Jump to content

Revell HMS Bounty.


Recommended Posts

Hi folk's,it didn't take long to find a replacement sailing ship in the form of Revel's Bounty,found The Works selling them for a paultry £12

and free postage,a no brainer really.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why did you have to make me look :cry:

It was only a tenner, but they had Scharnhorst as well......

They do click & collect so I might just be able to sneak them past SWMBO

 

 

Edited by psdavidson
strange spaces in the ether
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Revell Bounty was the subject of a superb 3-part article in Scale Models magazine back in the very late 1970s. The author was, if I remember correctly, John Tilley. It was one of those articles that regularly turned up in Scale Models that was worth reading even if you weren't that interested in the subject, just to appreciate the quality of the author's work. 

Might be worth trying to track down, even if you're not planning the number of changes that he incorporated. 

John 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, John said:

The Revell Bounty was the subject of a superb 3-part article in Scale Models magazine back in the very late 1970s. The author was, if I remember correctly, John Tilley. It was one of those articles that regularly turned up in Scale Models that was worth reading even if you weren't that interested in the subject, just to appreciate the quality of the author's work. 

Might be worth trying to track down, even if you're not planning the number of changes that he incorporated. 

Jan, Feb, and March of 1979, and it is John Tilley's work - a magnificent build. If you need some scans, lmk. :pirate:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi folk's kit was waiting for me when I got in from work,for twelve quid including postage I'm really happy with this one.

20220628_152832

 

Cleaned up the hull sides and deck.nice size she is and with care should paint up well.

20220628_155350

 

  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm glad you got sorted so quickly Steve.  A very different hull shape to the Cutty Sark!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/06/2022 at 06:53, CliffB said:

I'm glad you got sorted so quickly Steve.  A very different hull shape to the Cutty Sark!

Actually a lot happier with this one Cliff,easier on the old eyes size wise!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi folk's,last few days progress,after priming the hull and deck I moved onto the painting of the deck and fittings.Glossed and ran a wash into the hatches etc.

once I fit the hull permanantly she'll get a matt coat.

20220703_200547

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Morning folk's,last couple of days progress has been the starting of the Hull painting about half way through now.

20220707_105523

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gidday Steve, she doesn't have the graceful lines of a schooner or clipper but when one considers her mission she seems very suitable. This looks a very neat build. Regards, Jeff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Steve, she doesn't have the graceful lines of a schooner or clipper but when one considers her mission she seems very suitable. This looks a very neat build. Regards, Jeff.

Many thank's Geoff,reading her history she was originally a collier so quite a jump to a Royal Navy vessel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Evening folk's,got the rest of the hull painted and tidied up so before a weeks break for a little seaside holiday progressed to this point today.

IMG-20220710-WA0001

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 5:26 PM, Jinxman said:

Jan, Feb, and March of 1979, and it is John Tilley's work - a magnificent build. If you need some scans, lmk. :pirate:

I’d love to get a copy of that- I’ve always admired his work.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Very smart.

 

Will you be weathering?

Not sure Bertie,if I fit the sails yes but I always like to see these models rigged without sails.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Not sure Bertie,if I fit the sails yes but I always like to see these models rigged without sails.

 

Sails are so difficult to do convincingly. :shrug: I'm fond of the bare pole look myself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 3:31 AM, stevej60 said:

Not sure Bertie,if I fit the sails yes but I always like to see these models rigged without sails.

It is very hard to do convincing sails, esp. in small scales.   I especially dislike the vac formed sails - the are ridiculous, IMHO.  The problem with them is that all the raised detail on the front side is recessed on the back.  

 

If you go bare poles, will you include any running rigging?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

If you go bare poles, will you include any running rigging?  

Not sure Bill,I'm not really a Maritime modeller so not up on the fixtures and fitting's in fact I've only ever built the HMS Victory way back in the seventies

from Airfix!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The stays and shrouds  are the permanent lines that hold the masts in place- they were tarred for protection from the elements, and are usually done with black thread.  The running rigging are the lines that are used to set and control the sails, and are not tarred.  

I’d suggest doing the braces, at least- the lines that are attached to the ends of the yardarms, used to set the angle of the yard to the ship’s centerline.

 

Here’s a link to an article I wrote back in 2003 about building and rigging a plastic sailing ship…it might be of help….  (if not, just print it out and use it to line the birdcage or train a puppy!)

 

https://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/michaelsclipper.htm

 

-Bill

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

Here’s a link to an article I wrote back in 2003 about building and rigging a plastic sailing ship…it might be of help….  (if not, just print it out and use it to line the birdcage or train a puppy!)

 

https://modelingmadness.com/review/misc/michaelsclipper.htm

Simultaneously (other spellings are available) inspired and intimidated by this article. Oh. My. Days! That a beauty, and a Revell, so eligible for this GB to boot! Thanks for sharing

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One possible if perhaps a little dangerous tip about rigging if using normal thread as against the elastic or nylon type, When I built my old Airfix large scale ships such as Victory I sometimes ended up with one or two lengths of cotton rigging that were a bit slack - wetting them with water (slightly warm may be best) results in them shrinking but be warned - if the resultant stress is excessive/uneven then it can bend the plastic masts/yards and also perhaps make other threads go slack. The more you spray them the more they are likely to shrink so a little at a time is best.

 

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...