Almost too scared to ask this (P40B info).....

mackem01

Nearing completion of my Sea Harrier for the GB and thoughts have turned to the next build. I have decided on a P40 

of 26sqn based at Gatwick in '41. I know these were painted in American equivalents of R.A.F. colours (Du Pont is the

company most mentioned) Searching this site for the info required has brought up some interesting and very fiery 

discussions - so without wishing to start WWIII would anyone familiar with these colours like to proffer some advice.

Keeping it as simple as possible would the Du Pont colours of DE/DG/SKY have been lighter or darker than UK paint

and by how much? FWIW cuold I just use standard colours? Finally what colour would the cockpit and wheels have

been on UK machines?

M.T.I.A......

The American paints wouldn't just have been lighter or darker, the tones would also have been different.

Sovereign Hobbies' Colourcoats range contains all three colours and they are renowned for their accuracy and quality.  Buy and use with confidence.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, mackem01 said:

cuold I just use standard colours? Finally what colour would the cockpit and wheels have

been on UK machines?

Depends on what Scale you are building?

As Stever219 stated above the Sovereign Hobbies' Colourcoats range

scrubs up quite nicely against the DuPont Swatches I have off a Curtiss

P40E-1

59516d96-77b6-4750-976e-fd05c4da1db3.jpg

For Interior Colours, just bear in mind, these Air Frames were "Purchased" with British Gold, not Lend Lease,

so Britain could/did have say over colours. Bearing that in mind apart from the Cockpit colour, it is quite

reasonable to say that Wheel wells/Rudder post etc probably were colours like below for a "Life Magazine"

photo, for ease of production

60368654-0828-461e-b872-f2a8fbaf97e7.jpg

I made up my own version using Humbrol 81 Pale Yellow and a small amount of Humbrol 56 Aluminium

7e5708ba-ea7a-435d-97d1-a07100ae81c7.jpg

Now the Cockpit Colour - Curtiss had their own version of a Cockpit Colour (Yellow Green).

British Ordered Air Frames had different, consider the following.

I have seen two P40E-1's with Cockpit Colours that resemble British Cockpit Colours, yet have a tone

that is all of their own

I certainly believe that the P40B had same/similar

I mixed one colour (bit hit and miss) Bluey Green colour

50afe508-f444-485e-bc72-52a4139cc7e3.jpg

The other colour Colour is similar to this Hudson Interior photo

0e03efd5-deb8-492e-b57b-fd502898c2ec.jpg

(Photo used Permission of NR Mines)

The DuPont Colour Chip card for British MAP Colours gives "Cockpit Light Green" DuPont 71-036

pretty close to the above Hudson

Unfortunately there really isn't a "buy off the shelf" paint for the Cockpit colour

Hope the above is of help?

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Curtiss applied to H75 and H81, specifications S517 for export airplanes.

Coat of tinted primer  cockpit green/yellow green was spayed over the shop coating, prussian blue Lionoil.
below, the tinted primer(french H75  wreck)

spacer.png

later, color will be conform to interior green

• Like 4