RF-101C Voodoo 1/48. +++ Finished +++

13 hours ago, quangster said:

For the horizontal stabs, I remember I had a problem evaluating the actual dihedral as it appeared to change according to the viewer’s angle (in the end, it was only an optical effect).

Now about the missing tab. I think I made a spar from wire, added the dihedral and glued it to the 2 stabs. At least IIRC 😜

Cheers,

Quang

A2-AC2-F8-F-13-E3-4-FC8-85-C4-32-A401-C8

Thank you Quang,

This requires some precise drilling into the thin stabs and bending the wire to a correct angle. I may just glue the stabs at this early stage already. Misfired the drill twice already. 1. Trying to add the thin inlet to the top of the vertical stab. 2. Whilst drilling out the two fuel vents. All repaired again, but I think I will stay away from the drill for a while. 😉

Also to spare my finger tips which I drilled into twice.

DNZrXq1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback though.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rob K. said:

Misfired the drill twice already.

Before using the drill, you should make an indent with a scriber to mark the location of the hole.  That indent will serve as a guide for your drill.
That way, it will have less chance to slip.

HTH

Quang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, quangster said:

Before using the drill, you should make an indent with a scriber to mark the location of the hole.  That indent will serve as a guide for your drill.
That way, it will have less chance to slip.

HTH

Quang

Thanks. Yes, all copied and was executed accordingly. Then I lost  and embedded 2 broken drill bits which I had to free up. All and all not one of my brighter modelling efforts. It was a little messy, but I think repaired ok. 

Thanks Quang 👍

• Like 1

When you use drill bits, especially the very thin ones, do not use force ( nor push), rather let the bit lead you.
Also play with the variable speeds on your drill. Some speed is more suitable to certain kind of material. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, quangster said:

When you use drill bits, especially the very thin ones, do not use force ( nor push), rather let the bit lead you.
Also play with the variable speeds on your drill. Some speed is more suitable to certain kind of material. 

The answer is use a pin vise not a powered drill and mark the centre with a dimple as said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

Think I managed to get the starboard horizontal stabiliser attached securely with fast drying styrene cement and followed up with thin CA. Let the CA run by itself into the joints and gaps meanwhile hopefully strengthening the entire stabiliser construction. It feels sturdy enough.

Wanted to check on my repair work, so gave it a coat of Tamiya fine primer. Will have to do some re-scribing to bring back some detail that was sanded away. Perhaps a touch more smoothening out on the top joint where the vertical and horizontal stabs meet.

jNNaeQs.jpg

And made a tail light from some old clear sprue and sanded and buffed it with my wife’s nail buffing stick.

gRhq6eN.jpg

sd4G7Dh.jpg

3X5E9aV.jpg

SLnefbi.jpg

That’s all, thanks for watching and your comments and feedback thus far.

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 4

Hi,

Thought I might as well attach the tail to the main fuselage. This went ok, but there is a slight step between the two sections.

Filled and build up the gaps with CA filler mix and the used Scotch sanding sponges to further overcome the difference in height.

ZWkSvmh.jpg

Checked my work with some primer:

YvB8P78.jpg

Getting there, but some more work to be done in order to get a better transition.

Starboard side is a little better:

uP0R2Rz.jpg

That’s all, thanks for showing in interest,

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 5

On 30/06/2022 at 18:52, Rob K. said:

Paging @quangster and @Nikolay Polyakov with the question how you dealt with this?

An RF-101C and F-101B kits from Kitty Hawk has a missing locate tab on one horizontal stabiliser, but F-101A/C that I’ve built kit aren’t. The fit was excellent. Luckily, all the drawings show you the right angle and it’s not a problem to find a proper stabilisers’ position.

Excellent progress on the Voodoo, Rob! Thumbs up! 👍 The tail light looks superb.

51 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

An RF-101C and F-101B kits from Kitty Hawk has a missing locate tab on one horizontal stabiliser, but F-101A/C that I’ve built kit aren’t. The fit was excellent. Luckily, all the drawings show you the right angle and it’s not a problem to find a proper stabilisers’ position.

Excellent progress on the Voodoo, Rob! Thumbs up! 👍 The tail light looks superb.

Thanks Nikolay,

So far I like the kit besides a few issues here and there. I will have to pause the build for a while, because my regular work is calling and am tied up till October. So a little pause, but thanks for your help thus far.

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rob K. said:

So far I like the kit besides a few issues here and there.

Yes, it’s an excellent and lovely kit.

32 minutes ago, Rob K. said:

I will have to pause the build for a while, because my regular work is calling and am tied up till October. So a little pause, but thanks for your help thus far.

Please let us know when you’ll be ready! 😉

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi,

While I am waiting for things to dry and cure on my Spitfire build, I picked up the Voodoo again as well.

