1/48 Corsair II, 1836 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1945. Finished 16/08.

DaveJL

Been a busy week just past at work but managed a couple of hours a day at this over the weekend. Undersides were sprayed and masked up followed by the grey, which was then masked off with blu-tack rolls and tape. 

52271761061_5f46d33ee8_b.jpg

The Olive Drab followed and once dry, I removed all the masking. Added some chipping at the wing roots, leading edges and cockpit sills and here we are:

52272253725_7fb212acce_b.jpg

52270796552_45c47ea314_b.jpg

52272254395_53ff56bf9c_b.jpg

Prior to spraying the main colours, I'd sprayed on and masked off the larger roundel areas - Dark Slate Grey for the fuselage and British Sky for the undersides of the wings. No idea if the roundel size is right, but I think it looks good going on some photos that I've seen!

52271782943_d0b54efb04_b.jpg

52271783568_97af681ca0_b.jpg

52272253975_3613edd6a5_b.jpg

Getting the colours as close to the correct shade as possible was something I was conscious about from the start and after looking at all the information, pictures and so on, I think it came out pretty good!

52271761516_40ffe2de36_b.jpg

A few bits to add tomorrow then I'm hoping to get a coat of gloss on.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 9

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Corsair II, 1836 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1945. Update 08/08.

Final details added and few coats of gloss now on.

52274686551_8f2400bfc7_b.jpg

52273713397_1ae1da259d_b.jpg

52274948294_1a93bd5200_b.jpg

I found some information that @Grey Beema posted on another thread, so thought I'd post it here;

Sheppard flew this aircraft to 4 victories -

04.01.45 0850 & 0900 2*Ki43 Oscar Destroyed. Operation Millet I

24.01.45 0825 Ki44 Tojo Destroyed.  Operation Meridian I

29.01.45 Ki43 Oscar Shared Destroyed.  Operation Meridian II

Would anyone be able to tell me if the FAA Corsairs all had gun port covers fitted and if so what colour? I have seen images, albeit in black and white, with covers fitted on the muzzle openings, some with tape (?) over the shell ejection ports, some with both, some with neither!

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 4

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Corsair II, 1836 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1945. Update 09/08.

This is my model of the aircraft Don Sheppard flew  for his last victory..

51983675473_dd142a0f3a_o.jpg

A later photo (post Mar '45) but there appears to be gun patches.  I would guess Red but I have seen white in photos.  You can see under the wing but sometimes the ejector chutes were taped over too...

Also note the ammunition boxes are mixed around on the port wing and if I'm not mistaken the BPF roundel doesn't quite cover the original roundel?

40571709382_8247b5320a_o.jpg

Edited by Grey Beema
After thought and keyboard operator malfunction
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

This is my model of the aircraft Don Sheppard flew  for his last victory..

51983675473_dd142a0f3a_o.jpg

A later photo (post Mar '45) but there appears to be white gun patches.  You can see under the wing but sometimes the ejector chutes were taped over too...

40571709382_8247b5320a_o.jpg

Lovely model mate, thanks for sharing! White would look different to the usual red!

This one might be helpful..

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs AT HMS RAJALYIA, ROYAL NAVAL AIR STATION IN PUTTALAM, CEYLON. FEBRUARY 1945, ACTIVITIES AND PERSONNEL AT THE STATION.. © IWM (A 28063) IWM Non Commercial License

I think the gun port tape has been stripped off.  Also look under the wings at the ejector slots..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

This one might be helpful..

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs AT HMS RAJALYIA, ROYAL NAVAL AIR STATION IN PUTTALAM, CEYLON. FEBRUARY 1945, ACTIVITIES AND PERSONNEL AT THE STATION.. © IWM (A 28063) IWM Non Commercial License

I think the gun port tape has been stripped off.  Also look under the wings at the ejector slots..

Cheers! Was there any hard and fast rule as to what was taped over and where? I've seen lots of carrier images with exposed ejector ports.

43 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

I would understand that procedure on the islands to avoid dirt build-up in the openings, but not on carriers.

That makes sense, unless on the carriers it was to prevent salt water ingress. Though I don't recall seeing any images of the Hellcat having it's ejection ports covered when I was researching my build.

10 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

That makes sense, unless on the carriers it was to prevent salt water ingress. Though I don't recall seeing any images of the Hellcat having it's ejection ports covered when I was researching my build.

Exactly and not on the Seafires or Sea Hurricanes either 

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

mid_000000.jpg?action=e&cat=Photographs CLEARING THE CRASH ON A BRITISH CARRIER. MAY 1945, ON BOARD THE CARRIER HMS KHEDIVE, SERVING IN EASTERN WATERS, AFTER ONE OF HER HELLCAT FIGHTERS (OF 808 SQUADRON) HAD MISSED THE ARRESTER WIRE AND CRASHED ON ITS BACK ON THE FLIGHT DECK.. © IWM (A 28933) IWM Non Commercial License

• Thanks 1

To be fair, I only quickly looked on the IWM site for these pictures.  I think though patching gun ports seems pretty common, patching of the ejector chutes seems less so.  

