the best tamiya AFV or military vehicle kit.

sardaukar

I am putting this in ww2 but it could cover any era, also I'm not confining this request to just 1/35 as tamiya have quite a few 1/48 kits.

what is considered the best, that is the most accurate out of the box tamiya AFV kit? or any military vehicle.

cheers

Calum

Hi, Calum. 

I know this is a cop-out answer, but any new-moulding Tamiya AFV from the last ten years or so should be pretty-darned accurate. Maybe wouldn't satisfy the "that-rivet-is-one-hundred-thousands-of-a-millimetre-out-from-where-it-should-be" brigade, but most Tamiya stuff is great for folks who regard model-making as a fun hobby. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hi, Calum. 

I know this is a cop-out answer, but any new-moulding Tamiya AFV from the last ten years or so should be pretty-darned accurate. Maybe wouldn't satisfy the "that-rivet-is-one-hundred-thousands-of-a-millimetre-out-from-where-it-should-be" brigade, but most Tamiya stuff is great for folks who regard model-making as a fun hobby. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

No, this is a great comment as it does give me a choice as I'm normally a 1/72 guy I don't have a clue about tamiya other than they are popular.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

You'd have to go along way to beat their Easy 8 kits in both 1/35th and 1/48th.

John.

Yes, a real pleasure to build. Even the rubber band tracks were good if I remember right. The Matilda is a great kit too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The new M18 Hellcat in 1/35 will take some beating too. 

My personal favourites from their recent 1/35 output are the Panther Ausf D, PzKpfw IVF1, Valentine, Archer SPG and M10/Achilles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IanC said:

The new M18 Hellcat in 1/35 will take some beating too. 

My personal favourites from their recent 1/35 output are the Panther Ausf D, PzKpfw IVF1, Valentine, Archer SPG and M10/Achilles.

I don't do 1/35 (except for the occasional rush of blood to the head) but several of those have brought me close to succumbing.  And the new Nashorn/Hornisse.

Steven Zaloga has recently done a nice build of the Hellcat on his Facebook page.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

The Cromwell was also good. Others will be able to tell you about accuracy but the build was very nice.

The Cromwell is very good, with just the one little caveat. The engine deck is too early for the decal markings in the kit. But it's very easily corrected. Apart from that, It's easily as good as the much newer Airfix kit, (and the wheels are correct).

John.

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I don't do 1/35 (except for the occasional rush of blood to the head) but several of those have brought me close to succumbing.  And the new Nashorn/Hornisse.

Yes, the Hummel and Hornisse are crackers too. And with all of these Tamiya provide really high quality figures, which for me is a big attraction.

• Thanks 1

Why do you need to know,are you looking for suggestions as to what to build,or is this like a survey? Well,

I enjoyed their JS-2,Isherman,ISU-152, Jagdtiger,M-40,and Pershing lately.

Accurate? I'm not sure,they look the part,I'm not a rivet counter, and I don't use that term in a negative sense,for me if it looks like a Tiger I'm happy.

Edited by Tojo72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the suggestions, it was for some inspiration really, I also wanted to avoid any 'dogs', not sure tamiya has many, or any recent 'dogs'.

After spending a good 30 mins staring at kits in a tamiya shop in Asia. I bought a 1/48 t-34/85 kit. they didn't have any Hellcats yet or they were all gone already.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stef N. said:

The Cromwell was also good. Others will be able to tell you about accuracy but the build was very nice.

I have the Cromwell in 1/48 and 1/35, not built either yet.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

I have the Cromwell in 1/48 and 1/35, not built either yet.

It was one of the first kits I did after restarting the hobby. Enjoyable and no stress build. Maybe why I am still making models. 😀

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

It was one of the first kits I did after restarting the hobby. Enjoyable and no stress build. Maybe why I am still making models. 😀

Cromwell was my first 'favourite' tank after returning to the hobby, I think I bought at least one kit in every scale, one day I'll get them finished and have them lined up like Russian dolls 😀

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

I've built a couple of the Tamiya 1/48 T-34s. I did modify both kits to represent post-war examples (one is Croatian and the other is Cypriot) but even straight out of the box, it will build very nicely.

271740782_3070084119897919_2586748236419

166802481_2852135135026153_4319915752496

A T-34 with a browning 50cal on it, that is my kinda tank 😀

17 hours ago, sardaukar said:

A T-34 with a browning 50cal on it, that is my kinda tank 😀

The M2 was a standard issue item in the Yugoslav National Army (JNA) as they had received significant arms shipments from the USA in the 1950s and 60s (inc M18 Hellcats. M47 Pattons, M36 tank destroyers and well as small arms). Not sure where the Cypriot National Guard got their M2s from, but the T-34/85s they used commonly carried them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’d say go with any of the superb newly moulded 1/48 kits and then move up to the same scale for any future aircraft builds to go constant scale (if you do them). There are loads of detailing etch sets around, eg Hauler, that make them look just as good as their bigger brethren. Check out @PlaStix kits for superb examples of what can be achieved - as a bonus, they take up a lot less room.

Nick

• Like 2