Finished: Airfix 1/72 Sherman Firefly Mk VC

RC Boater Bill

I’m in with this one- the new Airfix kit.  Will be doing in the markings of the Canadian 2nd Armored Brigade.   The kit doesn’t have markings for this, but I found a sheet at Black Lion Decals:   https://www.blacklionshop.nl/en/

spacer.png

-Bill

Edited by RC Boater Bill
I finished it!!!
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of Airfix’s new kits, molded in the same slightly after plastic the other releases are.    In-box impressions of the kit:

- Moldings are good, no flash, minimal mold lines that are easy to remove.

- Typical excellent instructions.

- The kit is aimed at beginners- no PE, few tiny parts.  Compared to a 1/72 Dragon Sherman build, this has fewer parts and is nowhere near as fiddly.

- The kit includes two sets of running gear- one is built up from parts as you would expect, while there is also a nicely molded one piece option. (To simplify the build for younger modelers, or to speed up the build for wargamers.)

I forgot to take a photo of all the sprues before I started removing parts to test fit, but here’s a pic of the one with the turret details and optional extras:

spacer.png

• Like 3

Here is a pic of the one piece track and running gear, after I spent a few minutes to clean up the mold lines.  

spacer.png

It looks pretty good IMO, though there is one problem with it- it is the wrong kind of track.  Instead of the steel chevron style track, the one piece part has the rubber block style tracks.  ( Which aren’t appropriate for a Firefly V.) 

But beginners are unlikely to care….

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

It looks pretty good IMO, though there is one problem with it- it is the wrong kind of track.  Instead of the steel chevron style track, the one piece part has the rubber block style tracks.  ( Which aren’t appropriate for a Firefly V.) 

But beginners are unlikely to care

Are those plastic or vinyl ? If plastic you could use round plastic or fine wire to make the cleats. You would only need do the ones visible. Front and back the bottom would need them and the top hidden by the sponsons wouldn't either.  

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Are those plastic or vinyl ? If plastic you could use round plastic or fine wire to make the cleats. You would only need do the ones visible. Front and back the bottom would need them and the top hidden by the sponsons wouldn't either.  

They are plastic.   You could fix them, I suppose, but there’s no point - it would be easier to just use the “regular” parts, and assemble the running gear using the other (typical) separate pieces- they are molded with the correct type of track.   

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough in  my earlier description- the kit has two options for the tracks/running gear.   Option 1 is the typical multi-part approach, where you assemble six suspension units, attach them to the hull, then attach the various lengths of track to complete the loop.  Option 2 is the one-piece solution.   Only the one piece unit is molded with the different ( wrong) blocks…

• Thanks 1

Here’s a photo showing the two types of tracks:

spacer.png

And here’s a comparison of the assembled parts and the one piece-  you can hardly see a difference!  Airfix did a fine job molding these!

spacer.png

• Like 6

Progress to date:   The lower hull is assembled.   Fit was good everywhere, so far!

I like my small tanks to have a bit of weight to them - something leftover from my miniatures wargaming past.  ( A tank should flatten the lichen bushes, not float on top of them!).  I do this by pouring a bunch of lead shot or fishing weights in the hull, then secure it with a good amount of white PVA glue.

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As a simpler kit, it doesn’t include a lot of tiny details and fiddly parts.   In general, I’m fine with that - but there is one item whose absence is noticeable:  the front headlight guards.  

I to decided add those.  Rather than fuss with aftermarket PE, I just made some from fine brass rod.   They are easy to do, and should look the part once painted….

spacer.png

EDIT-  I forgot to mention that when I test fit the upper hull to the lower, there was a small gap where the glacis met the transmission cover. Rather than mess with filler later, I found a piece of .015 in thick styrene made for a perfect fit- that’s why there is a little white strip at the bottom of the armor.

Edited by RC Boater Bill
Added info
  • Like 8

Basic assembly complete!   

Now I have to decide how much of the extra kits (track, ammo cans, roadwheels, etc.) I will add before priming and painting…..

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve made some progress over the last 10 days or so:

- Added the last couple of parts to the model. (Including the shell casing ejection port on the left side of the turret- almost forgot to attach it!)

- Washed the entire model to get rid of any oily fingerprints, etc., the let it air dry.

- Primed the entire model with Stynlrez black primer.

spacer.png

I’m going to use Brett Green’s  technique for painting small scale armor, as described here:

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/paintingsmallscalearmorbg_1.htm

Edited by RC Boater Bill
Fixed typos, added new ones
  • Like 3

Painted it today!   Airbrushed some Vallejo Olive green.

I shot a little bit into the open area between the running gear, then painted the overall model shooting down from an angle, as per the article I referenced.  I then added a couple of drops of a sandy color, and some more thinner to apply a thin coat of a lightened green on the horizontal surfaces. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Decals are on, flat coated, and the model is ready for weathering…

Markings are for a tank from the Fort Garry Horse, Canadian Second Armored Brigade, in France, 1944.  They aren’t one of the kit options- I found inspiration in a 1/35 scale sheet for Canadian Shermans.   The little Canadian maple leaf marking comes from a 1/72 Black Lion sheet.   The rest of the markings came from the scrap bag…

spacer.png

Ready for weathering:

spacer.png

Edited by RC Boater Bill
  • Like 8

Trying something new (to me)-  Flory Washes.

I ordered a trio of them- dark dirt, sand, and light dust.  

I think I’ll try all three, from dark too light.

First step was to apply an overall wash with the dark stuff.   Here is what it looks like after I liberally brushed it over the model:

spacer.png

I’ll let it dry overnight, then use some damp cotton buds to remove some from the upper hull, and see how things look……

• Like 6

Almost there….

I’ve done the black wash, then a light flat coat, then the brown wash, then another light flat coat.

I’ll let this dry for a day or so, then apply a little of the light dust- then a final flat coat, and head over to the “Finished”   thread!

spacer.png

• Like 7

• RC Boater Bill changed the title to Finished: Airfix 1/72 Sherman Firefly Mk VC