the spare (Aeroproducts) prop in the Hasegawa kit fits ?... (spoiler alert) yes it does, and perfectly.

So here t'is, 'Dooleybird' in 1:48 but not quite as Airfix intended and definitely not as the old Matchbox box-art showed. Kit builds nicely and any flaws in the finish are mine alone - and there are plenty of flaws. This is the third paint job that this build has worn, no idea how I 'effed-up' the previous two, but I did, spectacularly however both times I somehow managed to save the painted-on yellow stripe & checks. Please don't look too closely at the NMF, it's much rougher than I'd normally do, TBH after three tries I was just happy not to have a thumbprint in the paint ! 

As ever please feel free to ask a question, offer a comment or scream abuse, it's all fine. Next will be another Series 5 Airfix build, then on to a couple of Fw 190's. All the best from NZ.

Ian.

• Like 28

Nice job on an old kit.  The box art is very cool.

Wear some nitrile gloves when painting.  Will eliminate the fingerprint issue.  My hands get sweaty but it is worth it not having to repaint sections.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BleedingBlue said:

Nice job on an old kit.  The box art is very cool.

Wear some nitrile gloves when painting.  Will eliminate the fingerprint issue.  My hands get sweaty but it is worth it not having to repaint sections.

Only the box is old; this is the 2019 Airfix 1/4th kit, not the 1974 Matchbox 1/72nd kit.  There’s been much discussion about the colours of the nose stripes since that box art first saw the light of day and present thinking is that Airfix have got it right with yellow.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Only the box is old; this is the 2019 Airfix 1/4th kit, not the 1974 Matchbox 1/72nd kit.  There’s been much discussion about the colours of the nose stripes since that box art first saw the light of day and present thinking is that Airfix have got it right with yellow.

Cheers Steve, 

I thought there may have been some confusion when I posted this yesterday - Yep, you're right it is the 2019 Airfix 1:48 Mustang wearing the 1995 (?) Model Alliance decals, the Matchbox box-art was the inspiration.

Cheers

Ian.

• Thanks 1