Vickers Vanguard Trans Canada Airlines 1/144 Airfix

Grandboof

Hi All 

Thought I might seek in a civie this time . I will be using Thunderbird decals otherwise out of the box . The opening shot below. 

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 7

On 6/25/2022 at 10:25 PM, zebra said:

Excellent choice! Good to see an airliner build. I think I’ll do an airliner too - probably a CP Air DC-8 or DC-10.

The DC-8 would look great. i do like the look of the First generation jet liners .

• Like 1

Hi All

Well it is started . Some blacking of the flight deck . Weight added (12 grams) as per instructions . Closed up ready for clean up. The cabin windows will be filled with Crystal Clear . Thanks for looking . More soon 

Martin H

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Hi All 

Wings together but one has a problem . Quick solution wing swap with another kit and worry about this when said has turn on the bench .

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 2

I have always liked the Vanguard. I look forward to seeing it done up in the Trans Canada Livery.

If you like aviation humour you may or may not have heard of Down East International (airline) based in Moncton New Brunswick with chief pilot/CEO Ace McCool and his rag tag bunch of pilots. This was a long running series in the Canadian Aviation ( I think ) magazine authored by Jack Desmarais many years ago.

https://books.friesenpress.com/store/title/119734000172508543/Jack-Desmarais-Ace-McCool

I seem to recall that someone made decals too but that may just be my imagination and wishful thinking.

cheers, Graham

• Like 2

Hi All

It now has wings . The required cabin windows have been filled so to conform to the TCA/Air Canada layout . One additional window has yet to added to the rear of the starboard side . The plan is to use Krystal Clear to fill the open windows after the decal has been applied . Possible recipe for disaster . Things could change if I chicken out. These changes would also apply to the Invicta Airlines option in the latest boxing of this kit as they were ex Air Canada aircraft . Thanks as always for looking 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Hi All 

Sorry for the long pause between updates . Should be more often now that I have retired. All primed and ready for some colour . The engines will be painted and added later . The props seem prone to breaking so leaving them off until later hopefully will avoid any problems . Thanks for looking 

Martin Hspacer.png

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon  one and all.

The white uppers are done ( 4 Coats ) so on to masking . The plan is to have clear cabin windows . Probably a recipe for disaster but worth a try . In case of failure I have a plan B.Now to catch up on the other great work here . Thanks as always for dropping by . New work bigger bench coming soon just a couple of walls need to go.

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 8

That’s looking nice👍Apart from that exhaust on the port wing, the moulds have stood the test of time. On mine, the props needed a tidy up and at least one blade dropped off.

Trevor

23 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

That’s looking nice👍Apart from that exhaust on the port wing, the moulds have stood the test of time. On mine, the props needed a tidy up and at least one blade dropped off.

Trevor

The blade drop seems to be common . One on this one and one on the donor kit . Two different issues of the kit same prop . I have two others one of the originals and another of the same issue as this one . Probably worth a check . Curiosity and all that 

Martin H

• Like 1

On 05/10/2022 at 07:09, Grandboof said:

The blade drop seems to be common . One on this one and one on the donor kit . Two different issues of the kit same prop . I have two others one of the originals and another of the same issue as this one . Probably worth a check . Curiosity and all that 

Martin H

I wonder if Aeroclub still have props available?

Trevor

Evening All 

Silver on the lower surfaces done . I  will be leaving them to cure overnight then pick out some panels for some aluminium . Next step decals then the rest of the bits and pieces .

I will be leaving the props til last so as to avoid any more broken blades, Thanks as always for dropping by 

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi All

One step forward two steps back . The first cheatlines tore in multiple places so on to plan B Air Canada . I am raiding the original kit's Invicta version for the cheatlines ,the Thunderbirds for the regos etc .and the Airfix 727 for the tail logo . These may not be the exact size but seem close,  First session done and drying . May still make the deadline . I have more than enough for KUTA already . Thanks for dropping by 

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 2

Hi All 

This is the state of play with just over 5 hours to go . Cabin windows filled with crystal clear . Engines and props on . To do wheels and bay doors .finish painting logo and general touch ups . Still may just squeeze in .

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 2