Messerschmitt Bf109K-4 '265' (again)

Hi all - this is Academy's 1/48 Bf109K-4 kit, finished in the colours of '265' - a machine discovered at Amberg at the end of the war and carrying no unit markings - just the last three digits of the werk nummer roughly sprayed onto the fuselage sides.  Several b/w pics of this plane (unusually of both sides) are in circulation, so the markings and camo pattern are easy enough to identify.  The actual colours, not so much.

FpE05Xv.jpg

I did build this a/c a couple of years ago from a Hasegawa kit, but it got trodden on recently during some redecoration work at home (the less said about that, the better).  So a couple of years on and this is a chance to 're-imagine' some Luftwaffe late-war camo colours, and un-painted (but not necessarily 'bare metal') undersides and put a replacement '265' back on the shelf.  Anyway, enough chat, here's the pics.. :) 

eDuZF3x.jpg

h4KtRip.jpg

e2m7A36.jpg

iwHFldh.jpg

xan6NEq.jpg

O8jeYBl.jpg

VIiamSX.jpg

myZYJYC.jpg

cXOEYLn.jpg

hsNTgg3.jpg

• Like 18

Very tidy build. Like the camo - interesting scheme.

Looks a bit lightly armed so far as I can see; only two MG in the cowling?

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, echen said:

Very tidy build. Like the camo - interesting scheme.

Looks a bit lightly armed so far as I can see; only two MG in the cowling?

Re the armament - yes, two MGs over the engine, plus a 30mm firing through the spinner.  There were other field kits available which included underwing 20mm pods as well..

Just now, Werdna said:

plus a 30mm firing through the spinner

I forgot they used to do that. A 30mm used to prove quite a good argument - even against a B17.

14 hours ago, BerndM said:

Nice work. The paint job looks great !👍

The main aim was to arrive at colour choices that matched well with the original pics in B&W - and superficially these seem to.  They also correlate with the 'brown and green' 109s mentioned in combat reports by RAF pilots in the final months of the war.   

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Werdna said:

Re the armament - yes, two MGs over the engine, plus a 30mm firing through the spinner.  There were other field kits available which included underwing 20mm pods as well..

Not many guns but a single hit from that 30mm is devastating.  Also, really interesting camo scheme.  I think my favorite thing about the Luftwaffe aircraft was all the different camo patterns used.

Edited by BleedingBlue