Revell 1/72 Hurricane

12 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

No worries, I think the bulk of the guilt lies at my feet, anyway fate is sealed either I’ll get the kit and all it’s joy or I’ll dodge that bullet…..

In any case if you really want one this is a kit that should be easy enough to find as it's been in production for a really long time.

Unfortunately today delivery costs are much higher than they used to be, there's a pretty cheap one on Ebay in Italy (€6, should be around £5), a later box with much better decals than the ones my kit had. Even delivery within Italy is higher than the cost of the kit, delivery to the UK would probably be 3 times the cost of the kit...

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 1

Hi Giorgio,

for a 60 year old kit, you have performed a real miracle! The re-scribing makes a world of difference.

Looking forward to see the final result.

JR

• Thanks 1

On 08/08/2022 at 09:32, Giorgio N said:

and then experimented with the Dark Green in the AK interactive RAF set... that was a bit of a disappointment, although the green is not too bad. Could be a bit more olive but looked much worse in the bottle

A thought occurs, that AK have got confused, and use FS 595 refs for the US made DuPont colors, DuPont 71-009 Dark Earth, DuPont 71-013 Dark Green and the 'scale faded' them,  

see

I've not checked this, as my enthusiasm for colo(u)r matching paints goes in phases....     though IIRC the AK was not a good match for MAP Sky, or ANA 610 Sky,  and nothing like DuPont 71-021 Sky Type S grey.....  though that is just from  memory.  (of being rather annoyed with the AK set, especially as I'd used on an Arma Hurricane that awaits being stripped...) 

Neat work so far on the 'Hurricane'  ....  I did lots of the 1/144th Revell kit (basically the same kit) but not the 72nd, though it was in a batch of Hurricane kits I got off ebay a few years back,   at some point I'm going to do some OOB builds of the unsalvageble ones,  as it's pleasant to stop worrying and concentrate on just trying to get decent build and paint job.... 

cheers 

T             

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Coming along nicely Giorgio. I'm  interested to see how it comes up, I built one about 55 years ago, one of the first models I painted. Somehow, I reckon yours will look a whole lot better. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve ! 55 years ago this would have been a recent kit, probably state of the art... guess at that age you didn't care much about these things in the same way as I didn't care much about it when I entered the hobby a few years later 🙂

10 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Giorgio,

for a 60 year old kit, you have performed a real miracle! The re-scribing makes a world of difference.

Looking forward to see the final result.

JR

Thanks Jean ! Actually I did not rescribe anything, the kit features recessed panel lines together with rivets. An unusual combination that however I've seen on other Revell kits of the era.

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

A thought occurs, that AK have got confused, and use FS 595 refs for the US made DuPont colors, DuPont 71-009 Dark Earth, DuPont 71-013 Dark Green and the 'scale faded' them,  

see

I've not checked this, as my enthusiasm for colo(u)r matching paints goes in phases....     though IIRC the AK was not a good match for MAP Sky, or ANA 610 Sky,  and nothing like DuPont 71-021 Sky Type S grey.....  though that is just from  memory.  (of being rather annoyed with the AK set, especially as I'd used on an Arma Hurricane that awaits being stripped...) 

Neat work so far on the 'Hurricane'  ....  I did lots of the 1/144th Revell kit (basically the same kit) but not the 72nd, though it was in a batch of Hurricane kits I got off ebay a few years back,   at some point I'm going to do some OOB builds of the unsalvageble ones,  as it's pleasant to stop worrying and concentrate on just trying to get decent build and paint job.... 

cheers 

T             

Not sure if AK actually meant to reproduce Du Pont paints. To me the whole set looks as a badly researched one, some paints are acceptable but others are too far off to have been based on some proper research. Have to say that for some reason I insisted with AK and got the modern USN set, this looks much better accuracywise. I also have the Luftwaffe set and the one made by AK for meng with USAAF colours. These two were, like the RAF one, sets that came as part of kit lots I bought from Ebay so even if they are not accurate at least I've not spent much money on them. I'll try the Luftwaffe set on a Bf.109E I'm building in parallel with the Hurricane but since I know little on proper Luftwaffe colour I may not be able to assess these properly. I'll give a try to the USAAF set too...

Regarding the kit, well it's what it is, a proper Hurricane enthusiast would hate the shapes but has its value from a historical perspective so it makes sense to build one. I mean, I'm a big Tomcat enthusiast and I have a Monogram 1/72 F-14, that I guess is kind of similar...

• Like 3

So with the MG area painted red and a gloss coat on the lower surfaces it was time to start adding some decal.

As said before, these come from the Hobbyboss kit and the old Airfix Mk.I. Or at least this was the plan, plan that will need a small change.

Wing oundels came from Hobbyboss. IMHO they are a bit small but I'll live with it. The red is also a bit too bright but I also remember having read about the use of the prewar red on a number of Hurricanes so I'll not bother. They settled down very well on the rivets with the help of Gunze's decal liquid. 3 worked very well, one of the upper ones however for some reason broke and I'll now have to touch-up the blue areas. Could have been worse...

Codes and fuselage roundel are from the Airfix kit. I would have used the HB roundels but for some reason they feature very unusual proportions, maybe that specific aircraft has these roundels or maybe they made a mistake. The Airfix roundels are good and the red is appropriately darker... meaning that there will be some difference between these and the wing markings. Again, I'll live with it.

Codes and personal insignia are of course from Airfix as the HB decals are for a Mk.IIc. The grey codes were not printed very well for some reason but on the model they don't look too bad. The Airfix decals also settled down very well, the film is not as clear as HB's but it's still very acceptable.

Work is not completed but let's see some pictures... that for some reason are very bad, even if I used the same camera with the same light conditions of the past days

20220811_090812

20220811_090803

20220811_090731

20220811_090713

• Like 14