Messerschmitt Me 209V1 ***Completed***

Hi folks. Started this at a recent model show, an Me 209V1 by Special Hobby in 1/72. According to the blurb, it held the world speed record of 755.14 km/h (469.22 mph) in April 1939.

Usual stuff...

20220624-112110.jpg

Pretty box art.

20220624-113342.jpg

Looks like some nice plastic...still no location pins.

20220624-112224.jpg

Instructions, decals, glazing and a teeny-weeny bit of resin(?)

Let's see how this goes.

Stuart

• Like 8

Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey...

20220627-115255.jpg

With everything removed from sprue and cleaned, the cockpit is getting the attention. Now, I'm no German aviation builder but I've already hit a cockpit paint colour problem. I've seen a few builds of this type where colours have been different, so just wondering if there are any aficionados who can help. According to the instructions, the cockpit is painted a 'Light Grey' (Gunze H338) with the front console being 'Grey' (Gunze 324). The instructions tell you that the wheel wells and inner doors are to be painted RLM02. Surely Messerschmitt would have painted the '209' the same as the '109' RLM02 throughout with RLM66 on the font console?

I sent Barry @109 fan a PM and he looks like he has 'hole' in his knowledge and sent me a couple of links, one of which was these images of the Me 209V1. I've had a good look at the pics and I must admit that they do support much of what kit says. The exterior colour is meant to be blue (RLM 24), but has faded a lot and so would the cockpit colours. I am swaying towards the Air Ministry colours of RLM02 and RLM66, only because it's logical. Thoughts?

Stuart

• Like 2

Sorry for the lack of progress but life and paint choice dilemma caused a disturbance in the force.

20220704-100550.jpg

A decision was made to not use the recommended paint in the instructions. Logic, German Air Ministry and other builds have led me to believe that the inner colour should be RLM02, so the cockpit is now painted with AK's RLM02 (1938), washed with Citadel's Nuln Oil and highlighted with the RLM02.

20220704-100705.jpg

Wheel wells and doors painted with RLM02/washed/highlighted. Main console painted with Mr Colour RLM66, a drop of black for the dials and Formula 360 canopy glue dropped onto each dial to simulate glass. Made a set of belts from foil and fitted to seat. When this is all dry, it'll be thrown together and you'll see bu***r  all of the innards.

Stuart

• Like 4

This'll be it for today

20220704-121318.jpg

All but the seat is in. Got a little bit of 'gloop' on the seam behind cockpit and along the seam on the underside, nothing to nasty though.

20220704-121347.jpg

And with the aid of the flash, the insides.

Stuart

• Like 9

Nice work on the interior. Looks to be coming together nicely so far. The wings needed some scraping? I have one of these in the stash, attractive 'racer' lines.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Nice work on the interior

Cheers buddy. Scraping, I think you're possibly thinking of trailing edge thickness of the wing? I haven't really looked but will be soon after I've sorted the fuselage seams.

12 hours ago, Johnson said:

Looks like a very nice kit Stuart, and a great start on the cockpit.

Thanks Charlie. With the lack of colour in the cockpit, I had to try and do something with a wash and highlight...I sound like a hairdresser.

Stuart

• Haha 1

A little progress...

20220705-120531.jpg

Engine cowling on. Wings on. Only a little scraping required to thin the trailing edges to an acceptable thickness. A little PPP required in the roots.

20220705-121109.jpg

A bit of a tidy up underneath is in progress. Also some RLM02 needed in wheel wells, didn't account for the fuselage sides being included.

Stuart

• Like 5

And a bit more...

20220706-111215.jpg

Carburettor intake on. Tail feathers are on but as the kit has 2 options for the rudder, a bit of work is needed blend things in with a bit of gloop. Was getting close to closing the cockpit before sanding the tail but noticed that an access door was missing from behind the pilot and that the map case(?) that was mounted on the LS pushed the seat off centre :doh:.

20220706-111455.jpg

Parts prepped for primer. The torque links for the oleos were overly think, so replaced with brass. Also noticed that photos and box art show a pitot on port wing but nothing in instructions/box, bit of 0.4mm tubing for that.

Stuart

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

No excuses not to carry on...

20220723-152843.jpg

After searching BM, it was generally accepted that Xtracrylix's RLM24 was a good match, so after acquiring said paint, it was applied overall.

20220723-153305.jpg

Little bits painted although it can be noted that painting the wheels was a little off, not easy painting black with tyre black...

Will gloss coat later to dry overnight before decals.

Stuart

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Nice work so far and especially like that RLM24.

Thanks for popping by Terry but unfortunately, the more I look at that RLM24, the more I dislike it, it's just to blue, should have more grey content. So, this being put to one side until I get some paint :doh:.

Stuart

• Sad 1

• Courageous changed the title to Messerschmitt Me 209V1 ***Completed***