F-84F weaponry

RidgeRunner

Apologies if I asked this before. If I did I can’t find the thread :(.

My question is about the bombs carried on Italian F-84Fs and the HVAR fit. I have a few photos of the latter but could do with more details. Maybe a drawing? I am also seeking confirmation that my chosen weapon configuration was genuine. I am planning 450gal tanks on the inner pylons, bombs (size yet to be determined) on the outer pylons and HVARs under the wing tips. I have the tanks and I think ?I can adapt the HVARs from a Thunderjet. 

I’d welcome any thoughts on the above from the mighty collective :). Thanks.

Martin

• Like 1

I can offer my study of the stores of RNLAF F-84Fs

f84f-128.jpg

The HVARs have interlocking fins, and another support halfway the rocket body. That reminds me that I still have to add a strap there 🙂 The fins of the top HVAR (bottom in photo) hooks into brackets that are flip out of the wing surface. My old Monogram model had them as raised detail.

f84f-074.jpg

Bomb choice may depend on the user. RNLAF only used the old M65, on the outboard pylon.

Rob

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

I can offer my study of the stores of RNLAF F-84Fs

The HVARs have interlocking fins, and another support halfway the rocket body. That reminds me that I still have to add a strap there 🙂 The fins of the top HVAR (bottom in photo) hooks into brackets that are flip out of the wing surface. My old Monogram model had them as raised detail.

Bomb choice may depend on the user. RNLAF only used the old M65, on the outboard pylon.

Rob

Thanks Rob. It looks like I need AN M65s with the conical tail. I can only find them at HPH. Do you know of any other suppliers in 1/72?

Martin

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Thanks Rob. It looks like I need AN M65s with the conical tail. I can only find them at HPH. Do you know of any other suppliers in 1/72?

Martin

Is 'HPH' short for High Planes Models HPA072072 ? My notes say that the Airfix F-84F and the A-1J have bombs that somewhat resemble the M65. The ones in the A-1 kit have box tails, but I don't have the F-84F kit to check the contents.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie

20 hours ago, vangos said:

These photos shows HAF F-84Fs armed with two Mk117/Mk82 bombs and HVARs rockets in public display.

73041.jpg

73040.jpg

Thanks mate. Yes, I have those. I am particularly asking about Italian F-84Fs. There were the same era as the Dutch that Rob has mentioned. The colour photo particularly shows a machine late in its career at Larissa. I now know they should be AN-M56s :). The HVARs, of course, we’re the same :).

Martin

1 hour ago, Rob de Bie said:

There's always the option to scratch-build the conical tail. I did the same for my 1/48 AN-M66.

f84f-047.jpg

f84f-057.jpg

Full build report here: https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/f84f-bombs.htm

Rob

Very nice, Rob. I checked my photo references for these machines and it shows them to be AN-M64 500lb bombs with the conical high speed tail. 

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Rob. I checked my photo references for these machines and it shows them to be AN-M64 500lb bombs with the conical high speed tail. 

Just curious: how did you distinguish the M65 from the M64 or vice versa? I remember having great trouble distinguishing the M66 from the M65, unless they were next to each other. I often had to resort to rough photo measurements to establish what it was.

an-m66usn.jpg

I'm also interested because in my RNLAF F-84F stores study, I deduced from those typical 'aircraft with all its weapons' photos that the RNLAF only used the M65 and M66 - I never found a document saying that. So the M64 could theoretically be a RNLAF F-84F bomb too.

RNLAF

Edited by Rob de Bie

23 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

My reference is the "Italian Aviation Series: F-84F Thunderstreak - RF-84F Thunderflash" Aviation Collectables Company. Page 21

Interesting! Is the M64 reference text or a photo caption?

I've interviewed some RNLAF Streak pilots, but they generally don't have a detailed knowledge of the weapons at all. So it's no use asking them whether they remember the M64 / 65 / 66. Finding armourers from that time is far more difficult, and my attempts so far all failed.

Rob

7 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

Interesting! Is the M64 reference text or a photo caption?

I've interviewed some RNLAF Streak pilots, but they generally don't have a detailed knowledge of the weapons at all. So it's no use asking them whether they remember the M64 / 65 / 66. Finding armourers from that time is far more difficult, and my attempts so far all failed.

Rob

It is photo captioning, Rob

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It is photo captioning, Rob

Oh! If you happen to scan or photograph one day, could you include this one? I would love to try some kind of photo analysis to see whether it's actually an M64. But you probably saw that response coming 🙂

Rob

• 1 year later...

Thanks Notet also that different air arms used different weaponry. For example, Italy generally used HVARs as singles while also employing WW2-type bombs from old stock. Remember that the finances of some nations in the 1950s/60s were not good. Those shown above on the Greek machine at a families day at Larissa was for show. The F-84Fs in Greek service by the that photo was taken were recency supplement airframes to keep RF-84F pilots current.   

1000lb bomb

F-84F HVAR001

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 2:50 PM, RidgeRunner said:

while also employing WW2-type bombs from old stock.

I recall we Dutch used those too, albeit with the box style tail assembly replaced with (at the time) more modern fins. 

See here.

Cheers,

Andre