HK Models 1/32 Lancaster (Nose Section) Project Abandoned, Photos lost.

Bertie McBoatface

After a great deal of debate with myself about starting another big kit while fully engaged with another other one I came to the sober conclusion, "Yahoo! Go for it! Who needs to sleep anyway!" So here we go with a kit that I bought last year with the Big 'n' British GB in mind but which is more than Canadian enough to fit right in here.

y4m8h-06KjF46Supx_Qq1CHfsBVFRuelPqdMRXYX

Actually that's not the particular scheme I'll be doing. There's a RCAF option on the decal sheet with a saucy lady's picture to liven up the long summer evenings.

y4mI7MzMvXaDbPaIP1kvAsogf4G5JHkH52q9Gnj8

I cracked the box open and found it was stuffed full of aftermarket stuff that I have no memory of buying, which is a bit scary but probably normal at my age. I won't go into detail unless I use them

y4mUl4uWs67S7wrOMfklCsi0fiAb42m6A0Evre34

This gives you an idea of the size of this thing. It's about the equivalent of a 1/35 AFV but with a lot less detail. 

y4mcCWI1lQZkYiMzQ-3ZOkC_4UO8JzVbc1grTdGw

And that's an advertising shot of the thing. Pretty nice eh? I think I might paint mine though...

• Like 15

Hey Bertie, welcome to the GB and that's a mighty fine specimen you have there! Big scale big stuff, what's not to like! I'll be watching this one for sure!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Hey Bertie, welcome to the GB and that's a mighty fine specimen you have there! Big scale big stuff, what's not to like! I'll be watching this one for sure!

Welcome aboard. Remember me saying the Tamiya Phantom was going to be my last aircraft model? Well, it's still true. This is only 1/6 part of an aircraft; the most interesting part. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

A bitesize bit of a Lanc, nice

:popcorn:

A couple of month's worth.

It's been decades since I did a large scale aircraft, or even a piece of one. I feel like I don't have a clue, which should make things interesting. Same-ish scale as a tank though, so it can't be all that hard, can it?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, zebra said:

This will be interesting. And a bit different. I think this is going to be a beauty.

I’m not sure about that. I used to be good at cockpit work but I haven’t really cracked it for ages and never in this scale. I’ll do my best though. 

• Like 1

y4mK8lwJNCEzmWPsukwzoXbPSmoyCi_2Nqz6LnyG

F/L J. F. Thomas and the crew of Avro Lancaster Bomber B Mk.I ‘Victorious Virgin’ RF128 QB-V of RCAF 424 Squadron “Tiger” Squadron on the 21st of March 1945. (probably taken at the Skipton-on-Swale, North Yorkshire airfield)

Da Boyz!

• Like 2

Hi Bertie. Really looking forward to see what you do with this very interesting looking kit. I always fancied building a similar sort of idea kit. Nice choice.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Bertie. Really looking forward to see what you do with this very interesting looking kit. I always fancied building a similar sort of idea kit. Nice choice.

Kind regards,

Stix

No pressure then. 😆 

Now how can I make it mine?

Diorama?  👎 Without the rest of the aircraft it would have to be a crash or a factory assembly but neither fit the decals and without them, it's not Canadian.

Use the clear plastic side piece? 👎 Looks naff.

Cutaway ? 👎 Done one too recently.

Mounted on a plaque so it's coming through the wall? 👎

Slice it in two lengthways? Cut horizontally - a Lancaster Convertible? 👎

Slice it in two lengthways? Cut vertically like an opened book? 😏 Hmmm.

Hinged? 🤔 No. Better on a split and hinged trolley. 😄

Extreme access for wiring up the instrument panel etc? 💡

Sawing the canopy in two would be a fun thing to do. 😱

Stbd side would be a bit boring, mostly walkway innit? 🥱

Can't fink of owt better. :shrug:

Decided then. 

👍

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Ah, another completely unhinged (pun intended) Bertie build. This should be good!

James

I'm afraid it's far from good.

I opened the plastic bags and had a look at the mouldings this morning. After doing MiniArt or even Tamiya kits, the lack of detail, the lack of pieces is a disgrace. There are 162 parts, not all of which are used (there's a rear turret moulding for example). That's 50 pence per piece. It could be painted and assembled in three evenings.

Think 1970 Revell and knock the quality back a bit and you get an idea of the quality of the moulding. It's like a toy. What a rip-off for £80! I'm so glad that I didn't buy the whole aeroplane but I'm still furious that I fell for the hype.

