HM Submarine Courageous

Here is my representation of HMS Courageous, a Churchill Class submarine of the Royal Navy using the recently released Mikro Mir kit of HMS Conqueror in 1/350. Built half OOB as I like the waterline look of my maritime. The only extra work done was adding the side vents and correcting the white draught marks to red, oh and adding an extra set of draught marks to the forward edge of the rudder. Depicting the boat as 'crossing the line' in 1981(ish).

20220625-220330.jpg

20220625-220410.jpg

20220625-220547.jpg

20220625-220449.jpg

Short build  log here: 

Stuart

• Like 45

Gidday Stuart, I agree with those above, an interesting diorama. It's a scene that I don't often associate with nuclear subs - stationary on the surface with the crew at 'R & R' stations. (Or is that an American term?) Well done.. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

"R & R" is normally classed as time off ashore.   "Make & Mend" is generally, and loosely, associated with time off onboard.  In the case of Stuart's build, that is called "Hands to bathe".

Excellent build Stuart.  :thumbsup:

Mike

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Came out great Stuart.

In the US Navy, that would be a "swim call". If you planned and had a barbeque and games while swimming, it is a "steel beach picnic" or just "steel beach".  Our somewhat equivalent of "Makers" is "Ropeyarn (day of the week)" as in Ropeyarn Tuesday.

Dave

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

"Makers" for short? Thanks for the explanation. 🙂 Regards, Jeff.

I believe that is a USN term, not RN.  My understanding is the full term, in the RN, is "Make do and mend".

Mike

• Like 1

@Bandsaw Steve @Terry1954 @JohnWS @S-boat 55 @beefy66 @ArnoldAmbrose @bootneck @Pappy @ssn705

Cheers guys, much appreciated. The water was fine although a little daunting to start with, there are things out there that eat ya you know! What ever it's called, it was great fun, especially after being cooped up in a steel tube, and soon after this 'good fun' came the 'The Falklands'...not so good.

Stuart

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Try doing it by jumping off an aircraft carrier!  HMS Albion 1971 Indian Ocean.

Now that would be much more daunting, if the impact didn't kill you, there are a lot things out there that want to kill you or eat you or both!

Stuart

• Haha 1

I must admit to being a bit terrified, as we moved to the deck edge and looking down.  No worries, we had the Blue Beret Brigade patrolling around us... WITH GUNS!  :frantic:

we were fine though, being booties we had our Commando knives  :wicked:

Mike 

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

I remember the first time jumping off the deck for a group swim.  What I don't remember is climbing the ladder to get back on board.  The water was so cold, as soon as I hit the  water, I swear I flew back onto the deck without touching the ladder.  Brrr! :cold:  :laugh:

• Haha 8

4 hours ago, bootneck said:

I must admit to being a bit terrified, as we moved to the deck edge and looking down.  No worries, we had the Blue Beret Brigade patrolling around us... WITH GUNS!  :frantic:

we were fine though, being booties we had our Commando knives  :wicked:

Mike 

Please tell me that the daggers were gripped firmly between your teeth in best Commando comics style 🤞

Pappy

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

That is an excellent little dio you have there, I'm fascinated by subs, but have no real inclination to model them as, at least in 1/700, they can be a bit dull to look at. This however is extremely well done, both for extra details and the setting, and had made me reconsider my unwarranted aversion.

David

Ps. I wouldn't have wanted to go in either, but I have a phobia of getting sucked under and through the props (I know its stationary) rather than the much more realistic possibility of freezing or being lunch.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2022 at 1:11 PM, Adm Lord De Univers said:

That is an excellent little dio

Thanks David, much appreciated. Subs are indeed a bit dull, even 1/350; lack of colour, lack of detail, very much designed to be unseen with a purpose.

Stuart

• Like 1