KP 1/72 Spitfire PR.XI PM142 400 Squadron 1945

Rafwaffe

The KP 1/72 Spitfire PR.XI will be my build. This particular one will wear the markings of PM142 of 400 Squadron in 1945.

SPITFIRE PR.XI 1/72

400 Squadron, 09 May 1945, Supermarine Spitfire PR.XI PM 142

Pilot: Lawrence McMillan RCAF DFC AM (US)

On 09 May 1945, F/Lt P.G. Wigle (No.1) and F/Lt Lawrence McMillan RCAF (No.2) were on a shipping recce over the Danish waters.

The Spitfires were heading south when they at 16:56 hrs observed a convoy of four German ships in the Langelandsbælt 1 mile off Spodsbjerg on the island of Langeland.

F/Lt Wigle led the two Spitfires down to sea level and passed within 100 yards of the ships on the port side. All four ships were flying the Nazi flag and three of the ships were loaded with troops.

Wigle noticed the name “Ubena” on the second ship in line. The Spitfires continued around to the starboard side of the ships still flying at about 50 feet.

At 17:00 hrs Wigle saw his No. 2 (McMillan) explode in mid-air in a large sheet of flames and plunge into the sea. At the same time Wigle observed machine gun strikes in the sea. He climbed to 4500 feet and circled the position but could not observe any debris whatsoever. Only an oil slick could be seen on the water.

Danish fishermen sailed to the site but all that could be seen was an oil slick on the surface.

The German version of events was “After (the convoy) entered Langelands Bælt at 17:00 hrs two Spitfires were seen flying around the convoy at very low level.

Suddenly one Spitfire touched the water and exploded while the other immediately started climbing and disappeared. The incident was reported to the bridge who in turn reported to the Naval command via radio. At the same time light flak was manned just in case the other Spitfire pilot might believe that his comrade had been shot down.” (1)

The Squadron circumstantial report stated that “Due to the sudden nature of the attack it is in my opinion that F/Lt McMillan was killed outright and in any event, because of the low height, would be unable to get out of his aircraft before it plunged into the sea/” (2)

Neither the aircraft nor Pilot F/Lt Lawrence McMillan has ever been found. McMillan is commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

Burial details: J/10231 Flight Lieutenant Lawrence McMillan. Aged 23. Son of Frederick and Mary Alice McMillan, of Miami, Manitoba.
Runnymede Memorial Panel 278 (3)

Sources as quoted below:
1.  Spitfire XI PM142 crashed in Langelandsbælt 9/5 1945 (flensted.eu.com)
2.  Circumstantial Report on https://www.veterans.gc.ca
3.  Commonwealth War Graves Commission, www.cwgc.org
4.  RAFWEB, RAF Casualties Index 1940-1949, www.Rafweb.org

This aircraft and its pilot has been in my head as a build for years ever since I first read the details of the incident.

Edited by Rafwaffe
Inserted pic of kit and story and fixed typos
  • Like 5

• Rafwaffe changed the title to 1/72 Spitfire PR.XI PM142 400 Squadron 1945
5 hours ago, Rafwaffe said:

This is a placeholder for my build. The KP model 1/72 Spitfire PR.XI. This particular one will wear the markings of PM142 of 400 Squadron in 1945. I will post photos of the kit and the story of the aircraft and its unfortunate pilot in the next few days

Nice choice. I like a build with some background info so I’m looking forward to reading it when you post it.

• Rafwaffe changed the title to KP 1/72 Spitfire PR.XI PM142 400 Squadron 1945