Vampire. 442 Squadron, RCAF. *** Finished ***

Jb65rams

Finally decided on my entry, I will be building Airfx’s 1/48 Vampire in the kit suppled scheme for No. 442 ‘City of Vancouver’ Squadron.

Vampire F3

Vampire F3

Vampire F3

Not sure when I will start as I have two ongoing builds in the Century Series GB, a build still to start in the Revell-Monogram GB and the F-5 STGB starting soon.

Edited by Jb65rams
Title updated.
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Made some more progress. Replaced the kit sea with an Eduard Brassin on. added some weight just behind the cockpit, self adhesive wheel weights, will still need some in the nose I think.

RCAF Vampire F3

I range into problems attaching the top half fuselage, really struggled to get a good join around the cockpit. Had to remove the IP fitted to the top half as it seem to be getting hung between the wheel well and control column, but eventually got there.

RCAF Vampire F3

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of progress to report, but did manage to snap one of the main undercarriage legs off. Repaired it with a small length of brass tube.

Once I had sorted the repair, I masked it and sprayed the red accents.

RCAF Vampire F3

• Like 6

Looks great JB. I love the scheme!

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful work and the scheme is excellent. I saw one of these today but the shop wanted $55 dollars for the kit. WAAAAAY too rich for my blood, so will need to buy it online at some point. 

That does seem quite a lot - it's about $10 more than it goes for here, and kits are pretty pricey in Australia (not surprising given the cost of shipping anything this far!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zebra said:

Looks great JB. I love the scheme!

That does seem quite a lot - it's about $10 more than it goes for here, and kits are pretty pricey in Australia (not surprising given the cost of shipping anything this far!)

To be honest hes known for gouging on certain kits. He carries Dora and quite a few rare makers but asks way more than online. I don't think he cares too much about traditional plastic models. He's mostly RC and has more Gundam than standard plastic kits. When I buy the kit it will be from Sprue brothers, here is what they charge.

https://spruebrothers.com/afx06107-1-48-airfix-hawker-de-haviland-vampire-f-3/

Finished off the decalling whilst waiting for paint to dry on my groupbuild entry.

Had to put a little bit extra nose weight in the front wheel well.

Gallery updated.

RCAF Vampire F3

Really enjoyed this kit. Nice colourful entry sitting in my cabinet.
Thanks for a great groupbuild.

• Like 7

• Jb65rams changed the title to Vampire. 442 Squadron, RCAF. *** Finished ***