These are finished at last. Real life kept getting in the way. As usual! See the WIP for the full build.

I got a pair of part started 1/48th Hobbycraft Vampires from the Bay for a decent price. Bits were missing. What to do?

Why not turn them into 1/32nd scale orbital fighters in the Star Wars universe? I just made it up as I went along.

KdHWHk2.jpg

Both were two seaters. The oneon the right had a broken canopy. I took a page from early Meteors and built it as a Mk 1,

with a metal rear to the 'greenhouse'.

QCnIQOY.jpg

The paints are Citadel (Warhammer) as I wanted 'Alien' shades rather than bog standard Tamiya. 

Here the laser pod is underneath. 

hG5jv3A.jpg

Engines are printed and were very kindly donated by @TheBaron I've added a bit of detail and paint.

The Vixen name comes from the source of the engines, they were for his wonderful 1/72nd printed Sea Vixen.

IiLHgyQ.jpg

Not meant for atmospheric flight you just need an engine & thrusters. Not tail booms.

The yellow stripes? Alien flames, for that death or glory look!

hHbeUqG.jpg

RH wingtip pod. Half an old missile with added bits. Yes, And a Harrier outrigger. 

In the Star Wars universe ships can hover indefinitely. But I've fitted a fixed central skid & the outriggers in case of 'wobbles'.

Launched from an orbiting space station the skid could be jettisoned and the ship could 'skip' on top of the atmosphere.

J2EPsdK.jpg

Di5SYxV.jpg

The Mk 2. Full length canopy. Slightly different markings. I just used odds & sods from decal boxes.

7pEkpil.jpg

The 'flames are intentionally rough, BTW. The green is Citadel Goblin green. The Vampire had a Goblin engine! Just sayin'.

qTSiMq2.jpg

The Pilot is ex Phantom. Now from an unnamed race of humanoids, threatened by the evil Empire.

3r85iaJ.jpg

The gear is just a push fit, so here's a close up. The skid was two halves from a wingfold, I think.

tu5CqYB.jpg

My Citadel paint stock. Bought used from a car boot 4 or 5 years ago, they are still good to go, and odd shades.

Another fun scratchbuild and I'm happy with the end results. They're certainly unique!

Thanks for looking. Your comments are always welcome. 

Next? one word. Vanship!

• Like 19

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...