Monogram Helldiver SB2C 1/48th ***FINISHED***

Good morning,

On 01/08/2022 at 10:48, JeroenS said:

I'm quite impressed with your panel line engraving. I couldn't scribe a straight line if my life depended on it. 

It is stupid, but I have gotten into the habit of engraving the structures of all my Monogram models. So I did a lot of testing and I don't bang my head against the walls anymore.

:wall: :drunk:

I painted the model.

24_sb210.jpg

I used a very old Humbrol Authentic Colour pot; I had bought this one when Humbrol was no longer making this series. I even bought the whole stock of this colour in the shop! (three pots of Non Spec Blue HU4); I really like this colour which is neither blue nor green. The pot has not moved for thirty years, the mixture is smooth, a treat that differs from the current composition of Humbrol pots.

I will put the decals in place before I start the weathering.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 9

Good morning to all.

16 hours ago, JeroenS said:

What is your preferred scribing tool?

:bye:

Here is my little engraving kit:

25_sb210.jpg

I use sewing needles that I fix in a drill holder:

26_sb210.jpg

I like them neither too thin nor too thick.

Materials are not what they used to be, and I often break them. So to avoid too much overhang between the tip and the base of the needle, I shorten them.

I especially engrave when I go on holiday, because the material does not take up any space in the car!😋

I take up the engraving following the lines of the model, sometimes I follow a plan. Sometimes I slip up:

27_sb210.jpg

I fill the line with cyano acrilate glue, sand and start again.

I varnished a part of the model, I installed Aeromaster decals, but they have not aged well; they seem quite stiff to me.

28_sb210.jpg

Monogram proposes a decoration of a SB2C-4 of the VMSB244.  Here is the aircraft, photo taken in Squadron Signal n°54 p41, copyright 1982 Squadron Signal Publications

29_sb210.jpg

The helldiver seems to have been repainted in some places, as if to erase the previous codes. I will start aging the colours, then I will add some fresh paint before putting the 702 codes and the baby II name. 

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 9

Hello, all;

Thank you for your interest.

I changed the moulded barrels with micro tubes that I nested inside each other:

30_sb210.jpg

The model of the Beast is still a toy, but some improvements give it some nice details to look at.

Should I also do the Aegis antennas under the wings?:hmmm:

The weathering of the model is in progress.

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 7

• Snafu35 changed the title to Monogram Helldiver SB2C 1/48th, The end is near.

Hello, fellow modelers :bye: ,

I have finished building this Curtiss SB2C-4 Helldiver Monogram:

31_sb210.jpg

I think that the age of the Monogram decals is the cause of some minor installation problems. I also found the strange consistency of the glue that makes a whitish milky substance!

32_sb210.jpg

Brrrrrrr...! Unfolding the wings and ready to fly :pilot::

33_sb210.jpg

Close-up of the Monogram engine, or what you can see of it:

34_sb210.jpg

Close-up of a hydraulic hose and the barrel:

35_sb210.jpg

I added Yagi antennas coming from a TBM Accurate Miniature box.

"Hi Mum, I'm going to fly. Wish me luck!"

36_sb210.jpg

37_sb210.jpg

My Beast Monogram now joins the TBF Avenger from the same manufacturer:

38_sb210.jpg

Thank you for paying attention to my construction, thanks to Michael/Toryu who showed the pictures of his construction (it's motivating!)

I could continue this group build, as I counted 24 boxes of Monogram models in my stash!

( SBD, TBD-1, T6, P38, P39, P51, P61, P80, B25 x3, A26 x2, B17G x2, mig15, F9F5 from Lt Brubaker, PBY, F84, F8E, F4D, F105G,... Nice collection, isn't it? 😋 )

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 12

• Snafu35 changed the title to Monogram Helldiver SB2C 1/48th ***FINISHED***
10 hours ago, Snafu35 said:

I could continue this group build, as I counted 24 boxes of Monogram models in my stash!

( SBD, TBD-1, T6, P38, P39, P51, P61, P80, B25 x3, A26 x2, B17G x2, mig15, F9F5 from Lt Brubaker, PBY, F84, F8E, F4D, F105G,... Nice collection, isn't it? 😋 )

Ooooh ok now I'm jealous, Id love to do the TBD & P-80 again, I did one of the TBD’s in about 1984 and not very well done. I did build a few of the F-80’s but none have survived. 

• Like 1

Beautiful Beast!

And I agree with you re the Humbrol Authentic Colors: pots over 30 years old behave as if fresh from the paint factory.

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Good morning,

I Thank you for your compliments.

On 10/08/2022 at 11:33, TonyW said:

It needs an SBD to keep it company. Hint hint...

I was thinking the same thing, Tony!

I'm participating to a group build about Midway on a french forum, and it could be funny;

a Monogram model is quite good against a SBD Accurate Miniature or Hasegawa! Plus the dive brakes can be opened, great! :lol:

On 10/08/2022 at 19:20, Toryu said:

Makes me think about advancing the restoration of mine. Congratulations! Michael

Michael, you should keep your Helldiver as it is; maybe make another one!  :winkgrin:

On 10/08/2022 at 22:04, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ooooh ok now I'm jealous, Id love to do the TBD & P-80 again, I did one of the TBD’s in about 1984 and not very well done. I did build a few of the F-80’s but none have survived. 

You should take advantage of this group build to relaunch a construction; in any case, I will follow your assembly.:thumbsup:

On 10/08/2022 at 22:31, jean said:

I agree with you re the Humbrol Authentic Colors: pots over 30 years old behave as if fresh from the paint factory.

Beware, Jean; nostalgia is the beginning of old age!:clif: :D
But as we say when we are young: there is no photo. Today's glycero paintings suck because you have to make a choice between having fun or dying (very) old. :unsure:

All right. By popular demand, I'm going to push everything I have on the workbench to start an SBD Dauntless Monogram...

...Once I've finished a Kate Hasegawa, a Val Airfix, two Fouga Magister Kinetic, a F2A2 Tamiya...  😂

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Like 3