HK Models 1/32 Lancaster (Nose Section) Project Abandoned, Photos lost.

Bertie McBoatface

22 minutes ago, MRMRL said:

Hi Bertie, it'll be a shame to lose you from the dead animal model fold,

I am a little sad to go but also relieved.

My plastic stuff is now hidden away in the loft for my children to dispose of when I’m dead. 

you're work is always interesting to watch unfold (and you tell it well). Please stay here to regale us of your wooden exploits 😉.

I enjoy the writing. However it takes a very long time and I’m also posting a build on Model Ship World. I have twice as many followers there and a ton of very experienced mentors so my main writing efforts are over there, sorry. I’ll keep posting the reader’s digest version of the Beagle here on Sundays. 

I too am dabbling in both arts, however I find the wooden work so challenging that I can only manage short stints and expect to spend 5+ years per boat alongside the plastics.

So bin the plastic and live! 🤣

I have the wooden ships I want in my stash (Royal Navy/English ships of note), which combined with the plastic stash, should be enough to keep me going until somewhere close to retirement age (not too close but closer than I like ☹️). I don't see too many additions going into the collection now (I'm too fussy about scale and don't do many variants - space "might" be an issue too) and I don't see there being too many releases in my scales for things I want that I don't already have.

I hope you enjoy the hobbying whichever craft you end up doing. I've picked up my bug for it from my Dad, who built models of pretty much only 1/72 RAF aircraft for 40+ years, never really evolved his ability at all in that time. I expect he could have if he'd really wanted, but he was happy doing it the way he always had and never tired of it. Me, I've learnt a lot from forums like this and I've massively improved since I started (although I do think I'm hitting the limits of my skill now), a process of evolution that I've enjoyed, we all find our own groove I guess.

Very true. My old plastic groove became a rut and nearly a hobby grave. I’m content with my new one now. 

See you soon, looking forward to seeing how the Beagle turns out, great I expect if the Lady Isabella is anything to go by. I'd recommend Mary Rose as a future project, but you'd finish it before I do and put mine to shame 😉

goodnight! 😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Race on, you mean. Four months to build a model suddenly seems like a sprint. 

Yes, but you have to wait for trees to grow and such. 

• Haha 1

It's a shame that this particular kit has prompted this decision to leave plastic modelling from you Bertie. But perhaps understandable given the divergence in model quality and personal satisfaction that you describe. I can assure you that your insights described here into the Lancaster nose kit have had at least one tangible result - I was seriously considering buying one and now I won't. So sincere thanks for that. For the money there are lost of alternative choices open in 1/32.

I've been so taken by your work with the Lady and now HMSV Beagle that I've looked up the other site and found your build there. Enjoying your work very much - thanks! I will continue to follow your progress.  And so different from my usual fare of late-war Luftwaffe. I even have a couple of wooden kits in my eBay watch list at the mo'

Wishing you fair winds and smooth sailing

SD

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

It's a shame that this particular kit has prompted this decision to leave plastic modelling from you Bertie. But perhaps understandable given the divergence in model quality and personal satisfaction that you describe. I can assure you that your insights described here into the Lancaster nose kit have had at least one tangible result - I was seriously considering buying one and now I won't. So sincere thanks for that. For the money there are lost of alternative choices open in 1/32.

I bought the thing on an impulse generated by the excitement over the Border Models Lanc. Thank goodness I didn't get totally carried away and buy one of those. With time, interest and dedication, the nose kit could be made into something special. I lacked all three. :shrug:

I've been so taken by your work with the Lady and now HMSV Beagle that I've looked up the other site and found your build there. Enjoying your work very much - thanks! I will continue to follow your progress. 

Thank you for your interest SafetyDad, I'll continue to post the Beagle on BM each Sunday, but I think it's inevitable that the tide will carry me over to MSW by the time I start the next one. It's turned out to be a pleasant and encouraging site since I got over my initial new-guy shyness and very helpful technically too - just like here in fact.

I even have a couple of wooden kits in my eBay watch list at the mo'

Beware of the Chinese pirates! They are thieves and con-men. Some of the boats look good in photos but the boats in the photos are not what you receive. Rubbish material quality makes them very difficult to build and they are incomplete, requiring a fortune in aftermarket or hours of scratch building. (That reminds me of something I recently abandoned...)

There are a few ship model makers in China who make excellent, state of the art stuff. CAF is probably the best known. Unfortunately they charge in accordance with the quality of the superb kits, and that can be in four figures.

I do hope that you try a wooden boat though. Wood is good!

• Thanks 1

Bertie, your plastic models will certainly be missed in these pages. But you should only do what makes you happy! 

But, the question on all our lips, what does this mean for the entropy group build, should it make it into next year's schedule? Without your leadership it would undoubtedly descend into chaos! 

Perhaps a live performance art piece involving a wooden ship, a bathtub and some Zippo lighter fluid? 🛀 🔥 (🧯)

59 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

Due to space and complaints on saw dust I went the opposite way. I hope to join you and the other wooden lunatics one day if I can arrange the appropriate locales!

The wood is patient. 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

Bertie, your plastic models will certainly be missed in these pages. But you should only do what makes you happy! 

But, the question on all our lips, what does this mean for the entropy group build, should it make it into next year's schedule? Without your leadership it would undoubtedly descend into chaos! 

Perhaps a live performance art piece involving a wooden ship, a bathtub and some Zippo lighter fluid? 🛀 🔥 (🧯)

y4mMjJUSL7wahT-CD5c3EHgfAQWd_BYrcsBKRgQk

It wood be very easy for a small boat kit of mine to end up like this, deliberately or otherwise. 😁

• Like 1

• Bertie McBoatface changed the title to HK Models 1/32 Lancaster (Nose Section) Project Abandoned, Photos lost.