Focke Wulf FW 190 AXX best Model with air intake

Markus3105

Hello,

I would like to build the FW190 from my Grandfather Lt. Friedrich Fleischmann. According to the picture in front of his FW, I see that his plane had round air intakes. All models I can find do not have them. Does anyone of you know if there is a model out there with those air intakes? Please find enclosed also a photo of the plane. Thanks. Markus

spacer.png

• Like 7

Your best bet would be to find Hasegawa's Fw 190A-5/U7 "Graf Special". It comes with the high altitude intakes in resin. You can also build a regular A-5 because it comes with the normal nose bulges.

Edit: You haven't told us what scale your 190 is going to be. My suggestion was for an aircraft in 1:48th.

Edited by Sturmovik

1 hour ago, Ingo Ritz said:

but should work with Revell.

The Revell kit is an F-8/A-8. Though usable, OP would have to backdate the A-8 into an A-5 by shortening the fuselage and modifying the cooling slots, besides changing more things.

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/11/stuff_eng_fw190_01.htm

Do you have any other photos of your grandfather's machine? Especially those that would help determine the version and markings?

These intakes and the eagle insignia make his plane a very interesting modeling subject.

• Like 1

Hello Markus
For some reason in my browser the photo doesn't show.
But please note that there were different intakes on the sides. main differentiator was between them that ones were for high altitude boost & others for the use in dusty environments. Judging by the posts above I guess you are looking for a the first ones.
Which scale do you wanna build?
Does photo show which model was the aircraft in question?

Hello Milos,

thank you. It is a pity you cannot see the photos. Regarding the scale I am not sure yet. I guess 1:48 should be alright. On the photos that I have from my grandfather I can differentiate two models. One is a A-5 and the other is a A-3/U7 (with round air intakes)

Thanks Markus.

However, how do you plan to reconstruct the markings if you don't know what was from the fuselage cross to the tail in terms of markings?

Also, which version should this Fw 190 be?

48 minutes ago, MarkoZG said:

which version should this Fw 190 be

Judging by the exhauts and high altitude intakes, it's probably an A-5. Those still got to wear the Eagle Head. Or maybe an A-4, but this link doesn't mention the existence of an A-4/U7. And it mentions the A-3/U7 had a production run of three prototypes, so OP's aircraft has to be an A-5/U7.

Edited by Sturmovik

Besides Hasegawa’s Herman Graf 190s boxes (1/48), Eduard also provides air intakes but with filter (used on A-3/4 over Tunisia) meant for their own kits. I believe my spare box has some left overs from one of those Hasegawa kits. Let me know if If you’re interested.

about those 2 photos of your Grand Father Wurger-  a big thank you for sharing them here!

First time I see a JG.2 machine using those high altitude intakes.

As a personal viewer opinion, the first photo is most likely an A-3 or A-4 given the “short” engine panels. As for that second pis, almost a profile, it sports the typical mottling used in the squadrons A-4 machines. Perhaps both are the same one machine?

• Like 1

Those photos are exceptional and probably very valuable if they have not been previously published.  I suggest you consult with a publisher who specializes in Luftwaffe history before you post the rest.

• Like 2

Gents,

Luftwaffe claims listings  have this pilot with 9./JG 2 and making a claim for a B-17 on 4 July 1943 (it was not awarded by the RLM). Therefore it is probable that the aircraft's full Verbandkennzeichen would thus be "Gelbe 9+I".

The machine is most probably an A-5. Dense fuselage mottling is a feature of all Fw 190s variants produced by AGO Oschersleben. If I had to guess I think that this new-looking machine from the 410001-410275 Werknummerseries during the April-June 1943 period, with the photos taken in April 1943.

I suspect that more information about this pilot and complete identity of this aircraft are detailed in one of Erik Mombeek's books on JG 2.  If someone has Volume 3 perhaps they can check and share any additional information here.

Thanks for sharing these most interesting photographs.

Best,

David

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your family photographs, your Grandfather looks quite a character with his hat set at a jaunty angle (great details of his uniform for the figure modellers too). His aircraft looks very clean so I wonder if it was nearly new when photographed?

The Graf Ltd Edition Hasegawa kit in 1/72 also has the resin intakes if that scale is of interest.

Duncan B

Hello again,

Thank you very much for your answers. David thank you for your investigations, yes that is my grandfather.

After more research I found out that my grandpa flew the FW190 A4 with outside air intakes. The marking were the yello 9+I (Gelbe 9+I).

After looking it seems to be difficult to find an A4 Model with air intakes but I did not find any A3 and A4 models in 1/32 where the intakes from ultracast could fit. 

Edited by Markus3105
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Thanks for sharing your family photographs, your Grandfather looks quite a character with his hat set at a jaunty angle (great details of his uniform for the figure modellers too). His aircraft looks very clean so I wonder if it was nearly new when photographed?

The Graf Ltd Edition Hasegawa kit in 1/72 also has the resin intakes if that scale is of interest.

Duncan B

Thank you Duncan. I guess that by that time the FW was very new, yes. Unfortunately my grandfather passes away in 2004 and only now I have all those questions about WW2 and his FW190. A little late I guess..

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ingo Ritz said:

Those photos are exceptional and probably very valuable if they have not been previously published.  I suggest you consult with a publisher who specializes in Luftwaffe history before you post the rest.

Couldn't agree more. Assume they are Agfacolor slides? Very valuable, Make sure they are fully watermarked before posting more on the internet.

22 minutes ago, Tigerausfb said:

Couldn't agree more. Assume they are Agfacolor slides? Very valuable, Make sure they are fully watermarked before posting more on the internet.

yes, seems to be agfacolor. Most are black/white. 

1 hour ago, Markus3105 said:

yes, seems to be agfacolor. Most are black/white. 

Markus, contact Axel Urbanke. This may be something for Luftwaffe im Focus. I can give you his email address, but he should be easy enough to find via Google.

• Like 4

Gents,

I am correcting my above interpretation (below) and concur that this machine is an A-4.  I checked some other sources and note that two additional photos of this aircraft and pilot appear on page 124 of Rodeike’s book on the Fw 190 series (citation below).

Photos of two other III./JG 2 aircraft in this book reveal similar camouflage to “Gelbe 9”: Werknummern 746 (the well photographed “Gelbe 4” of Oblt. Siegfried Snell) and 748 (“Gelbe ?”).  It is thus most probable that “Gelbe 9” was from a small group around WNr. 720-760. Photo of these and other III. Gruppe aircraft show that their rudders were painted RLM 04 yellow.  Camouflage was the then-standard RLM 74/75/76 grey scheme.

Based on the known Werknummern and observed (and distinctive) camouflage pattern, these A-4 aircraft were manufactured by Focke-Wulf Marienburg (Bremen) between June 1942 and January 1943. The Werknummer range for this group was 0140 561 to 0140 810 (ca. 250 machines), with the above 9./JG 2 examples fitting nicely within this group.

Hopefully more images of “Gelbe 9” will surface such that its Werknummer can be confirmed. Again, Mombeek's four volume series on JG 2 should be the best place to seek this information.

Best,

David

Rodeike, P. 1998. “Focke-Wulf Jagdflugzeug: Fw 190 A, Fw 190 ‘Dora’, Ta 152 H”. Struv-Druck, Eutin, 444p.

• Like 3

Pacific Coast Models does a Fw 190 A-4 in 1/32.  The kit appears (to me) to be closely related to the Hasegawa kit and several major parts appear to be almost identical, so the Eagle Editions parts should be a drop fit.  Although similar to the Hasegawa offering the kit has all the necessary changes for an A-4.

• Like 1