1/72 SR-71 Blackbird Crew Access Steps

A few years back, I built Academy's 1/72 SR-71 Blackbird, which turned out very nicely and has even won a couple of awards in shows I've taken it to. At the time, I bought a set of photoetched brass crew access steps, made by Aircraft in Miniature (AIM) Ltd. Unhappily, Salvadore Dali could have done a better job than me of bending the photoetch, which ended up being trashed.  :sad:

Recently, AIM released a 3D printed set of Blackbird steps to replace their photoetched version, which I wasted no time in buying.

52172074887_13ed1609ac_c.jpg

Inside the box I found a nearly-complete set of steps -- the only assembly needed is to add the "bumper" that runs along the edge of the platform and protects the Blackbird's fuselage. The biggest job was in removing the steps/platform from its forest of supporting resin. Here's what it looked like when I was finished:

52172074852_b607bf0c0b_c.jpg

Basically, all I had to do was add the bumper strip, and paint the bugger. Oh yes, I forgot to mention, no decals are provided so I printed up a set of my own based on photos I found on the web.

52173118058_2d55b83e50_b.jpg

I've not much else to say, so let's see how it looks when done:

52172074867_a90c1cfe1a_c.jpg

52173345589_feb437f292_c.jpg

52173578975_a1d383ee52_c.jpg

And yes, I think I may have gone a bit overboard on the weathering:

52173345584_6359052692_c.jpg

That's it! A rewarding afternoon spent at the bench.

p.s. If anyone's interested, here's the RFI to my Blackbird build from nearly 5-years ago:

• Like 39

The steps look great for 1/72 - lots of nice detail & no need for fiddly etched brass to fold & solder.  I do miss the days of kits including FOD covers & steps in the kit

• Like 1

It's really amazing what 3D printing can do these days.  At the last show I attended, a small manufacturer was offering printed catapults suitable for 1/72 SOC or OS2U aircraft which were amazingly detailed.  Unfortunately I forgot to buy one. 😖

11 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

It's really amazing what 3D printing can do these days.  At the last show I attended, a small manufacturer was offering printed catapults suitable for 1/72 SOC or OS2U aircraft which were amazingly detailed.  Unfortunately I forgot to buy one. 😖

So far, I’ve built just one 3D printed model (I’m not counting the SR-71 stairs, with just two pieces to assemble). That was a 1/72 Socata Tampico general aviation trainer (the plane I learned to fly in). I seriously doubt any mainstream producer would ever model a Socata.

The crew ladder on my recent F-100 was 3D printed, and came ready-to-paint — I.e, no supporting structure to cut away, unlike the SR-71 stairs and most other 3D items I’ve seen. I wonder how they did that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billn53 said:

The crew ladder on my recent F-100 was 3D printed, and came ready-to-paint — I.e, no supporting structure to cut away, unlike the SR-71 stairs and most other 3D items Ive seen. I wonder how they did that?

Hired on some Oompa-Loompas, most likely.

• Haha 1

Well done AIM and your work on the stuff is Top Class! I recently bought a USAF Tractor from them, 3D printed and the kit was firmly attached with so many resin tentacles to its basement, quite a challenge to remove without damaging the main part.

I remember doing this access ladder from scratch for my Italeri SR, not so easy to do. Could be interesting to compare it to the AIM one! 

If I may, there are two additional wires connecting the base horizontal legs, which seems to miss in your build but again the rest is brillant! 

spacer.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

Well done AIM and your work on the stuff is Top Class! I recently bought a USAF Tractor from them, 3D printed and the kit was firmly attached with so many resin tentacles to its basement, quite a challenge to remove without damaging the main part.

I remember doing this access ladder from scratch for my Italeri SR, not so easy to do. Could be interesting to compare it to the AIM one! 

If I may, there are two additional wires connecting the base horizontal legs, which seems to miss in your build but again the rest is brillant! 

spacer.png

Thank you, sir! I followed your fine Blackbird build and was highly impressed with your scratch-built access steps.The AIM set has another error in addition to the one you pointed out — the railings around the platform are too short, compared to photos of the real thing. I discovered this after I was done, but probably would have let it pass even had I noticed it earlier. 

• 6 months later...