I know a bit more about Hellcats than Corsairs (my distant cousin was quite handy in one) and have seen pictures of Hellcats with ejector slots with torn patches on the chutes, I just can’t remember in which book..

Just remember-  

“There is an exception to every rule”.  Which means somewhere there is a rule that is an exception to that rule and has no exceptions..

12 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

To be fair, I only quickly looked on the IWM site for these pictures.  I think though patching gun ports seems pretty common, patching of the ejector chutes seems less so.  

I know a bit more about Hellcats than Corsairs (my distant cousin was quite handy in one) and have seen pictures of Hellcats with ejector slots with torn patches on the chutes, I just can’t remember in which book..

Just remember-  

“There is an exception to every rule”.  Which means somewhere there is a rule that is an exception to that rule and has no exceptions..

Thanks mate, I'll maybe have to tap into your knowledge on Hellcats as I plan to build JZ935 of 1839 NAS during April 1945 as I think the all blue will compliment the camouflaged JX814 that I built last year, although I don't think FAA Hellcats are anywhere near as much of a minefield as the Corsairs! I've also picked up an Italeri (Accurate Miniatures) Avenger and Special Hobby Firefly to add to my BPF fleet.

Back to the Corsair, decals went on this evening. I was torn about which roundels to use, but in the end I went for small on the underside of the wings and fuselage.

52276052327_5f98d79178_b.jpg

52277048223_2c39779aeb_b.jpg

52277027491_bfb3f8cf38_b.jpg

52277027121_6243861b8d_b.jpg

A bit of artistic licence here as I'm not really sure what roundels JT410 would have had, but looking at @JackG's thread, I'm happy with the smaller roundels. Note I've popped on the lovely Ultracast exhausts too. I was also able to pinch a 'guns loaded' decal from Eduard's must recent Spitfire Vc kit:

52277510020_488eb6438a_b.jpg

A nice touch!

Hoping to get a panel wash on over the next couple of nights and then get some oils and weathering added on Sunday.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

• Like 11

• DaveJL changed the title to 1/48 Corsair II, 1836 NAS, HMS Victorious, 1945. Update 10/08.
On 08/08/2022 at 14:39, DaveJL said:

52271761516_40ffe2de36_b.jpg

I note the underside paint is FS35622 

AFAIK, while the upper 'equivalent' colours were ANA 603 Sea Gray and ANA 613 Olive Drab, the undersides were ANA 610 Sky quoted as FS 34424 , 

which is slightly greyer and paler than MAP Sky 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064508-undercarriage-bats-and-legs-colour-of-corsairs-in-faa-service/

FS35622 is light blue, used later as the underside blue by US types in the Israeli Airforce (A-4 for example)  and also quoted as close match for  DuPont Sky Type S Grey 71-021 - A very Pale Blue with Greenish Tinge  which is possibly where the confusion started.

DuPont_71-021-2(2).png

The DuPont colors were made pre Lend Lease, when aircraft were being bought by the British, and paid for,  so were painted in MAP specified colours, thought similar, were not the same MAP colours.

Later the British compromised to use US ANA colors,   though ANA 610 Sky was only for planes destined for the British. 

see

Hope of interest, I only know this from trying to work out what early RAF contract P-40's were painted in, and the info about the FAA Corsairs from way too much time on here...  

Neat work on the Corsair, looks good. 

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I note the underside paint is FS35622 

AFAIK, while the upper 'equivalent' colours were ANA 603 Sea Gray and ANA 613 Olive Drab, the undersides were ANA 610 Sky quoted as FS 34424 , 

which is slightly greyer and paler than MAP Sky 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064508-undercarriage-bats-and-legs-colour-of-corsairs-in-faa-service/

FS35622 is light blue, used later as the underside blue by US types in the Israeli Airforce (A-4 for example)  and also quoted as close match for  DuPont Sky Type S Grey 71-021 - A very Pale Blue with Greenish Tinge  which is possibly where the confusion started.

DuPont_71-021-2(2).png

The DuPont colors were made pre Lend Lease, when aircraft were being bought by the British, and paid for,  so were painted in MAP specified colours, thought similar, were not the same MAP colours.

Later the British compromised to use US ANA colors,   though ANA 610 Sky was only for planes destined for the British. 

see

Hope of interest, I only know this from trying to work out what early RAF contract P-40's were painted in, and the info about the FAA Corsairs from way too much time on here...  

Neat work on the Corsair, looks good. 

Thanks Troy.

I’ve found the colours to be a bit of a minefield! I based the lower colour on this thread:

I did however think it was a bit too blue when I sprayed it but figured who was I to argue! I might mask up the decals and see if I can give the blue a light overspray with regular sky which might take the hue out of it. Will practice on the undercarriage doors and fuel tank to see if it works.

