Revell BMW M1 Procar Custom Livery

Background:

I like the look of the BMW M1 Procar but I could not find a single real-life livery I wished to model so I decided to make one up with the help of some custom-printed decals and a bit of inspiration from the Williams FW08 from the late 1970s - the right time period at least. I thought the car could use with a little more modernisation too, brakes and wheels.

Pros:

There's an engine. The decals are nicely printed. Little else.

Cons:

A lot of work is needed to make this kit fit together properly - so many parts have no mounting points and need improvisation. Scruffy looking mouldings that seem like they were not even that great back when this kit was first released by ESCI in 1979. No side windows. Instructions are not clear in parts, not well illustrated and include at least one part shown mounted 180 degrees from what would be correct.

Verdict:

Mostly garbage. Despite both Revell and Italeri re-releasing this kit even in 2015-2020, the moulding need to be retired permanently. I'm an experienced modeller and I found it a slog to build at times. It'd put a relative newcomer off entirely. It is a scruffy, untidy model kit.

Build notes:

Built over the space of about 6 weeks in May-June 2022. Custom decals created by myself in Adobe Illustrator, and printed by Indycals - following the colour scheme (somewhat) of the Williams FW08 and some other decals I thought fitted with it. The front brakes are Tamiya, as are the replaced wheels and tyres. There's wiring added to the engine and seatbelts added in the interior, plus P/E bonnet pins and an electrical shut-off lever near the windscreen. It is a damn cool looking car in this livery and with these wheels, even though I say it myself. Aside from the problems building it, it's turned out exactly as I'd imagined.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 21

Looks a great model of a fine car, notwithstanding the terrible kit!

I'm on my second ex-Esci kit and I doubt I'll give them the opportunity for 3rd time lucky!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...