Mk.4b CF.100 All weather fighter

Corsairfoxfouruncle

This is a place holder for my build. The Hobbycraft 1/72 CF.100 Mk.4B fighter. This particular one will wear the markings of 440 Squadron. I will post photos and such as soon as I can. @Robin-42 may be interested ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

Excellent choice Dennis, the Canuck is one of the subjects I was really hoping to see in the GB. I've been fascinated by the CF-100 ever since I was given an Aircraft Illustrated annual in about 1982 which had an article about their retirement - and it's amazing that it carried on that long - I can even remember the headline, 'Defunct Clunk'!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zebra said:

Excellent choice Dennis, the Canuck is one of the subjects I was really hoping to see in the GB. I've been fascinated by the CF-100 ever since I was given an Aircraft Illustrated annual in about 1982 which had an article about their retirement - and it's amazing that it carried on that long - I can even remember the headline, 'Defunct Clunk'!

Its one of my favorites as well, I was lucky enough to find a kit earlier this year and grabbed it. 

• Like 1

Definitely!  I might jump in to the group build with a different subject. I have turned out some almost useful 3D parts for it. Once they are actually useful, you guys will be the first to know. In the meantime, post any questions. I have all the CF100 books out there. 

• Like 3

The Clunk!

I did so many of these when I was a kid.  Really regret not buying up these and the arrows in 1/48 scale but who would have think how pricey they’d become.

Always had some warpage on the wings but I’m sure you’ll fix all that up!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Beazer said:

The Clunk!

I did so many of these when I was a kid.  Really regret not buying up these and the arrows in 1/48 scale but who would have think how pricey they’d become.

Always had some warpage on the wings but I’m sure you’ll fix all that up!

Id like to find an arrow or two, Id have to do them in Whif schemes though. The prototype would be fine for one, but I think a line jet would be nice as well. 

1 hour ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Was thinking of buying one of these today until I saw how much I would be paying for one.

Still tempting, could build a Belgian Air Force example.

Martin 

You should if you can get it at a decent price. My only recommendation is to find something or buy this set. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/flightline-engineering-cf-100-canuck-super-update-set--1336901

The interior is the only let down in the kit. 

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You should if you can get it at a decent price. My only recommendation is to find something or buy this set. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/flightline-engineering-cf-100-canuck-super-update-set--1336901

The interior is the only let down in the kit. 

Well I've just made an offer on one on ebay, not sure where I'd find that update set though. Edit that, just found their website.

Have you used that detail set then?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Well I've just made an offer on one on ebay, not sure where I'd find that update set though. Edit that, just found their website.

Have you used that detail set then?

Sadly no Its well outside my budget but I would if I could. Im looking for something more along the lines of a T-33 or F-94 etch set myself. Not correct but enough to busy up the cockpit. If I cant then I plan on scratch building whatever I need. Please accept my apologies if it seemed like I was telling you to buy it. I was just attempting to point out that the weakest part of the kit is the cockpit. It really does need some attention, as the kits pilots are about 3.5 or 4 feet tall in scale. 

• Like 1

The Obscureco set has wheels that match the kit that are not quite right. But it does have nice seats  cockpit tub and intake fans 

• Like 1

I had 2 of the 1/48 kits many years ago, I started to build one and got it as far as the painting stage, sadly I couldn't get the NMF to look as I wanted it to, (in part due to the trench like panel lines), so scrapped the one kit, and sold the other one on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sadly no Its well outside my budget but I would if I could. Im looking for something more along the lines of a T-33 or F-94 etch set myself. Not correct but enough to busy up the cockpit. If I cant then I plan on scratch building whatever I need. Please accept my apologies if it seemed like I was telling you to buy it. I was just attempting to point out that the weakest part of the kit is the cockpit. It really does need some attention, as the kits pilots are about 3.5 or 4 feet tall in scale. 

That's fine, just seeing your kit got me wanting one! Was declined an offer of £35 on eBay. Seems most sellers want a minimum of £40 for one. If I do find one for a reasonable price I'd more likely do some scratch adjustments like yourself & looking in my spares box I found a detailed cockpit twin tub that looks very much like the CF-100 that can be fettled a bit (can't remember what it was from). Also got some nice Modeldecal Belgian markings to use.

I'll keep watch on your build.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 11:51 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Back then, tall Canadians worked in the bush or for the mounties, short ones joined the air force. :)

• Haha 3

On 7/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, Lightningboy2000 said:

That's fine, just seeing your kit got me wanting one! Was declined an offer of £35 on eBay. Seems most sellers want a minimum of £40 for one. If I do find one for a reasonable price I'd more likely do some scratch adjustments like yourself & looking in my spares box I found a detailed cockpit twin tub that looks very much like the CF-100 that can be fettled a bit (can't remember what it was from). Also got some nice Modeldecal Belgian markings to use.

I'll keep watch on your build.

Keep looking, they come around for a decent price sometimes. Usually in a neighbors attic.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 9:18 PM, Robin-42 said:

Definitely!  I might jump in to the group build with a different subject. I have turned out some almost useful 3D parts for it. Once they are actually useful, you guys will be the first to know. In the meantime, post any questions. I have all the CF100 books out there. 

I definitely want some decent parts. I have the obsecuro set which isn't bad but needs better wheels. I was going to use early F-4B main wheels, they are very close, just a couple spokes short. Would like an early mk 3 nose to.

2 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Would like an early mk 3 nose to

Wouldn't mind an early one myself, there is a very good looking early demonstrator in what appears to be in overall gloss black. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-100_Canuck#/media/File%3ACF-100_Prototype_18102.jpg

21 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wouldn't mind an early one myself, there is a very good looking early demonstrator in what appears to be in overall gloss black. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-100_Canuck#/media/File%3ACF-100_Prototype_18102.jpg

Both 18101 & 18102 were overall black, with a couple small differences.

Tony

ps. Anyone looking for 1/72 parts to make an early CF-100, PM me.

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It is gloss black. Here's a link to Silver hawk author, https://www.silverhawkauthor.com/post/canadian-warplanes-6-jets-avro-cf-100-canuck

He has great history and pictures on most of the fleet as well as anything used in the Canadian military ground and air.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone … Well I was able to finally get a start on this tonight. I built up the fuselage and have it finished. 3jEVuR1.jpg

Zc9dRwm.jpg

There was a tiny gap behind the rear seater’s position and a piece of plastic card fixed it. JXMAIuY.jpg

Next up I used a bit of plastic strip to create mounting tabs to help hold this together. PgsHgOR.jpg

The cockpit has its first coat if black, bit if the “Blackhole effect” here. Still need to add a bit of color to the bang seats later today or Friday. NEwDrZD.jpg

The biggest downfall on the kit is the droopy tail. Its a mold issue so  bit of sanding and fiddling and it aligns better now. yQdVUM0.jpg

MI3tFp7.jpg

vUsjsQi.jpg

Though there will be a good bit of sanding and finishing around the mid-fuselage join as its a bit bigger behind the join vs the area ahead of. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 12