"The Ghost of Kyiv" MiG-29

I guess we will see a lot of these being posted soon, as I understand the kits are flying off the shelves.

wpc59d1936_05_06.jpg

This is the ICM "Ghost of Kyiv" kit, produced by Kyiv based ICM under wartime conditions (and ICM are donating 50% of profits to the Ukrainian Armed Forces).

wpd304af3b_05_06.jpg

As a build it has all the familiar hallmarks of ICM - lovely detail, but a little fragile and fiddly to assemble.  The decals are very good though.

wpeb134890_05_06.jpg

wp8ee63e44_05_06.jpg

wp5201b162_05_06.jpg

With an Italeri Polish MiG-29 Fulcrum A:

wpc19db462_05_06.jpg

Edited by gengriz
David Gilmour quote removed to avoid broaching any "no political posts" rules
  • Like 47
  • Sad 1

The decals were very good.  Thin and stretchy, good colour density and split into logical medium sized sections that made application relatively easy.  The placement diagram is good too.

I used a Klear undercoat, then flooded with diluted Klear to bed them in, which allowed a little movement/adjustment after they were put in place.  They bedded down over the surface details very well but in some places I suspect they shrank and moved slightly from the positions that I had place them in .

One hint on the kit - don't forget the top of the nose-wheel bay - it's not mentioned on the instructions and needs to be fitted before the two fuselage halves are joined.  I missed mine, but at least it then allowed me to add some nose weight after the build ('cos I forgot that too). 

In terms of the weapon load, the pictures I have found suggest that the smallest of the missiles provided, the Vympel R-60 (AA-8 Aphid) is not being used by the Ukrainians and that a typical CAP carries 2 of the large R-27 (AA-10 Alamo) and 4 of the mid-sized R-73 (AA-11 Archer).  You could add a ground attack load (dumb bombs of rockets) instead, but it's not really the MiG-29's forte and that is where they have had the worst losses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1