No. 1 Squadron RCAF Sopwith Dolphin and Fokker DVII

Marklo

At the end of WWI no. 1 were equipped with Sopwith Dolphins but also managed to obtain a number of Fokker DVIIs which they flew side by side with the Sopwiths, indeed several pilots preferred the Fokker. I'll be building the Copper state models  1/48 Dolphin and a Roden 1/48 DVII for the GB. 

125C5C03-22E0-4D97-BDB7-CDFAF70AE91B.jpg

I will of course refrain from all the obvious jokes aboot Canadia(it's a Simpson joke) ehhhhy. 

Right I've gotten that out of my system, modelling next :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 9

24 minutes ago, zebra said:

German aircraft in Canadian service was not at all what I was expecting in this GB!

Me neither but I love the eclectic and with very few exceptions I hate to miss a group build and with the internet as a resource it’s possible to find quite a few interesting schemes for most aircraft E.g I managed to to build a Fokker triplane for the French GB last year.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, John Masters said:

The Canadian look will be a fun change for the Fokker...

True, but I'm dreading the Roden lozenge pattern decals. I have now gotten microsol and micro set and also liquid decals which I may coat the decals with before applying them. 

Edited by Marklo

2 hours ago, John Masters said:

Maybe try for some aftermarket lozenge?  I

I'll see how I go m. I reckon the liquid decal might be the game changer for Roden decals. 

As I'm on a tight budget I'll try a few things first. 

Aviattic designed a number of lozenge decal sets for the Eduard kit.  Note their blurb 'Eduard DVII's have under-sized ailerons and over-stated rib detail - in places where it wasn't present (!) - along with slight discrepancies in fuselage width and depth.'   I'm not sure how big a difference there is in the details, but it would take comparing scaled down drawings of a Wingnut kit to find out.   Never the less, it will still end up looking like an Fokker DVII.

https://www.aviattic.co.uk/148-fokker-dvii.html

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

Great idea Marklo, I look forward to seeing these. I have a fokker dvii that I'd like to build as used by William Barker for the Toronto-New York-Toronto race.

• Thanks 1

I have done one to 1/72. For the Maple leaf decals and details I came across decals for this one by JBOT Decals.   The D.VII wasn't one used in service by Canada I believed, but was a captured one and possibly used as a hack. Note the lack of guns in the image.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting idea!  I have the Dolphin kit but not felt brave enough to start it, so will follow your build to see what you think of it.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Viking said:

I have the Dolphin kit but not felt brave enough to start it, so will follow your build to see what you think of it.

It looks to be a lovely kit. I’ll probably get stuck in next week once my Dornier and Avro 504 are over the line. 

1-CE0-CD0-F-C311-4789-BCEE-A5-D31-E3842-Rough hand painted lozenge on the inside of the DVII, Roden are very coy about the colours. I’ve seen other manufacturers supply decals with a toned down lozenge pattern to simulate the unprinted side of the fabric.

I’ll give it a light coat or a wash of my CDL mix to complete the effect.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, zebra said:

it had never occurred to me that there would be a lozenge pattern on the inside, but of course it makes perfect sense.

I think the lozenge fabric was screen printed so there’s a certain amount of bleed through.  It’s relatively subtle.

5105-D369-13-C0-46-A4-8-BC0-C0-D44-B55-C

• Like 3

Can't comment on the Roden decals as I've no idea what they look like.   You do have the correct number of lozenge colours set at four for this particular OAW built machine.   I do recall reading at the Aerodrome forums that rib tape colours could vary amongst the various manufacturers of the DVII.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JackG said:

I do recall reading at the Aerodrome forums that rib tape colours could vary amongst the various manufacturers of the DVII

Afaik the tapes and even direction of the fabric could vary from factory to factory. I think it’s like most modelling if possible consult references on the specific machine you’re going to model.

661-E05-C8-14-FE-4115-B8-C7-4907-DD24034Assembled the wings and gave the interior a quick spray of my CDL mix. That’s  the effect I was going for.

6-D399454-D46-F-43-E9-99-D3-F60-E1-F3-A9Since I had the CDL mix out I gave the dolphin parts a quick coat too.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

4860-E931-F6-EB-48-F7-B921-8-BD5-D373708Still need to decide which DVII I’m going to model. I like the 50 but I think it’s in five colour lozenge ( which may not none correct) and I think my decals are four colour.

B34-E5-C92-6-BAA-4-F1-E-8218-55-F7520-E0TBH I’m not even entirely sure which ones are upper surface( the ones on the right ?) and which are undersurface :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

hmm, not sure what to say about those Roden decals.  As a rule of thumb, usually the dark lozenge set is for the top, while bottom are decidedly paler, but these I dunno.  It almost looks like they mixed up a few colours between the top and bottom sets.

I purchased the pdf version of the Kestral Aerospace Publication #24 dedicated to Canadian Fokker D.VII and the colour profile contained within is very similar to the faded lozenge version from Aviattic, with the topside possibly a bit more faded.   And yes, Barker's racing Fokker emblazoned with the white '50' does have the 5 Lozenge style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1