14 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks mate, I'll maybe have to tap into your knowledge on Hellcats as I plan to build JZ935 of 1839 NAS during April 1945 as I think the all blue will compliment the camouflaged JX814 that I built last year, although I don't think FAA Hellcats are anywhere near as much of a minefield as the Corsairs! I've also picked up an Italeri (Accurate Miniatures) Avenger and Special Hobby Firefly to add to my BPF fleet.

Back to the Corsair, decals went on this evening. I was torn about which roundels to use, but in the end I went for small on the underside of the wings and fuselage.

52276052327_5f98d79178_b.jpg

52277048223_2c39779aeb_b.jpg

52277027491_bfb3f8cf38_b.jpg

52277027121_6243861b8d_b.jpg

A bit of artistic licence here as I'm not really sure what roundels JT410 would have had, but looking at @JackG's thread, I'm happy with the smaller roundels. Note I've popped on the lovely Ultracast exhausts too. I was also able to pinch a 'guns loaded' decal from Eduard's must recent Spitfire Vc kit:

52277510020_488eb6438a_b.jpg

A nice touch!

Hoping to get a panel wash on over the next couple of nights and then get some oils and weathering added on Sunday.

More soon and stay safe

Dave

This is looking good. The placement of codes on 1836 squadron Corsairs is a bit of a puzzle. Certainly for a period they were coded T8x in the manner you depict on the starboard side (T8 roundel H). However, this was changed to T roundel 8H before BPF fleet numbers were applied (the BPF roundels are in place in the photo I have), so probably Leyte Gulf in March 1945.  This T roundel 8x code arrangement is visible on 8F and 8H, plus two others where the individual letter is not clear. The codes look like a mixture of Sky and white, as on some aircraft they are significantly darker than the white of the roundel, while on others they seem the same as the white in the BPF roundel.

When the change in placement occurred precisely I don't know, but in August 1944, the codes were definitely 8-x either side of the roundel. This changed to T8-x, (probably prior to Meridian I and II), and then to T-8x prior to BPF numbers being applied. 

IG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iang said:

This is looking good. The placement of codes on 1836 squadron Corsairs is a bit of a puzzle. Certainly for a period they were coded T8x in the manner you depict on the starboard side (T8 roundel H). However, this was changed to T roundel 8H before BPF fleet numbers were applied (the BPF roundels are in place in the photo I have), so probably Leyte Gulf in March 1945.  This T roundel 8x code arrangement is visible on 8F and 8H, plus two others where the individual letter is not clear. The codes look like a mixture of Sky and white, as on some aircraft they are significantly darker than the white of the roundel, while on others they seem the same as the white in the BPF roundel.

When the change in placement occurred precisely I don't know, but in August 1944, the codes were definitely 8-x either side of the roundel. This changed to T8-x, (probably prior to Meridian I and II), and then to T-8x prior to BPF numbers being applied. 

IG

Thanks Ian! The wealth of knowledge on the BPF and Corsairs on this forum is fantastic!

I think I read it right, but early ‘45 for Meridian strikes, the codes as I’ve depicted are correct?

13 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks Ian! The wealth of knowledge on the BPF and Corsairs on this forum is fantastic!

I think I read it right, but early ‘45 for Meridian strikes, the codes as I’ve depicted are correct?

I think so, but I'd like to see some datable photographic evidence to be sure.

1 hour ago, iang said:

I think so, but I'd like to see some datable photographic evidence to be sure.

Phew, I’m happy with that!

HMS_Smiter_Okinawa_1945.jpg

Not sure of the timeframe of this one but gives an idea.

51 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Phew, I’m happy with that!

HMS_Smiter_Okinawa_1945.jpg

Not sure of the timeframe of this one but gives an idea.

I think that is JT419.

For this aircraft, Sturtivant et al give: 'bounced over wires on Striker, Cat Z 21.2.45'.  Previously the aircraft had been damaged by a bird strike at Colombo  on 29.10.44 and was probably no longer of 1836 charge when this photo was taken. It does indicate, however, that  8-x codes had been replaced by T8-x codes by late October, but it still leaves open the question of the code arrangement for Meridian. 

According to the Combat Reports I have, for Operation  Meridian, 1836 T8G was JT413, and did not sustain any damage.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, iang said:

I think that is JT419.

For this aircraft, Sturtivant et al give: 'bounced over wires on Striker, Cat Z 21.2.45'.  Previously the aircraft had been damaged by a bird strike at Colombo  on 29.10.44 and was probably no longer of 1836 charge when this photo was taken. It does indicate, however, that  8-x codes had been replaced by T8-x codes by late October, but it still leaves open the question of the code arrangement for Meridian. 

According to the Combat Reports I have, for Operation  Meridian, 1836 T8G was JT413, and did not sustain any damage.

Thanks Ian. As long as I know the codes as I’ve placed them were correct at some stage, I’m happy!

• Like 1