Black Maria - Finished

Andwil

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've just caught up with this, happy that you're making a decent fist of this. I've held off from buying one after reading @Paul Thompson's comments on the Rumourmonger thread, this build may change that, best of luck with the rest of it. :D

Steve.

Well, this build shows that it can be done with less drama than I enjoyed, except for the decals. I was rather hoping my kits were a one off in that regard. Fortunately I have a set by Pheon which I'll use when building the remainder.

Paul.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've held off from buying one after reading @Paul Thompson's comments on the Rumourmonger thread, this build may change that, best of luck with the rest of it. :D

Steve.

I feel the same- I was quite disappointed when I read of Paul’s experience with the kit- I had had high hopes for a modern replacement for the old Revell kit!  I had pretty much written it off as “I’ll pass…”. but I see I may need to rethink this….

-Bill

• Like 1

Moving on to the wing rigging.  Yesterday I used a length of brass wire to work out roughly where to put the holes through the middle wing for the interplane rigging and carefully drilled through the wings.  The starboard wing was dislodged and had to be reset during this process.  Today I attached the starboard rigging.  The landing wire (I think, please correct me if I’m wrong) I did as a continuous length with the cabane rigging.  Thread was inserted into the hole drilled in the cowling then fed up diagonally into a hole drilled in the top of the opposite cabane, then fed down through the middle wing, through the hole in the base of the interplane strut.  When the thread was firm in the cowling, it was gently tensioned with. Bulldog clip attached to the loose end and small drops of CA dropped onto every attachment point.  The flying wire (?) was more straightforward, attached to the fuselage, fed through the wing and attached through a hole in the top of the strut, tensioned as before and glued at each point.

52250736728_40b6b5b287_b.jpg

52250736733_d2aa599d12_b.jpg

Its not easy to see in the photos, but it seems to be working ok.  I’ll use the same method for the port wing.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 6

Undercarriage fitted today, the usual fiddle with getting everything lined up properly.  The rigging wires are here glued into the fuselage, since the photo was taken they have been tensioned and glued to the undercarriage struts and axle tree.

52255514976_ea698df78a_b.jpg

Picture also shows off the wing rigging, which looks better to the naked eye.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7

What a week!  Supposed to have more time in retirement but have been flat out busy.  Managed some bench time today and got the top wing on and added the wires that connect the ailerons and also the wing to fuselage bracing wires.  The latter were a frustrating fiddle.  Unlike regular rigging I wasn’t able to  tension them by weighting the ends, the invisible thread I normally use would not straighten out.  I was going to try stretched sprue, which I have never had much success with when I hit upon the idea of using some nylon bristles from a bannister brush.  They worked a treat, except being light green they needed painting and the slightest touch kept dislodging them.  In order to save the model I called it a day and will revisit the painting tomorrow hopefully.  So here is where it is at:

52269186190_e6040da9b7_b.jpg

52268715768_ef044bcd62_b.jpg

I really want to get this one finished this week, I need a mojo restoring break before the start of the P-38, Prototypes etc, Meteor and Ju-88 group builds start.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 8

If you ever wanted to revist those wires with sprue instead, you know that they can be tensioned after the glue dries by gingerly approaching them with a heated bit of metal? I use an old nail file held in a candle flame for a few seconds, and when you've got it at the right distance the sprue suddenly tightens up. Okay, get too close or for too long and the sprue breaks, but it costs nothing and comes off without damaging the paintwork (so long as you use PVA glue to attach it with).

Otherwise, the model looks lovely. I liike the colour, too.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

gingerly approaching them with a heated bit of metal?

Yes, thanks for the tip, I’ll have to get brave one day and give this try.

22 hours ago, Viking said:

Looking very good, the rigging is working well despite your reported struggles!

19 hours ago, zebra said:

This looks great. The rigging looks an awful lot better than I would have achieved!

Thanks fellas.

I was able to complete the painting of the bracing wires with Vallejo Metalcolour steel and attached the wheels and tail skid:

52271460250_5a45b688f8_b.jpg

The finish line is in sight, only some touch ups of paint and the prop to go.  Next post will be completion.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 5

• Andwil changed the title to Black Maria - Finished

Last few bits done, prop attached and its done.  While far from perfect, I’m reasonably happy with how it turned out, particularly as the reviews I read as I started had me wondering whether I had bitten off more than I can chew.

52274089760_ab1ef59013_b.jpg

Period flavour, copying a photo taken of N533 in 1917:

2022-08-09 08:23:21

More pics in the gallery.

Thanks for looking and especial thanks for the tips and encouraging comments.

I’m going to take a short break now, but I’ll be back for the P-38 group build.

AW

• Like 4