Yes, a Triple 1/32 Border Models Lancaster Build...

Hello all,

Having been in the Modelling Wilderness for some time now, I have decided to come out of the shadows with a flaming pitchfork and a backpack full of goodies.

I really have been incredibly lucky; I deal a lot with China with my business and through my Chinese supplier, I have in my possession, 3 Off 1/32 Border Model Lancasters.

Masochism aside, Project of all Projects, I am going to build all three to make a 617 Squadron Diorama!

I need to say as well that Nigel’s Modelling Bench has been invaluable in the researching of this project

The Avro Heritage Museum has been worth a few visits too!

Here are  the three I am going to build;

• Lancaster B.I - PA474-KC-A (-T/-V) PA474  'Thumper' MkIII Flt Lt Bob Knight 617 Sqn Woodhall Spa, England. 1944

This one will be in maintenance to show off the Engines with ground crew all around her.

• Lancaster B.III (Special) - AJ-G Operation Chastise Squadron Wing Commander Guy Gibson

Armed and ready with the crew walking towards her.

• Lancaster B.I (Special) – Grand Slam - PD119/YZ-J, 617 Squadron, Woodhall Spa, England April 1945

Armed and with Crew ready to Taxi

Extras are going to be;

3 Off Magic Scale Modelling Light and Sound Kits

Profimodeller Dipols and Pitot Tubes Sets

Profimodeller Gun Barrels

Barracuda Radios and Wheel Sets

Robert Mrozowski Model Design Lancaster Cockpit Sets; these have extra detail over the kit if that were possible

Airscale Lancaster Instrument Panel Upgrades

IconAir Dambusters Conversion Set

IconAir Grand Slam Kit - Bulged Bomb Bays

IconAir Bomb Trollies' with Ordinance, tractors etc.

Various figures, where I can get them...

Various Vehicles.

Custom built RAF Control Tower in 1/32

Kits World Decals

Whatever else pops up,...

I have built a table ready for the Diorama;

p?i=0fd3101d0db06ce9a4179a4c3c6cfd6d

Here are the three Lancs that will give me so many 'emotions' over the coming months...

p?i=2cb3095f60dbfee26a1d94a2a718db4f

Here is the Nerve Center or Operations Room 🇬🇧 🖌️

p?i=b4538dbdce107381be146de638b835a4

Right then, I could write something gushing, loving and hugging about this kit but this has already been done and it's a given that this kit is something a bit special.

So, I am going to use an analogy here;

In a certain aircraft film released recently (you know the one) there is a subplot about how things are going to be all drones soon and fighter pilots will be redundant but presently, pilots are being pushed as far as they can to prove themselves against drones.

We all know that 3D Printing is the future but before we all go down the future route, this kit is pushing the boundaries as far as injection moulding can go and by God does it so that...

Enough said ;)

So, first production line assemblies are going to be the turrets & instrument panels

2 Front Turrets

1 Top Turret

3 Tail Turrets

Hope you enjoy...

Edited by Crossofiron1971
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

You’re nuts, but in good company. 

looking forward to the builds.

Much as I love the technology of 3D printing ( I’ve used it extensively on a professional capacity) and arguably the actual 3D modelling aspect of it does involve skill, I don’t think I’ll ever adopt it for my modelling as I like all the handcrafting aspects of the hobby.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Quick update for you...

I unpacked the clear parts this morning (C1 & C2 Sprues) and found some damage to the parts;

p?i=bcb3825105593cf93a6eae039368c46b

p?i=eaeb6e8d34640c1f02f264a7c564fd43

I have emailed Border Models directly and will let you know what happens...

All the broken bits were the most prominent parts on the sprue and these clear parts were mid way down the box

The only plus point is I have enough un-damaged glass to continue with the turrets.

Some plus points however for you;

You get THREE types of Bomb Aimers Glazing Blister (helps with the Dambuster version)

p?i=a1e8288eb3ee801d711142c2d65d93ba

You also get the a full H2S Radar setup;

p?i=3f6a985998bf6c616bd750c90e98e4af

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Crossofiron1971 said:

Hi all,

Quick update for you...

I unpacked the clear parts this morning (C1 & C2 Sprues) and found some damage to the parts;

p?i=b782e5cf4a63ae8b63a3c3b94f5ab305

p?i=bcb3825105593cf93a6eae039368c46b

p?i=eaeb6e8d34640c1f02f264a7c564fd43

I have emailed Border Models directly and will let you know what happens...

All the broken bits were the most prominent parts on the sprue and these clear parts were mid way down the box

The only plus point is I have enough un-damaged glass to continue with the turrets.

Some plus points however for you;

You get THREE types of Bomb Aimers Glazing Blister (helps with the Dambuster version)

p?i=bf010ede7745a04ff02e2fad580531f6

You also get the a full H2S Radar setup;

p?i=3f6a985998bf6c616bd750c90e98e4af

Thanks for looking!

Very similar damage to my kit, replacement parts are on their way to me. Good luck with the triple build, that’s insane! 

• Like 1

:o :o :o goodness gracious! Over nine feet of cumulative wingspan. Will be following this one (these three) for sure.

I tend to only build small stuff but that doesn’t stop me enjoying “grown up” builds!

Good luck sir!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

I’ll be happy when my ONE Lancaster arrives from Hannants, rumoured to be around mid-July. Sadly those cracked clear pieces are rather typical of many tales that I’ve heard so far but BM are aware of the issue and apparently responding positively to requests for replacement parts. Happily, they also supply the two types of astro dome, I need the taller later version. 

• Like 1

One would be a challenge. Two would be quite insane. THREE! 

Did your mother repeatedly drop you on your head? 

I must watch this... I knew there was someone here crazier than me. 

• Haha 2

Three 1/32nd scale Lancasters. Big deal. Wait a tick, did you say THREE?! At any rate, selling the kits should pay for your psychiatric care, if necessary. Best of luck (with the kits, not the psychiatric care)! I shall be watching this mega-build with great interest.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. Ye Gods! And here I thought I was a certifiable looney for buying just one!

Edited by Learstang
Additional comments added.
  • Haha 3

On 6/26/2022 at 2:19 AM, AdrianMF said:

I tend to only build small stuff but that doesn’t stop me enjoying “grown up” builds!

I'm with Adrian on this, I'll hang about a bit but with a short attention span like mine, I'll likely have to take some "time outs" ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 1

Not a big WWII fan but Lancaster's were build down the road from where I grew up in north Cheshire. Three, you/might be crazy, I'll join the throng of onlookers.

I do like the quality of Chinese clear parts but do find them very hard and not easy to remove from the sprue. Sorry you experienced the damage. Looks like they were packed incorrectly in the box!

Colin

• Like 1

Hello All!

Bit of an update for you...

Spent this week assembling the turrets ready for painting;

p?i=2e2bef80323c93620a323331de4cf6f9

Above are the three Rear Turrets; note the bottom one is the later version for the Grand Slam Model

p?i=9040be876b60b554cf7a2e6501cc1f7a

Here is the two Front Turrets and the one Top Turret.

Note the four heavy ejector marks on the rear cowling of the Front Turrets

I will show you photos of the Barrels soon, I am doing something with them as on all my kits, the barrels are short shot a little and I do not have enough barrels for the Rear Turrets,,,

Having a really great design session with Robert Mrozowski who also has the Border Kit now.

Looking at the floor and the seat with Robert presently, there are issues with the seat dimensions on the Border Kit which Robert is addressing.

Hope you are all well.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 11