1/48 Corsair II, 1836 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1945. Finished 16/08.

DaveJL

So after looking at a lot of materials again (slow day in work :lol:) I have decided that the underside colour is a little too blue. So I devised a cunning plan, carefully masking up decals and so on, before misting over a light coat of 'British' sky. I think it looks much more like the correct shade now, less blue:

52279461235_964fe8948e_b.jpg

One in natural light:

52277999197_c26f043683_b.jpg

I then sealed in the decals with another coat of gloss. Ready now for a panel line was and weathering.

52278998528_85ae71e60a_b.jpg

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 11

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Corsair II, 1836 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1945. Update 11/08.
45 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

I think it looks much more like the correct shade now, less blue:

indeed,  as I said, or tried too,  ANA 610 Sky from the chip in the Elliot USN/USMC colors compared with RAF Museum Sky chip is slightly paler and greyer,  and this seems to have that compared to the underwing roundel paint out.  Very neat repaint there Dave! 

:goodjob:

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

indeed,  as I said, or tried too,  ANA 610 Sky from the chip in the Elliot USN/USMC colors compared with RAF Museum Sky chip is slightly paler and greyer,  and this seems to have that compared to the underwing roundel paint out.  Very neat repaint there Dave! 

:goodjob:

Thanks Troy, it's still not 100% but I'm glad I went over the initial colour. The painted out roundel is a couple of coats of RAF/FAA Sky so the contrast is there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, coneheadff said:

I have no idea which colour is the correct one, but I like the 'British' Sky more 😁

Which paint...I guess MRP...did you use?

Yes mate, MRP. They spray so well it’s hard to look past them!

• Like 1

Good progress over the weekend. Panel wash went on with the excess removed after an hour or so. Then on with a flat coat and a mixture of Abteilung oils. Once all that was set, I popped on the undercarriage, fuel tank, propellor and removed the masking. I wanted a fairly grubby looking machine so I'm quite happy with how it has turned out:

52285428503_f564143121_b.jpg

52285425421_60a47ca2e6_b.jpg

52284446182_0c29beaac3_b.jpg

52285428828_e7c41cabc8_b.jpg

52285692219_88ea68e81b_b.jpg

I also added the last two FAA modifications, although they are hard to make out! Additional light on the upper starboard wing and a whip antenna behind the cockpit. There was a bit of discussion as to whether JT410 had this antenna fitted, but I thought it looked pretty good, so added it anyway.

Light, made from a drop of PVA applied with a toothpick:

52285711494_ec27a482da_b.jpg

Antenna, made from some wire off a wine bottle (the content of which was delicious, a 2015 Bordeaux 😋)

52285444511_55b869a802_b.jpg

Just need to rustle up some gun port covers and finish off the canopy.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 10

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Corsair II, 1836 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1945. Update 14/08.
3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looking good Ive used wire myself before but sometimes I also use fine polymer fishing line for antenna’s like this

Thanks Dennis! I've more wine bottles than fishing line (not sure if that's good or bad!) so made sense to use some of it up :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks Dennis! I've more wine bottles than fishing line (not sure if that's good or bad!) so made sense to use some of it up :lol:

As a way of spending time, I’ve always found drinking wine to be far more enjoyable than fishing, so definitely a good thing!🍷

AW

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andwil said:

As a way of spending time, I’ve always found drinking wine to be far more enjoyable than fishing, so definitely a good thing!🍷

AW

Same with me mate!

4 hours ago, 81-er said:

Nice work on the weathering, Dave, she's looking very realistic now

James

Thanks James, I'm quite pleased with how it's looking!

35 minutes ago, zebra said:

Looking very good indeed. The weathering is very effective and looks very realistic.

Thanks mate!

I managed to get this finished this morning. I rustled up some gun covers from Tamiya tape (ended up going with red :lol:) and popped on the canopy.

52290205385_1f6998ff64_b.jpg

52289984874_fdf2c06221_b.jpg

52290206155_f2b08cb093_b.jpg

More pictures in RFI.

As you'll know, the FAA Corsairs had a few modifications. I've no doubt I've missed a few but below are the modifications I made with the help of many reference threads and input from members:

52290211465_035f630de4_b.jpg

52288751332_f700546757_b.jpg

Really enjoyed this one and my interest in the BPF has been ignited by reading a number of books and references while working on this build. I've duly added an Avenger and Firefly to my stash :lol:. As always, thanks to all who commented/followed the build and a shout out to @Corsairfoxfouruncle, @JackG, @Grey Beema and @Troy Smith for their assistance with details, colours and plenty more besides!

Cheers ands stay safe

Dave

• Like 17

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Corsair II, 1836 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1945. Finished 16/08.

Looks fantastic, great job! It's no doubt a well worn path, converting a US F4U into a FAA corsair, but that doesn't mean it isn't still a bit hit and miss scratching around forum threads for all the various modifications necessary. So as someone who has vaguely been thinking about it for some speculative build in the distant future, I say thanks very much for summing it all up in those two pictures!

Andy

• 6 months later...