Unable to swear here, I really can't think of anything else to say, except to point out that there are 166 plastic parts in the box of an Eduard 1/72 Spitfire - WEEKEND EDITION, which costs less than ten quid.

y4miBDQqjbBammbXDS7IJdfLt-ivfZwFq-oGmEeK

For the money that should be a couple of dozen individual, three-dimensional parts, not a single piece of 'flat backed' impressions.

y4mDRiLLIvLSaU5qlnKAP-BB8GyPfYQkkAEiNUDm

And even when they try to make separate components such as the very conspicuous pilot's seat, it's flashed, lacks detail and looks like it was 'designed' by the CAD office junior during his coffee break.

This could be the worst model I've bought in the last five years.

• Sad 4

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Bertie Gets Nosy - "Victorious Virgin" 242 Sqn. RCAF - HK Models 1/32 Lancaster (Nose Section) - (Please don't take this thread as any form of compliment to the rubbish kit.)
  • Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Bertie Gets Nosy - "Victorious Virgin" 242 Sqn. RCAF - HK Models 1/32 Lancaster (Nose Section) - (Please don't take this thread as a recommendation of the kit.)
1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Oh my this doesn't sound or look good Bertie especially for the price. 

Nope.

I'll still have to build it though, and making a few improvements would be fun were it not for the price. I'd say it's worth thirty pounds at the most. Hey ho, there's no point moaning about it all the way through the GB. I've had my vent now.

But in view of today's discoveries I'll change the option I selected from my list above

"Now how can I make it mine?

Slice it in two lengthways? Cut vertically like an opened book? 👎 No. That would give unrestricted access to everything in there and mean that I'd have to scratchbuild everything in there. I haven't time for that.

Slice it in two lengthways? Cut horizontally - a Lancaster Convertible? 👍 That's doable. I'd only have to detail the tops of things, as in any other cockpit, connected to an aeroplane or not. I'll have a go at a Lancaster Cabriolet; another cutaway but only from one direction this time."

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to Bertie Gets Nosy - "Victorious Virgin" 242 Sqn. RCAF - HK Models 1/32 Lancaster (Nose Section)

Bertie what about showing them / us how it should be done? 

Cut out all that semi recessed rubbish and scatch the lot and make it better. Looking at it - its do-able right? the top photo you posted, all of that could be ace scratched if you break it down piece by piece.

Show the world how it should be. Make a negative a positive. 👍 

anyz could help...

https://anyz.io/shop/product/AN028

https://anyz.io/shop/product/AN016

https://anyz.io/shop/product/AN031

https://anyz.io/shop/product/AN017

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

Bertie what about showing them / us how it should be done? 

Cut out all that semi recessed rubbish and scatch the lot and make it better. Looking at it - its do-able right? the top photo you posted, all of that could be ace scratched if you break it down piece by piece.

Show the world how it should be. Make a negative a positive. 👍 

anyz could help...

https://anyz.io/shop/product/AN028

https://anyz.io/shop/product/AN016

https://anyz.io/shop/product/AN031

https://anyz.io/shop/product/AN017

Indeed, but I'm not scratching everything. I don't have time or interest to go that far but I'll improve things where I can. Looking at the photo I'd certainly redo the hydraulics for example. 

I'm not spending any more on this one either 😄. I've already got a bunch of aftermarket, and wire, wood, solder, brass, plastic, rubber, paint, card, custard will take care of the rest.

• Like 4

It's just like a Pocher car kit then... big, expensive, inaccurate and you have to improve on just about everything 🙂 

So, you're in good company. I'm sure you'll be able to make something of this, the fact that the kit itself is something so different will certainly help. 

And... you're calm, which is always good. Just don't let that darn "P" word ruin your build for you! I'm sure you know which word I mean but I didn't want to jinx it 🤓

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2022 at 12:53 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

y4mK8lwJNCEzmWPsukwzoXbPSmoyCi_2Nqz6LnyG

F/L J. F. Thomas and the crew of Avro Lancaster Bomber B Mk.I ‘Victorious Virgin’ RF128 QB-V of RCAF 424 Squadron “Tiger” Squadron on the 21st of March 1945. (probably taken at the Skipton-on-Swale, North Yorkshire airfield)

Da Boyz!

Ohoo Bertie!

welcome back to the aircraft 🌞
are you going to freehand paint the Miss?

This build  is going to be very interesting. 

Sam

1 hour ago, Sam said:

are you going to freehand paint the Miss?

I'm sorry to say that she would be far beyond my 2D painting skills. Fortunately, there's a decal included in the kit.

edit:

However, I could have a try.

Just for fun.

If I fail badly there's always the decal as a back up.

OK Sam, you've talked me into it. Freehand it is. 🖌️

Edited by Bertie Psmith
Sam's argued his point too well to resist.
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

OK Sam, you've talked me into it. Freehand it is. 🖌️

😱🙈🥳

I’ve seen your work, you‘re an artist. 
It will turn out great 👍🏽