Any aftermarket parts for the Italeri Tornado in 1/48?

SallysDad

Hi Folks.

I am looking at this old Italeri kit and wondering what could be added to it. Nice panel lines anyway.

Any engine/exhaust set for it? 

Cockpit set? 

Wheel wells?

I know this is an old kit, perhaps ignored now in the market with so many newer, detailed kits. 

Any thoughts on this are welcome.

Happy days to you.

Thanks.

There are not that many newer, better kits.... apart from the now reigning Revell offering!

As mentioned above:

Neomega resin cockpit for a IDS/ Gr variant, lots of now hard to find Paragon parts. ( nozzles, RAF pylons, slats, flaps,...

Eduard did a PE set for the F3

Then there is DJ parking Tornado mega set...

No dedicated wheelbase I think though.

But:

Many aftermarket parts can be adapted to the kit with some effort!

I adapted lots of parts designed for the not so great Hobbyboss kit to the Airfix F3 once... ;)

Wheels are a no brained of course..

The 1.48  Italeri Tornado kit was the best Tornado in this scale  during decades.

All those above mentioned sets for it are  from the 80's or 90's begining.

All the modern AM sets like Eduard Brassin, PE, as the Flightpath, Neomega, Xtraparts/Paragon are ALL perfectly suitable for Italeri Kit.

I like to pay 30 platas for a kit and then spend 60/80 platas to make it better detailed.

SouthViper from Brazil 

I did not use aftermarket parts, but did feel compelled to change things. The main problem, which as far as I know is not addressed by aftermarket, are the wing root pneumatic seals (or, should I say, the lack thereof). I could not find any alternative other than scratch building using evergreen. The leading edges of the wings also have an unnatural gap, which need to be "smoothed".

All the rest can be done with aftermarket parts (although, being the cheapskate I am, I did try to "enhance" the wheel wells with wire and evergreen...).

What about the exhaust/engine sets for this kit? I know Reskit makes engines for the Tornado. Would any of those or something from another source be suitable to this kit.... what I mean is, would engines not designed to fit this kit work without much or any fiddling?

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 4:41 PM, SallysDad said:

What about the exhaust/engine sets for this kit? I know Reskit makes engines for the Tornado. Would any of those or something from another source be suitable to this kit.... what I mean is, would engines not designed to fit this kit work without much or any fiddling?

Thanks again.

It would be possible, but the ADV/ F-3 Engine Exhausts pipes are a foot or so longer than the IDS/ GR1/ GR4 etc.  due to 'reasons' 🙂  But the from the rear this shouldn't be too apparent. Might be a bit tricky if the Resin parts are due to mount at a specific internal fuselage location on the GR1 kit. 

12 hours ago, Troffa said:

It would be possible, but the ADV/ F-3 Engine Exhausts pipes are a foot or so longer than the IDS/ GR1/ GR4 etc.  due to 'reasons' 🙂  But the from the rear this shouldn't be too apparent. Might be a bit tricky if the Resin parts are due to mount at a specific internal fuselage location on the GR1 kit. 

they are indeed, in order to provide a longer afterburner  - i.e. more rehear power for close combat... if I understand correctly. this lengthening though takes effect on the rear  fuselage, before the actual nozzles, which are the same. The lug is inserted between the elevator hinges and the nozzle / thrust reversers

rather sure no aftermarket exhaust cares about the inner length of the afterburner too much

I have the Italeri with all the XTRAPARTS/NEOMEGA resin parts as follows 

Burner cans with reverse thrust buckets 

Fin base correction 

Boz and Phimat pods 

Pylons 

Flaps/slats

Wing seals

Also the Neomega cockpit. I also have the comprehensive weapons set from the otherwise ropey Airfix GR1 and to support that lot Aeroclub metal legs. 

Will get around to it one day

• Like 1

A Fin Base Correction (Paragon/Xtraparts) was really the only thing that was considered "essential" to fix flaws in the Italeri kit back when it was the only game in town.  Everything else was dressing up the base kit. Xtraparts which rebranded as Paragon Designs shutdown around 20 years ago, so their parts are going to be nearly impossible to track down after all this time.

Neomega's site lists their cockpit as available, I placed an order with them earlier this year that was filled quickly. They relocated to Hinckley from Moscow at some point so no need to  work around sanctions.

The recent engine sets that are widely available (Aires and Reskit) look like they would take quite a bit of effort to adapt.  Hobbyboss, Revell and Italeri all build up the aft fuselage around the thrust reversers differently with the Aires and Reskit nozzles incorporating part of the thrust reverser.  I have a set of Xtraparts nozzles in the stash and they just replace the Italeri parts leaving the reverser area alone.  

Aires wheel bays may be adaptable, they do have different ones for Hobbyboss and Revell.  I've used Aires parts before and the fit was atrocious, so adapting them to the Italeri kit can't be much worse than getting them into their intended kit.

Wheels and things under the wings are generic enough they should be easy enough to use.  Eduard should have any of the pods available in their Brassin line and they came out with JP233 dispensers that used to be only available from Paragon.