RF-101C Voodoo 1/48. +++ Finished +++

Hi,

Managed to place the photo etch cockpit canopy latch ( or whatever the correct terminology is), without too much difficulty using gel CA:

hh0ACzO.jpg

Also placed the USAF and national insignia using decals from various  kits in order to avoid most of the Kittyhawk decals:

xAmzuUD.jpg

Hope to finish the decals tomorrow and seal everything with aqua gloss, ready for the Flory wash.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 5

Hi,

Managed to decal the entire model. In the process I found out that the previously painted red fuselage band was in the wrong place. Airbrushed the red stripe with chrome silver 2 and it is now a nice contrasting Color. Used some decals from a micro scale phantom sheet to create a new red fuselage band. 

Looked at some photographs trying to locate the correct position of stencils. For the nose I noticed the “do not paint sign” on the black section. Had a good look in the spare decal box using the magnifying glass of my lamp to identify this text and was lucky, again on a phantom sheet and incorporated those, although barely visible.

JUV5js9.jpg

The result so far and everything coated and sealed in aqua gloss.

ANK7JGm.jpg

7WdmKkr.jpg

a7a0NwF.jpg

HuTKFR9.jpg

Will apply a wash tomorrow and once dry and finished will dull down the black nose cone, anti glare panel and grey wing walkways. Also, the area around the exhaust will need further weathering, but will do this with the Tamiya weathering powder sets.

That’s all, thanks for watching,

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 7

Hi,

Applied the Flory wash, A mix of dark dirt (brown) and black:

utco2YH.jpg

Applied it twice and I hope the result shows:

yzbWxM9.jpg

It is quite subtle, but If compared to yesterday’s pictures, I think there is some difference in appearance.

VN3bdBg.jpg

I will have a look again in the morning and with daylight. If unsatisfactory I can try enamel or oil panel washes.

Thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob 

• Like 6

Hi,

Wasn’t quite satisfied with the depth of colour of the florywash, and repeated everything with Tamiya black panel liner. Normally I find this too stark, but In this case It was needed in my opinion.

Masked everything carefully and toned down the anti glare panel, nose cone and walkways with Alclad Matt varnish.

BiWGdDo.jpg

Had to remove the windshield as the inside had received some airbrush mist. After it was re-polished, it was glued back in place with Crystal Clear.

h2PSUeE.jpg

Weathered the tail area behind the exhausts. Tried to base it on a couple of photographs amongst which:

et7aWw3.jpg

Weathering done with Tamiya weathering sets. Might be a little overdone, but it is easily removed with a damp kitchen towel. Anyway, this is what I have so far:

BvZEXAu.jpg

0aH4Kk1.jpg

Also revisited the burner cans. Also with Tamiya weathering “make up” sets.

zB3XpRp.jpg

All the masking could come off at this stage and reveal the cameras once more.

wcx6Vkp.jpg

Yuys1m4.jpg

gL8Z6ae.jpg

Comments, advise, critique and feedback welcome as always.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 9

Little bit more progres. Attached the exhausts to the fuselage:

cSemhen.jpg

Also placed the flaps, but still have to find a solution to represent the actuators.

E0e6jO3.jpg

Quite some tidying  up to do at the underside:

SXGtkow.jpg

And finally resting on the landing gear:

R6FYmoW.jpg

83isJqH.jpg

fklX7K3.jpg

ax6RITQ.jpg

That’s all, thanks for watching.

Rgds

Rob

• Like 8

I realise that most if not all images show the flaps up and airbrakes closed when in parked and unmanned condition.

However, I really wanted to show these features off. Hence I have been playing with the idea of putting a figure in the driving seat. Bought these 1/48 figures from PJ productions. It doesn’t fit, therefore I am attempting to modify the pilot with the help of some “green stuff”.

XMtQ01E.jpg

This is sort of the idea:

FHK3vzq.jpg

Note: The ejection seat is still not glued into the cockpit. Oxygen hose is guitar string. Had to reshape the mask, as my drill bit snapped off in his mask 😷🙄

Thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob 

• Like 6

Hi,

Been busy with some finishing touches on the Voodoo.

Added the top fuselage light, which is not included in the kit. Got it from a mustang clear sprue.

I8U9jdG.jpg

Replaced the port and starboard wing tip lights which were previously sanded down. They are from a Spitfire kit, but adjusted in height. Glued on with crystal clear.

rRye5VV.jpg

P7erei2.jpg

Added some Eduard photo etch to the  canopy. It contained a grab handle, which once folded and with round sprue added, didn’t look quite right. Even though I couldn’t find said handle on any images, I made my own anyway from heat bended rod. It adds a little interest.

HzgXssP.jpg

Attached the airbrakes. I am noticing a little more touch up needed with the paint brush.

ZNEo191.jpg

Nearly at the finish line,

Thanks for watching,

Rgds 

Rob 

• Like 9

Just caught up with this spectacular build: super looking model and very inspiring! 

(Just haven't yet mustered up the courage to tackle those difficult camera windows as expertly as you or Quang have)

Tony

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She is looking great, Rob. I love your weathering around the back end :)

Martin

Thanks Martin 🙂

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

Just caught up with this spectacular build: super looking model and very inspiring! 

(Just haven't yet mustered up the courage to tackle those difficult camera windows as expertly as you or Quang have)

Tony

Thanks Tony,

Well the kit is quite modular to build. If would advise to start with the three challenges of this kit and first modify:

- The exhausts, which are fairly straight forward cuts (not required for the Taiwanese version)

- The engine air inlets (or accept the way they are)

- The Nose and camera bay windows: I sanded the window edges away, so I only had the panes left and glued and filled the edges step by step with thin CA. Window was slightly proud on the outside. Even had some glue spilled on them. Simply sanded it flush and then polished up the transparent part with Tamiya polishing compounds.

The rest is not too difficult and it is quite a nice kit to build. It was indeed good to have @quangster ‘s build as a guide.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I just couldn’t resist getting one of those as well from flightpath.

lhRZPCA.jpg

86HB7Iw.jpg

Just a shame the pilot is facing the other way….

Will use the VMS metal primer which I find quite useful. Plan to paint it yellow with grey rubber steps as advised in the building instructions.

zC0VExl.jpg

Just Awaiting a pitot tube in the mail before I can finish.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 2

Hi,

The Voodoo is pretty much done and these are the last WIP images.

I am waiting for a metal pitot tube to arrive by mail and still quite haven’t figured out if or how to add more flap detail by means of actuators and I will probably tinker with it every now and then.

When completely finished to my satisfaction I will follow up with some images in the ready for inspection section of B.M. 

The result:

28VCCIC.jpg

4x5kKvQ.jpg

8R3MCQ0.jpg

eDycC8M.jpg

LpsF0uk.jpg

U1jo0Vv.jpg

S0Rscrb.jpg

KRlT3Ud.jpg

wyvCB7z.jpg

sfskW25.jpg

0nx1a5H.jpg

Thanks to all who followed this build and thank you for your feedback, likes, critiques, help and comments along the way.

Rgds,

Rob 

• Like 13

• Rob K. changed the title to RF-101C Voodoo 1/48. +++ Finished +++