Hasegawa 1/48 F-104C Starfighter

Hi all,

I've decided to start my first build thread on here. This project was started some time ago and it didn't progress beyond the prep stage and modification of the fuselage halves to get the Aires cockpit and Reskit exhaust to fit. The aim with this model from the outset is to achieve a highly reflective natural metal finish.

The kit and Aftermarket parts.

spacer.png

The first thing I did was drill out all the nav lights on the fuselage and cemented plasticard disks from the back side. I will later paint them with metallics and fill them with UV resin mixed with clear colors followed by sanding and final polishing.

spacer.png

The modified fuselage halves in order to accommodate the Aires resin tub.

spacer.png

Test fit of the resin cockpit with the scratch built HUD lens temporarily in place.

spacer.png

Reskit exhaust parts all cleaned up and ready for paint.

spacer.png

Test fit of the exhaust.

spacer.png

I decided to remove the top portion of the ejection seat rails and replace it with a more detailed part from Eduard brassin set.

spacer.png

The painted cockpit with some additional Eduard PE parts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The cockpit glued in place and reinforced with a mixture of CA / dental acrylic powder. Thanks to Dr. Budzik, this mixture is now my go to method of filling and reinforcing joints.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The top fuselage light was made using UV resin then sanded smooth and polished, the underside was then painted with metallics.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking,

Alex

Edited by AlexPopov
  • Like 16

Nice looking cockpit. That fuselage light is nicely fitted in the raised spine. That UV glue has some good uses and the one I use sands real good too. That CA filler makes you move along so much faster through a build I find and hardly visible under a metallic coat. I mix my thin CA with Mig gun metal powder. Method borrowed from another YouTube modeller 😉Got some acrylic nail powder for the same purpose, but yet to try. Will follow your build. Built a Canadian NMF 104 in 1/48 from kinetic once.  Will be interesting too see how the Hasegawa 104 builds as I found the Kinetic kit pleasurable but difficult. Looking good so far 👍

• Like 2

Excellent work, I’ll tag along if you don’t mind.

Your use of dental powder got me looking for more info about it (I’m a sucker for new tools and techniques). I found this video and thought I’d share it:

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Rob K. said:

Nice looking cockpit. That fuselage light is nicely fitted in the raised spine. That UV glue has some good uses and the one I use sands real good too. That CA filler makes you move along so much faster through a build I find and hardly visible under a metallic coat. I mix my thin CA with Mig gun metal powder. Method borrowed from another YouTube modeller 😉Got some acrylic nail powder for the same purpose, but yet to try. Will follow your build. Built a Canadian NMF 104 in 1/48 from kinetic once.  Will be interesting too see how the Hasegawa 104 builds as I found the Kinetic kit pleasurable but difficult. Looking good so far 👍

Thank you Rob, I agree CA based fillers can't be beat when it comes to speed and durability.

14 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent start, Alex! 👍 The cockpit painting looks amazing. I’ll take a seat...

Thanks Nikolay, glad you're enjoying the progress so far.

9 hours ago, billn53 said:

Excellent work, I’ll tag along if you don’t mind.

Your use of dental powder got me looking for more info about it (I’m a sucker for new tools and techniques). I found this video and thought I’d share it:

Thank you, that's the video. It did take some searching to find an online store that would sell this dental acrylic powder to a non-dentist.

Edited by AlexPopov
  • Like 1

Great start Alex. I have both F-104C and TF-104 1:48 Hasegawa kits with Aires cockpit details in my stash and I will follow your build with great interest. Definetely your build will guide me during my projects.

Serkan

• Like 2

Just adding to everyone else’s comments on the good start you made.

Excellent idea for the fuselage lights, too late for mine though as it’s been sitting in a box ready for painting for a couple of years!

John.   🇺🇦

• Like 1

Thank you guys.

Toby, here's a test piece of the NMF. This was done using Tamiya X-1 gloss black thinned with Mr. Leveling thinner as a base which I then polished to a very high gloss finish, followed by a coat of Mr. Color super metallic chrome silver. I very much like the results, but I'll be doing more tests using gloss black lacquer and enamel as a base and see if I can get even better results.

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress on this build.

I decided to open up the underside nose vent and then glue a piece of PE in place using a mixture of CA / dental acrylic powder.

spacer.png

The end result.

spacer.png

I wasn't satisfied with the fit of the avionics bay door as it sat a bit proud and didn't quite match the curvature of the fuselage. In order to get a perfect fit, I glued a piece of stainless steel wire in place to slightly widen the rear, and then reinforced it with CA / dental acrylic powder mix.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The rear cockpit area was detailed using brass wire.

spacer.png

To ensure a proper alignment of the pitot tube, the nose cone was first placed on a flat surface, the W&D Studio stainless steel pitot tube was glued in place using 5-min epoxy, and then adjusted the alignment using a square as it was curing. The final step was to blend the pitot tube into the nose cone using CA.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 9

I have been following Paul Budzik's modeling videos for some time, and i always knew about his technique using CA and acrylic dental powder but i've only started trying it  recently.

It comes in very handy for gap-filling applications where CA by itself just doesn't have enough "Body" to sand without excess shrinkage. I think it might also make CA less likely to crumble when you sand it down to thin cross section.

Once you master the technique of adding the resin powder to the CA it becomes a great filler material.

-d-

• Like 1