German F104G - Mojo starter

Davek72

I have had a very bad record this year for GBs...I blame work...or any one of the million other things it seems I am meant to be doing at any one time other than modelling.   Anyway I appreciate that I am late to the party but please may I join this this one:

52164065985_f7434e8251_b.jpg

Picked up from Jadlam expressly for this GB.  I mention this because when the package arrived it didn't have a kit in it just a tube of Revell Contacta glue.  An obviously picking error.   A quick email to the nice people at Jadlam and the kit arrived a few days later.  I even got the keep the glue.  Excellent customer service.

I choose this kit because of (a) I like the German schemes, (b) it is a relatively modern kit and will hopefully go together fairly easily and (c) low parts count means I may get it finished!!!

Schemes in the kit:

52164065935_d4a0716da1_b.jpg

52162554782_746b6a2702_b.jpg

And the sprues.

52163831684_8600858e93_b.jpg

Will be building OOB for mojo reasons.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

You are very welcome to join the GB Dave and you are far from late.

This should be a good mojo restorer for you as i think its a decent kit and theres nothing wrong with an OOB build at all.

🇺🇦

Thanks MM. Looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

Welcome Dave. 

Thats's a great choice and hopefully proves benfeicial in completing in the gb timeframe. Great scheme too, I love german starfighters. 👍

Cheers Dansk.  Got to love those greens.  Now the only issue is to find some matches in my stash.  

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how this kit goes together, the way Revell have made the different tail fin by a rear end extension is unusual, wonder if the joint will be visible? :winkgrin:

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 10:20 AM, Retired Bob said:

It will be interesting to see how this kit goes together, the way Revell have made the different tail fin by a rear end extension is unusual, wonder if the joint will be visible? :winkgrin:

We will have to see Bob 😉

• Like 2

So despite the lack of posts (I keep telling myself stop building and post) I have made quite a bit of progress.   It is a vey nice kit and everything fits together as it should.

52191121819_220233d6ac_b.jpg

52190865516_a9c1e56105_b.jpg

Vallejo aluminium and Citadel Nuln Oil wash for the undercarriage.   Really recommend the wash especially if you dilute it and apply the second layer in a localised manner.

52191190699_80ec21d67b_b.jpg

To my mind she is looking very nice.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So some progress made.  Purchased the relevant Hakata Red series paints for modern German Luftwaffe.  Sprayed the first colour:

52219858243_22af7e3d36_b.jpg

Went on pretty well over a bit of pre shading.  Full admission here i am not good with airbrushes.

Tried a few options to mask the camo but to be quite honest I got stuck.  Nothing really worked.  Tried blue tack, paper masks, cutting tape....it all was a bit off.   So reverted to brush painting the camo!  Not proud.

52227923235_3f8c626ab9_b.jpg

52227440721_08585c62ab_b.jpg

As always looks better in the flesh.

Cheers for looking.

Dave

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2022 at 9:35 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats looking real good ! 👍🏻

Cheers

On 7/19/2022 at 11:09 PM, modelling minion said:

I think that looks pretty good for brush painting Dave.👍

🇺🇦

Thank you.   Looks ok but must get better with the airbrush.

So I have gone on holiday and for the first time in 3 years we have gone abroad to lovely Portugal.  Whilst I am loving the sun, sea, sand etc I realise that one massive bonus of holidaying in the Uk for the last 3 years has been the ability to  take some modelling with me.   I reckon I have done 50% of my years modelling whilst on hols over the last 3 years.   Anyway I don’t have any models with me and a quick Google didn’t find any shops nearby so I am spending more time than I should on certain model shop sites and Britmoddler 😀.   I have also realised I have a couple of unlisted photos.

This is where I have got to.

52275293595_44586f8256_b.jpg

52275067929_45e54da562_b.jpg

I will hopefully get to thE decals very shortly on my return.

Cheers for looking.

D

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2022 at 7:41 PM, modelling minion said:

Enjoy the rest of your holiday Dave and hopefully you will find something modelling related whilst there or at least get to see something military to perhaps provide inspiration for future builds.

🇺🇦

Cheers MM.   Didn’t get to see anything in person but did do a fair bit of “research” 😀

• Like 1

Ok back for 5 days and had a final push to finish my F104.  And here she is…

52333841818_020b35f23e_b.jpg

52332651782_68edab7b7f_b.jpg

52333606791_6ca2ed43ac_b.jpg

52333606846_145b6ac384_b.jpg

All in all an enjoyable build and a nice little kit. Thank you everyone for your comments and reactions.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 6

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That has come out really well. After the fun I've had with my F-104 for this GB I can see some more in my future, a Hasegawa kit with markings for a Norm 83 bird like this is in my sights, seeing this has only strengthened that thought. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve.  Your F104 looks fab. Anymore updates?