Bombardier CRJ-1000 ++ Abandoned and in the bin ++

CliffB

Hi all,

I'll be building this 1/200 scale, 3D printed kit of the Bombardier CRJ-1000 airliner.

P1130202.JPG

The -1000 series was the longest version of the CRJ (Canadair Regional Jet), family and was produced between 2010 and 2020.

I bought this kit, via the Shapeways marketplace, about 7 or 8 years ago.  At the time I couldn't find any aftermarket decals for the -1000, so ended up buying a couple of sheets for shorter versions (from the Canadian company, V1 Decals), in order to get the necessary number of windows.  

I'll be building a Croatia Airlines aircraft, using a Flightpath A319/320 sheet for their markings.

P1130203.JPG

Cheers

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, zebra said:

Looks like it won’t take long!

I'm really hoping that it will be quick build, as I'm already falling behind on this year's programme ;).

The scheme is as simple as it gets (pure white fuselage and wings), but the fly in the ointment could be surface preparation.  I've built a couple of 3D kits before and getting rid of the inevitable surface striations can be a pain.  The full extent of the issue only becomes apparent under a coat of primer....

Cheers

I've been using Mr Surfacer 1000 from a spray can on my own 3D printed parts. Often one coat with a bit of sanding is enough to deal with the striations, if not two usually does the job.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2022 at 12:47 PM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Watching with interest Cliff, I have a couple of Canadair/Bombardier jet in the stash and may drag one out for this later.

Thanks Ray.  I must admit that I do enjoy the occasional airliner build :coolio:

• 1 month later...

Right folks.  I'm pleased to say that my Jubilee Jag is now at the paint stage, so I have a bit of spare time to start this CRJ.

P1130247.JPG

The parts needed a thorough de-grease and a light sand (to reduce some of the characteristic 3D roughness), but otherwise went together really well.  I've left the engines loose at the moments to make painting easier.

The only real problem has been the flimsiness of the fuselage.  It's printed hollow and the wall thickness is very thin.  I've already managed to crack it a couple times through clumsy handling - luckily the damage was easy to fix using thin superglue.  The wings are firmly affixed, but will still 'flap' due to flexing in the neighbouring structure.

Once everything was put together, a quick CoG test showed that the model would be a tail-sitter.  The solution was to cut out the roof of the nose-wheel bay and use the resulting hole to insert snippets of lead flashing material.  They're held in place using UV-setting resin (which is always fun to use!).

P1130248.JPG

This macro shot also shows some residual 3D striations.  In the cool(er) air of tomorrow morning, I'll spray on some micro-filler to see what disappears...

Cheers

• Like 5

Overnight, I've been worrying about the wing flex issue.  The main u/c legs mount onto the wings, so every time the model is picked up and put down, the fuselage distorts.  Given its fragility, I'm sure it would only be a matter of time before it cracks.

I've had limited options to add reinforcement, so decided on this plasticard splint.  It won't be visible when the model's on display and I've also tried to make it look as though it's meant to be there ;).  Stuck on with loads of superglue, it's solved the flexing problem!

P1130249.JPG

I should add that I've bought a few 3D printed aircraft kits and this is the only one that's been printed hollow.  All the rest are solid.

Cheers

• Like 5

5 hours ago, zebra said:

Interesting to see some of the challenges with the new technology, and how you're dealing with them. Fingers crossed that the splint works!

Thanks @zebra.  The wing splint seems to be working well, but I now need one for the tail too - which I managed to accidentally knock off!

This fuselage is unbelievably fragile.  This is not only down to its wafer thin walls, but also the brittle, crystalline material that's been used to print it.

P1130250.JPG

As you can see, I've got some primer on now and the surface striations are much more apparent.  The wings and tail plane have been printed as solid items, so it's possible to remove most of the surface texture by gentle sanding.  I shall definitely not be sanding the hollow fuselage and fin though, but will be relying instead on coats of Mr.Surfacer (as you suggested earlier :thumbsup2:).

Cheers

• Like 3

OK.  I surrender.

The fuselage found some new places to split and I finally realised that the nose bears a strong resemblance to that of a duck-billed platypus :undecided:

So the CRJ now resides, in bits, in the bin.

I'm off to find something else suitably Canadian!

Cheers

• Sad 4

• CliffB changed the title to Bombardier CRJ-1000 ++ Abandoned and in the bin ++