Revell 1/144 Flower Class Corvette HMCS Snowberry (05132)

davecov

Thanks for your comments everybody.😀

It seems that I couldn't leave the PE alone for long and last night I continued to fit it to the guns. Here are the Oerlikons and Lewis guns:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_058.JPG

Here are all of the guns ready for painting. BTW, when I posted the B&W picture above showing the 4" gun, I noticed that the hatches on the top of the gun shield open outwards, not rearwards so I have repositioned them:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_059.JPG

This is the bulk of the remaining PE from the Eduard PE Armament Set that still needs to be assembled but I don't need to do that just yet:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_060.JPG

I now have to turn to the Eduard PE Superstructure Set.....

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 9

More lovely PE work there, Dave. I thought 1/72 PE was fiddly enough, so I well and truly doff my hat in your direction for managing all of that in 1/144.

Is that a disposable food tray you're using to organise the bits?

James

• Thanks 1

Thanks James @81-er

The trays are indeed disposable food trays made of reclaimed Bagasse (sugarcane). I bought a pack of 25 trays for £9 two years ago on Amazon and often use them to keep parts safe, especially PE. They are recyclable and compostable but I don't have any plans to throw any away just yet!

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks @Courageous

You should have popped along to the BM Matchbox 50th Anniversary GB earlier this year - I built five ships for it:

Matchbox_Bismarck_700_2022_BM_GB_072.JPG

Matchbox_USS_San_Diego_700_2022_BM_GB_03

I didn't go over the top with PE and rigging and they were brush-painted, a lot different to this Snowberry build.

I also built the Heller 1/400 Jeanne D'Arc for the BM Heller GB in 2020.

spacer.png

So you see, floaty things do appear in GBs every now and then. 😉

Dave

• Like 5

More progress to report.

This kit doesn't come with figures so I purchased 30 figures from Shapeways. There are 15 Petty Officers and 15 Ratings and are all dressed in duffel coats:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_061.JPG

Putting the figures to one side, I continued working through the three PE sets and my trays are now full of parts. Tray 1:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_062.JPG

Tray 2:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_063.JPG

Tray 3:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_064.JPG

Tray 4:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_065.JPG

Now that the PE is sorted, I can get to work. First off, I filled the ejector pin marks on the interior of the bridge and superstructure bulkheads:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_066.JPG

The PE replacement FM12 MF/DF antenna:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_067.JPG

The ejector pin marks on the underside of the bridge decks were filled and I started to assemble other parts:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_068.JPG

Turning to the hull, I sanded off the filler that I had applied earlier in the build:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_069.JPG

On the Quarterdeck, I filled the locating holes for the kit depth charge rails with plastic card. Filler was then applied and sanded back:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_070.JPG

I cut strips from the "wooden" decks to accommodate the PE plates glued next to the depth charge chocks:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_071.JPG

Next step was to fit the decks starting with the Upper Deck. I dry-fitted the deck and ran Tamiya Extra Thin Cement along part of the join and clamped:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_072.JPG

Having worked my way to the stern, there was a gap where the Quarterdeck met the bulwark. I filled them with scrap plastic card:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_073.JPG

Turning to the Foc'sle Deck, I glued that in sections too. Once I have cleaned up the deck joins I can get down to painting:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_074.JPG

That is all for now.

Dave

• Like 12

Thanks for your comments everybody.😀

I have been away from the bench for a while but I do have a little more progress to report.

Having cut down the excess plastic card around the stern area it was time to apply filler:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_075.JPG

When the filler was sanded smooth I applied a coat of white primer around the bulwark and to the hull above the waterline:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_076.JPG

The vertical surfaces were also primed:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_077.JPG

I then masked off the hull and primed that with black primer. That was followed by a top coat of Colourcoats C02 Matt Black:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_078.JPG

Having filled ejector pin marks on some of the kit pieces, they were given a coat of white primer:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_079.JPG

The davits were also done:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_080.JPG

As were a couple of railings:
Revell_Snowberry_144_2022_BM_GB_081.JPG

That is all for now

Dave

• Like 9

• 4 months later...

Good day Dave. I found your wip for the HMCS Snowberry with PE. I am building this same kit only converting it to HMCS Dauphin. I see your last post was Aug 12th.

Have been able to have any other further progress? I found your posts very helpful in my build.

cheers Dennis

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Wow! What an excellent build. 
I went to the hobby shop today since I am on sick leave and carried back this same Flower class corvette. Just put in the order for the Eduard PE parts in Hannant, unfortunately the armament PE is not available. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting kit on the corvette with a hefty number of parts and with the PEs, obviously even more. You got fair wind in your sails and you covered a lot of ground on the build. The guns are looking impressive. On the main gun platform what are those thingies? Fittings for stanchions or a conveyor for shells? 🤔👍

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments, lads, and your interest in this build which I am sad to say I cannot match at the moment. 👍

Unfortunately, after my last post I got Modeller's Block and couldn't face doing any builds at all. The Block lasted for months but I have been back to modelling again this year. Rather than jump back into this build, I have been building a lot of comparatively easier builds but many absences from my modelling bench has meant that I haven't been able to give this build the concentration it needs anyway.

BTW, last month I actually managed to finish a ship with photo etch for the first time which in itself is a record for me. A sure sign that I am over the Block:

spacer.png

I will get back to HMCS Snowberry in due course.

Dave

• Like 3