1/72 Kovozávody Prostějov Spitfire PR Mk.XI "USAF"

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

this is the new 1/72 Spitfire PR Mk.XI kit, presented at Moson Model Show in Hungary, at the end of April.

Built from the box, painted with Mr.Hobby acrylics.

Photos by Wolfgang Rabel.

a-DSC4732.jpg

This kit is an all-new tooling and comes in various boxings with different marking options.

I chose the "USAF" version because I didn't have a Spitfire with "stars and bars"!

Markings are from the box, representing an aircraft from 14th Photographic Squadron, 7th Photographic Group, at Mount Farm airbase in 1944.

a-DSC4733.jpg

a-DSC4735.jpg

a-DSC4736.jpg

a-DSC4738.jpg

a-DSC4743.jpg

a-DSC4740.jpg

Some PR Spitfires were painted in "PRU Blue".

To represent this color shade I used Mr.Hobby H42 Grey Blue (which I found to be the best match).

Exhaust stains were applied with my airbrush.

a-DSC4734.jpg

a-DSC4742.jpg

a-DSC4756.jpg

The quality of surfaces and fit of parts is very good, the build was smooth and free of trouble.

The only thing I wasn't happy with are the stencils, which come on a seperate sheet.

The walkways are a bit heavy, inscriptions are oversized and fuzzy, so I replaced them with markings from an Eduard stencil sheet (designed for the Mk.IX).

a-DSC4744.jpg

a-DSC4748.jpg

a-DSC4750.jpg

a-DSC4753.jpg

a-DSC4754.jpg

a-DSC4758.jpg

a-DSC4755.jpg

a-DSC4763.jpg

The camera lenses are represented as shallow depressions on the lower fuselage.

I painted the lenses gloss black to simulate glass.

a-DSC4765.jpg

a-DSC4766.jpg

a-DSC4767.jpg

Thanks you very much for your interest,

best greetings from Vienna!

Roman

• Like 45

Thats a pristine looking Spitfire, very nice:like:. Might I suggest a way of doing lens covers to make them flush with the aircraft skin. I make the depression slightly deeper, paint as you have done and then add crystal clear to fill the depression. It also gives a bit more of a 3D depth to the appearance. I find it works well with smaller holes but not so well with large ones.

Pete

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Might I suggest a way of doing lens covers to make them flush with the aircraft skin. I make the depression slightly deeper, paint as you have done and then add crystal clear to fill the depression. It also gives a bit more of a 3D depth to the appearance. I find it works well with smaller holes but not so well with large ones.

Thanks for advice Pete - sounds like a good idea, will try out next time!

• Like 2

Hi Roman

This is another very nice build and yes there are many way to make the lens glasses.

I am used to make them with larger transparent parts flush to the fuselage and covered with round masks. The other side is black. This is the same way as I made the flush windows of my Northrop Deltas.

Cheers.

Patrick

I really love that Roman

Achieving a realistic and intersting build in one colour is not simple and yours is just superb

Awesome!

Thanks for posting 😎

On 26/06/2022 at 09:18, Roman Schilhart said:

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

this is the new 1/72 Spitfire PR Mk.XI kit, presented at Moson Model Show in Hungary, at the end of April.

Built from the box, painted with Mr.Hobby acrylics.

Photos by Wolfgang Rabel.

a-DSC4732.jpg

This kit is an all-new tooling and comes in various boxings with different marking options.

I chose the "USAF" version because I didn't have a Spitfire with "stars and bars"!

Markings are from the box, representing an aircraft from 14th Photographic Squadron, 7th Photographic Group, at Mount Farm airbase in 1944.

a-DSC4733.jpg

a-DSC4735.jpg

a-DSC4736.jpg

a-DSC4738.jpg

a-DSC4743.jpg

a-DSC4740.jpg

Some PR Spitfires were painted in "PRU Blue".

To represent this color shade I used Mr.Hobby H42 Grey Blue (which I found to be the best match).

Exhaust stains were applied with my airbrush.

a-DSC4734.jpg

a-DSC4742.jpg

a-DSC4756.jpg

The quality of surfaces and fit of parts is very good, the build was smooth and free of trouble.

The only thing I wasn't happy with are the stencils, which come on a seperate sheet.

The walkways are a bit heavy, inscriptions are oversized and fuzzy, so I replaced them with markings from an Eduard stencil sheet (designed for the Mk.IX).

a-DSC4744.jpg

a-DSC4748.jpg

a-DSC4750.jpg

a-DSC4753.jpg

a-DSC4754.jpg

a-DSC4758.jpg

a-DSC4755.jpg

a-DSC4763.jpg

The camera lenses are represented as shallow depressions on the lower fuselage.

I painted the lenses gloss black to simulate glass.

a-DSC4765.jpg

a-DSC4766.jpg

a-DSC4767.jpg

Thanks you very much for your interest,

best greetings from Vienna!

Roman

Well done.

Alain

On 26/06/2022 at 10:27, Pete in a shed said:

Might I suggest a way of doing lens covers to make them flush with the aircraft skin.

They aren't flush, but recessed.

Warbird, but the best image from the war I can't find in decent resoloution. 

thank-u-nhs-spitfire-airpower-art.jpg

a-DSC4765.jpg

Also, wheel wells (the outer part) /UC legs and inside doors  were PRU blue.   

The wheel well things gets debated, but no-one has ever turned up a standard Spitfire where when visible the outer well does not match the wings underside colour.  

Example of lges/doors

spitfire-in-color.jpg

The real thing

Spitfire_XI_My_Darling_Dorothy_of_the_14

a-DSC4738.jpg

On 26/06/2022 at 08:18, Roman Schilhart said:

Built from the box

KP need to get their decal designer some glasses.... their tail code is way too thick. 

Detail points aside,   great model, lovely photography :goodjob:

• Like 3

On 6/27/2022 at 9:04 PM, Troy Smith said:

Also, wheel wells (the outer part) /UC legs and inside doors  were PRU blue.   

The wheel well things gets debated, but no-one has ever turned up a standard Spitfire where when visible the outer well does not match the wings underside colour.  

Thank you for feedback, Troy!

I should have asked you in first place, I know...

I studied the original photo of "Dorothy" (as posted above) before painting for the choice of surface color.

Unfortunately it's impossible to tell the color of gear legs and insides from this picture!

KP instructions call for Aluminum gear legs, green wheel wells and door insides, and I blindly followed their advice.

• Like 1