Revell 1/48 Tomcat D

Walsher

Hi, just looking for some advice on what colour I should use to paint the Revell F14 Tomcat D variant in the Tomcatters with red tail insignia livery please? Will be using Humbrol or Tamiya rattlecans. 

On 6/27/2022 at 5:39 PM, Walsher said:

Hi, just looking for some advice on what colour I should use to paint the Revell F14 Tomcat D variant in the Tomcatters with red tail insignia livery please? Will be using Humbrol or Tamiya rattlecans. 

You don't mention what type of paint you normally use or wether you brush or airbrush ? A profile would help with era but my guess is overall Gull grey or the TPS scheme of Light and dark ghost grey’s. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I assume the instructions  give some color call outs, no? That is usually a good start :)

I guess some shade of not too dark grey would be appropriate in case of doubt!

On 7/5/2022 at 12:28 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You don't mention what type of paint you normally use or wether you brush or airbrush ? A profile would help with era but my guess is overall Gull grey or the TPS scheme of Light and dark ghost grey’s. 

Hi Corsairfoxfouruncle, thanks for the advice, I normally use Tamiya spray paints for as many parts as possible and brush paint only the small parts, will go with overall Gull grey.

• Like 1

Guess you have this one ?

https://www.scalemates.com/it/kits/revell-04528-f-14d-tomcat--129367

If so Revell instructions depict a standard 3-tone TPS paint scheme, with 3 colours: from darker to lighter, 35237, 36320 and 36375 from the US Federal Standard catalogue (FS).

Fortunately for you Tamiya introduced these colours in their spray paints line when they issued their 1/48 Tomcat, so all colours are available:

AS-28 for FS 35237

AS-25 for FS 36320

AS-26 for FS 36375

Mind, I'd have to look at a picture of this aircraft to be sure she actually wore the standard schemes, some aircraft, particularly those of the squadron commander, had modified schemes. Other CAG aircraft of the same VF-31 were in the standard scheme but thiese specific markings were used for quite a short time and there aren't many pictures around

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...