This time it is the cockpit’s turn and have started dressing it up with some Eduard after market items. It is not finished yet, the ejection seat still needs some panel liner and so do  parts of the cockpit tub. The hose is made from a piece of guitar string 🎼

Anyway, progress thus far:

YMexTKH.jpg

Hn1Ii7J.jpg

Seat not fixed yet to the tub:

volIeWq.jpg

The front instrument panel top cover needs some further work done to it since the edge is not smooth enough and will need to be painted black. The front instrument panel is also not permanently attached yet.

ffZgjrM.jpg

Some work to be done still, but this is the progress so far.

Thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Carrying on with work on the camera nose section.

I have opened up the camera windows and tried to construct a bulk head. Roughly took the contours from a piece of green stuff epoxy putty, which I then cut.

Traced the contours on some plastic card and then shaped the piece of card so it would fit.

Planning to use the CMK resin camera set for the Thunderflash to mount some cameras.

pVNnWZm.jpg

yjklTuf.jpg

dv35soE.jpg

That’s all, thanks for watching.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 5

Ah, there you are, don’t know how I’ve managed to miss this so far.

I built the Hasegawa RF 101C many years ago and wish that someone would do a decent ‘101 fighter in 1/48. I did toy with the idea of trying to convert a Kittyhawk RF 101 but was put off by the bad reviews and early build reports.

Going back to the beginning now to read it properly.

John. 🇺🇦

• Like 1

Hi,

Tried to find some way of incorporating the cameras and have some control over the final position exactly in front of the windows. This is what I came up with 🤔

I placed the cameras in long brackets:

tJoA2uC.jpg

Drilled some holes in the bulkhead to receive the brackets (with a lot of miss drilling):

MyjJTU4.jpg

The excess styrene strips on the rear end of the bulk head are used as small levers to position the cameras exactly in front of the window at the right distance. (At least that’s the theory)

Nn7Og2X.jpg

Once in position the cameras will be fixed in the bulkhead with some thin styrene cement or thin CA and the excess strips cut.

Bkpb8Ej.jpg

Then I hope to end up with something like this:

1173p1w.jpg

sUV39x5.jpg

The front facing camera should be a little more straight forward and a lens can be glued directly onto the front end.

MilPjmG.jpg

The cover can then be placed on top.

hMNUV6c.jpg

Fingers crossed it will all work out, but first the inside of the camera bay will be painted black. Will have a look at the camera colours with possibly a silver/chrome front ring of the lens housing so it stands out, with some black for the lens with either a drop of UV or future or similar to simulate the glass.

That’s all, thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob 

• Like 12

Hi,

Continued with some work on the Camera bay today.

made the effort to paint the camera bodies although they are not really visible.

Positioned the camera’s and fixed them permanently and cut off the excess plastic strips.

7gTbI75.jpg

This is what the cameras look like through the windows. 

CRwSQKt.jpg

POxp8u8.jpg

The bottom window still needs filler and then sanded to blend in after which I will polish it back to transparency.

jDtU8CL.jpg

The nose cone window was placed and the gaps filled with a CA mix and also sanded and polished. Will have to bring back some of the rivet detail around the window.

LA0MS34.jpg

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 8

Hi,

Attached the front camera and cover. The front camera cover does not fit outright.

It was reshaped, trying to maintain the flat side surfaces. I also revisited the area near the side windows since the earlier polishing had distorted the flatness somewhat.

Hopefully the shape of the nose is ok:

FNbOAt2.jpg

nhOVJ60.jpg

Thanks for watching,

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Don’t you just love it when a plan comes together?

Excellent work.

John. 🇺🇦

Hi John,

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised it worked.

Regards,

Rob 

Hi,

Continuing with attaching the various parts together. This progresses relatively quickly as I use quick setting glue and then reinforce it with thin CA cement mixed with gunmetal pigment so I can see where it flows. There is a lot of filling involved, but the filler is also built up layers of the CA mix since for now I am planning on a Metal finish. This excludes my usual (porous) fillers.

bsTMQxi.jpg

OSihiWG.jpg

HNZNfPW.jpg

jkPxUPA.jpg

pQpBeJ6.jpg

Now working on trying to blend the earlier sawn off and modified intakes back to the wing roots. This will be probably one of the more challenging parts of this build.

5C6IQpy.jpg

Hopefully I can show the result tomorrow.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 8

Hi,

Blended the intakes back into the wing. Hopefully the primer coat will tell if done so sufficiently.

RFOo7Ba.jpg

There is a lot of scribing to be done to restore all the lost panel and rivet detail.

By the way: Thanks to @billn53 for your comment above.

That’s all for the moment.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 6